Conde Nast Honours NZ

KiwiIan

New Zealand leads with Conde Naste Traveller readers, so if you are thinking of choosing a cruise destination, NZ is a great choice.

New Zealand has been voted the best country in the world for the first time ever at the Condé Nast Traveller Awards 2005 in the UK this week. New Zealand also took out the top overall prize, beating out winners of 23 other categories.

New Zealand received top marks for scenery (99), environmental friendliness (98.87) and safety (97). Condé Nast Traveller is a monthly glossy magazine with a circulation of about 83,100, which has risen steadily since its launch in the UK in 1997.

• 1 month later...
Dave,

I have been away and missed this. Congratulations, New Zealand deserves the accolade. It is a great place to visit and just so safe.

Jennie

Hi, I also recently heard that the Daily Telegraph in England, one of the countries leading broadsheets ahd also just voted NZ as the number 1 travel destination this year. With all these awards we had better get prepared for the rush of visitors. Theres no need to be worried about the number of toursits visiting NZ and spoiling our pristine environment. Recent statistics showed we had around 2 million visitors lasy year, which is in fact fewer than the City of Brugges in Belgium receives. So come on down and see for yourselves. Regards Ian {Tauranga] a biased contributor.

Hi KiwiIan and everyone else!!

Usually I am on the Honeymoon & Wedding cruises board but jumped over to see what people had to say about NZ! I am planning a trip to the Southern Island this January!

I'd love to hear from a local, what specifically to pack, what the weather will be like then, etc!

My group will be seeing these places:

Christchurch to Lake Ohau

Lake Ohau to Milford Sound – A cruise on Milford Wanderer

Milford Sound to Queenstown (3 nights in Q'town)

Queenstown to Fox Glacier

Fox Glacier back to Christchurch

What is the shopping like? I am from the States! I can't wait to bungee and skydive. What else must I do? What can be skipped?

Thank you!!!

Julie

cruisethe7seas

Hi KiwiIan and everyone else!!

Usually I am on the Honeymoon & Wedding cruises board but jumped over to see what people had to say about NZ! I am planning a trip to the Southern Island this January!

I'd love to hear from a local, what specifically to pack, what the weather will be like then, etc!

My group will be seeing these places:

Christchurch to Lake Ohau

Lake Ohau to Milford Sound – A cruise on Milford Wanderer

Milford Sound to Queenstown (3 nights in Q'town)

Queenstown to Fox Glacier

Fox Glacier back to Christchurch

What is the shopping like? I am from the States! I can't wait to bungee and skydive. What else must I do? What can be skipped?

Thank you!!!

Julie

cruisethe7seas

Hi Julie, from your comments does that mean that this is a honeymoon trip?

Re weather, its our summer in January so should be warm, [20 to 25 degrees C] but as you are travelling in the southern alps and glaciers you should also allow for cooler weather when above the snow line.

It can also rain so waterproofs are a good idea as well.

Re shopping, it is very different to the USA. We do not have the big shopping malls except in maybe Auckland. The ares you are going to will have plenty of very interesting boutique type shops and our crafts are quite unusual.

Are you doing this land tour as part of a pre or post cruise excursion.

I am based in Tauranga in the North Island so can offer more direct help with this region but are pleased to answer any questions you may have.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian and thanks for the replies!!

This isn't a honeymoon trip just yet, we're getting married in April. I'm going by myself, but with a land tour group (no cruise, except the one night on Milford Wanderer).

I did add one extra night pre-and post- tour night in Christchurch.

I'm glad to hear that NZ has different "boutique" type shops, I'm into things that are different from those in the U.S.!! :-)

Julie

Hi Ian and thanks for the replies!!

This isn't a honeymoon trip just yet, we're getting married in April. I'm going by myself, but with a land tour group (no cruise, except the one night on Milford Wanderer).

I did add one extra night pre-and post- tour night in Christchurch.

I'm glad to hear that NZ has different "boutique" type shops, I'm into things that are different from those in the U.S.!! :-)

Julie

Hi Julie, glad to be of help and congratulations for the forthcoming wedding in April. We attend lots of weddings ourselves as we run a wedding limousine service [amongts other things] here in Tauranga. Its a lot of fun.

If you are up this way on a cruise or tour let us know.

Regards Ian

Archived