Jewel Review Part 2 December 4, 2005

alonzo14

Saturday: This was at Great Stirrup cay. We got the first tender out. They have full oungers available behind the all the chairs set up about midways down. Get there early if you want one. The BBQ was hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken with corn on the cob potato salad, and pound cake or banana bread. There may have been other dishes I didn't know about. They started serving around 11:00a.m. It was crowded, but wasn't bothesome. The water is has rocks in some places so watch where you step. You can go out very far before it gets over your head. There is some occasional nice waves that are fun to jump near the area by the two big rocks one of which a life guard sits. They also rent water bikes. It is a nice relaxing day at the beach. We ate dinner in Tango's. Their Enchiladas are different. but good. i had the Fajitias. They were very good. The onion blossom appetizer was good as well as the spicy crab corn chowder. The closing show was the magic act which was short and Romano the juggler. The Aerialist from Cirque Bijoue was supposed to be there, but sustained a minor injury during that show.

Also at 8:30p.m. onFriday they had an International crew show. There was some very good talent amoung the crew members in the show. And on saturday at 8:30p.m. was the star seekers passenger Talent Show. These were in addition to all the other shows.

Impressions and Complaints: Only one complaint. Our stateroom creaked constantly at night when the ship was underway unless going very slowly. This was only a minor complaint and wasn't too bothersome although I think it should be corrected if possible. Paul Baya was an excellent entertainer. They had a steel drum band that played at the sailaway and twice during the day. Ane iroincs the party band also played at sailaway. They are very good. There was a sort of latin trio that played around the ship and one in the crystal Court. They also had a piano player that played in the lounges. There were the usual seminars and tournaments during the day. There were no movies shown in the Theater. And there were no deck BBQ's. The ship itself is beautiful. And we appreciated the fish that swam forward so you knew if you were going fore or aft. The crew was smiling and friendly. We would definetely cruise again on the Jewel. if you have any questions i will be happy to answer them if I can.

Actually, they had a grill going next to the bar on the pool deck. It just wasn't out in the open, so it looked like just another buffet line. They usually had some breakfast goodies there. Then for lunch and dinner, I usually saw hamburgers and hot dogs.

We never ate at the poolside grill, but had burgers both in the Garden Cafe and again on the Stirrup Clay excursion and both were wonderful!:)

I have 2 questions. Was there a country band playing in any of the lounges to dance to? And, were the dining room and lounges kind of cold? This will be our first Norwegian cruise, but have cruised 4 times with Carnival and all Carnivals dining rooms and lounges were so cold. I'm wondering how to pack.

Thanks for the info.

Nedra, It was great meeting you and your husband at the meeting and then around the ship and on excursions. Guess you're glad you missed the bad weather back home while cruising the beautiful Jewel. Our only complaint was that our stateroom, a standard balcony deck 9 Aft area, also creaked like yours. We wondered if it was the whole ship, but I think it was Lynn and Linda that were on deck 9 forward and their's didn't at all if I remember correctly. LOL

The tennis court is the same place as the basketball court. Supposedly different times a day for different sports. The port side of the court is right over Mama's and you aren't supposed to play on that side after 5 or so.

Alexa, You don't say Eastern or Western. We did the Eastern and docked everywhere but Great Stirrup Kay. I know you tender at Grand Cayman and depends who's there first at Roatan whether you dock or tender.

Selena, We didn't come across any country music, don't know if there was for sure. I had a light sweater I wore to the dining rooms and was never cold and usually pushed up my sleeves. But if you tend to be cold you might want a light sweater so you know you'll be comfortable.

Yes, it didn't take us long to find out that the ping pong tables were right over our balcony!! We never got hit with them just found them out on our balcony. For those in balconies beware, at least once a day a guy comes down along the ship with a giant sprayer. If you are out on your balcony go in!!! We did appreciate this as our balcony glass was always clean and the railing too. As Debbie from Orlando said there were no Country Western theme nights like some other ships. The party band played some country music though. There was no muder mystery dinner either.

Archived