MARTINIGUE 7th APRIL (Opera 2nd April)

czechmate

Hi all.

Some preliminary info.

I have been in touch with a company in Martinique and they are suggesting the following - A minimum of 8 people necessary.

Depart Fort de France heading North travelling through a residential area with elegant colonial style mansions. Visit Balata Botanical Gardens - a lush park with the largest variety of tropical plants on the island.

La Trace Road a former trail across the rain forest takes us via Morne Rouge to Saint Pierre - world famous for being destroyed by volcanic eruption in 1902. Visit Depaz Rum distillers on slopes of volcano - Remember alcohol purchased ashore is confiscated on return to Opera :-( - The stone mansion was rebuilt after the volcano and the views are breathtaking. A short visit to the modern Interpretation Center for Sciences of the Earth. Then along the coast to Precheur where we visit the park of a 17th century former estate "Habitation Céron" one of the first established estates on the island. The huge branches of its old "sand box tree" stretch over 50 metre width. Lunch at the estate restaurant, near the river - where it is possible to swim. Then drive south along the Caribbean coast crossing fishing villages Bellafontaine and Le Carbet to Case Pilote where we see a church dating back to the 18th century - one of a very few on the island. Travel via Schoelcher back to Fort de France and Opera.

Price 61 Euro or about 81 US dollars.

I have asked the company what the cost would be to have a glass of champagne with our lunch!

If you are interested please make a post here.

They also offer 2 shorter tours each of about 4 hours and price would be 34 Euros or about 46 US dollars.

They have not given me too much info but if you would prefer - then I can ask them.

One they call Caribbean North and the other Caribbean south. They cannot be combined in time available to us.

Hope this wll be of some interest to you all.

Martinique uses the EURO by the way!

Thanks again Barry - I'll think this one over and let you know a.s.a.p. - might be interested in one of the shorter 4 hour tours - but that's just me, others might prefer the almost full day option.

Salude......"Sparkling Gem"

Are you serious about the alcohol being confiscated? Do they really search everybody when they reboard? I will stick the alcoholbottles to my body like a suicidebomber as an alternative :rolleyes: . Can we take Soda's and other non alcoholic things on board again? Like a machinegun, bazooka or CRUIZE missile? ;)

Whatever you plan on Martinique, you can count us in... But we want to see at least one beach !!! Are you really sure there are no piranha's or other flesheating fish in the river?

We're leaving in 4 weeks now... Yeehaa... We're getting really exited... We booked our hotel in Fort Lauderdale yesterday evening. Ramada Inn Fort Lauderdale (Airport/Cruiseport). It looks like it's well situated, it's breakfast included and we pay about 100€ for the two of us. You may not forget we have a week headstart.... :D

G&C

Are you serious about the alcohol being confiscated?

/font]

[G&C

That is what I have read on a number of the recent posts - also if you purchase alcohol in the duty free it is only handed over upon disembarkation.

That is not how it was when we cruised last year with MSC and it was not the way it was in the Med in the summer but now in Caribbean they appear to have changed "the rules".

Have not known them to conduct a body search but when re-boarding at each port we did walk through a scanner and and all bags were X-rayed.

We understand that when you embark it is O.K. to take on board bottles.

Glad that you gor the hotel sorted.

Robyn - I have already asked the tour company to let me have info for the 4 hour tour and minimum number needed. I did think people might prefer a shorter tour and then have time to spend in Fort de France.

Your command of Italian is most impressive - you will have all the waiters hovering to provide top notch service :-)

Ciao

Robyn - I have already asked the tour company to let me have info for the 4 hour tour and minimum number needed. I did think people might prefer a shorter tour and then have time to spend in Fort de France.

Thanks again czechmate - it sounds like a good plan to do a shorter tour, then folks can decide if they want to explore more or return to the ship.

Your command of Italian is most impressive - you will have all the waiters hovering to provide top notch service :-)Ciao

Ha, ha....fooled you :p Most of the Italian I know is only pleasantries - always learn how to say at least 'please' and 'thank you' in the language of anywhere I am travelling. Rest of the Italian comes from a phrasebook! Looking forward to the Italian lessons onboard and perhaps expanding my extremely limited knowledge. Having also learnt a couple of Polish and Romanian words when onboard Melody in 2002, maybe you should teach me a few words of Czech while we are at sea? :D

Robyn - will post more about the tour as soon as I have an answer - hopefully

later today. I am guessing that the tour office was not open saturday/sunday.

With out little group you will have chance to expand your "international vocabulary" :-). Like you we find it pays dividends to try to say simple things like "please", "thank you", "Good morning", "good evening" in the language applicable.

Buonasera Barry - Grazie for your research efforts re Martinique. Short tour could be of interest to us will give it some thought. Look forward to the the GTG on the 2 April on Opera when we can meet you and the other "tour" group.

Arrivederci

Joan

For the Longer tour at the restaurant there will be a gass of fruit juice or Planters Punch on arrival then a 3 course French Creole meal with one bottle French wine per 4 persons. (They still have to reply re Champagne! In the Caribbean it may be pricey!)

With Varadero, Vic and Carol and ourselves that makes 6 so we need 2 more.

The 4 hour tour. Again 8 needed. Starts off same way. After visiting the ruins and the theatre at St Pierre you return same route through fishing villages to Fort de France.

Both tours have english speaking guides. I have to make payment as soon as I confirm booking so please be sure that you will participate if you give your name.

Varadero - think yoou will see more than 1 beach along the way! Not sure about the piranha in the river!!. Do we send the tour guide in to test?volunteer to go in first

The company say "Caribbean North" is without a doubt the better and more spectacular. To clarify If you read above - after St. Pierre the route would be as "Then drive south along the caribbean coast road etcetc.

Barry,

We opt for the shorter North tour.

Prossibly the longer tour is going to Morne Rouge from Deux Choux (where there is a 2-way, one up to Morne Rouge and other left to St.Pierre).

When the shorter north tour is going left to St. Pierre via Fond St-Denis (where there is a waterfall where you can also swim) and on the way to Jardin de Balata (the Balata garden) stops in Balata-Tourtet for the cupola-church "Sacre Coeur"-holy heart- then you can count us in.

What demands, is'nt it ?? feel ashamed !!:(

I saw this tour in a book : National Geografic Traveler- the Caribbean Islands.

It is writen as follows:

Start Fort-de-France, then to the church Sacre Coeur, Jardin de Balata, Plateau Boucher to Deux Choux, then to Fond-St.Denis for waterfall+swim, up to St. Pierre and along the coast back to Fort-de-France.Tour-time about 4.5 hour.

Is this the 4 hour tour mentioned ??

Henri.

Henri good morning. I cannot be sure if it the same tour you describe although there are strong similarities. My people have not named Deux Choux, Font-St.Denis and mentioned the waterfall.

Remember the short tour can only go ahead if there are 8 people.

So far we have 6 for the longer tour including the French Creole Lunch.

A bottle of French Champagne at the restarant is 40 Euro and altho not cheap it is a lot less than I thought. There is French Wine included with lunch anyway.

To be honest, we didn't follow this thread very close... but as we said ... we agree in joining this trip, whatever you decide is good for us... The short or the long tour, whatever... But my girlfriend is every excited about the 'waterfall', she definitly wants to see that.... Lunch or no lunch, champagne or no champagne, whatever... Go ahaid and let us know the final plans.

G&C

Unless there are 8 people - then I cannot help in anyway at all.

If there are not enough by weekend then simply out of respect to the company I will send them a message to say we dot go ahead.

:)Sorry it took so long to get back to you ///Please count us in .......Do we make 8:DGREAT

Unless there are 8 people - then I cannot help in anyway at all.

If there are not enough by weekend then simply out of respect to the company I will send them a message to say we dot go ahead.

Czechmate:

You are working so hard on our behalf. My very heartfelt thank you to "our special angel" (but I question the horns).;) Would you like us to mail you our money for the two tours we have committed to so far? Spending considerable time for us is one thing, but spending your own money is way above anyone's expectation. Again you are greatly appreciated.

Glowing Amber (Carol - I think!) yes with you that makes eight for the longer tour. It should be a great experience for us all.

The 8 are Glowing Amber and Nigel, Luv to cruz, Varadero and us.

Luv to cruz - Carol. Thank you for the kind words and the offer to send cash.

It is thoughtful of you however I think we are all a decent trustworthy group of people so I am o.k. charging to my card.

Actually I have enjoyed very much doing research etc and it has for sure helped me to understand better the attractions on the islands I have not visited before.

Henri - I have mailed the company and asked them to please confirm if they visit all the places you mentioned including the waterfall. Will get back to you.

If anyone wishes to e-mail me - address is danbarry2@hotmail.com

Good Morning,Yes Glowing Amber & Nigel = Carol and Mike :cool:

Thank you for your e-mail address.

Glowing Amber (Carol - I think!) yes with you that makes eight for the longer tour. It should be a great experience for us all.

The 8 are Glowing Amber and Nigel, Luv to cruz, Varadero and us.

Luv to cruz - Carol. Thank you for the kind words and the offer to send cash.

It is thoughtful of you however I think we are all a decent trustworthy group of people so I am o.k. charging to my card.

Actually I have enjoyed very much doing research etc and it has for sure helped me to understand better the attractions on the islands I have not visited before.

Henri - I have mailed the company and asked them to please confirm if they visit all the places you mentioned including the waterfall. Will get back to you.

If anyone wishes to e-mail me - address is danbarry2@hotmail.com

Carol - I have enjoyed all your posts and enthusiasm - thank you. I just know this is going to be a fantastic cruise experience and we look forward not only to meet you but to share time in your company.

All this can only be what WE make it..................so lets make it GREAT!.

Did you resolvethe train problems? - I sure hope so.

Good morning Czechmate:

Thank you for your kind remarks, however, my husband might have a different opinion (depending on the day). Aren't you lucky your spouse is always in awe of you? Hah, hah.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am just as enthusiastic as a child going to a candy store. I am fairly new to Cruise Critic (only second time) but our group is awesome this sailing, and we cannot wait to meet you all in person.

Archived