Santorini Excursion in May 2019.

We will be on the May 21, 2019 cruise, Venice to Venice on the Constellation.

We booked a 4 hour X excursion in Santorini, which will end with a cable car ticket at the top of a cliff, leading to tenders back to the ship.

I read detailed comments about lengths of the queue for the cable car, and of significant risks to fall, for people choosing to go down on foot, due to slippery rocks and donkey remains.

It appears to be worse during the summer months.

Any hindsight about what to expect in May? or any tip on how to avoid any serious inconvenience/accident in Santorini other than staying on board?

Thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be in Santorini Oct 2019. Struggling with excursions. Not many available thru Celebrity at this point. Most excursions leave from the top of the cable cars. There will be 5 large cruise ships in port at the same time. I expect long lines to even get up the hill. There is an excursion, Oia on your own which is basically just a bus ride to and from Oia. However folks on this excursion get dropped off at a different dock accessible to buses. This solves the trip up but doesn’t help getting down. I am tempted to walk down as it appears very picturesque. Don’t know if my wife will agree. Waits for the cable car can be well over an hour. What excursion did you pick?

We picked Pyrgos Village with Mezes and wine. So I believe, this should take care of the going up issue ( I am not sure though), but we still have to find our way down.

I will also check the number of ships in port that day.

Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

We walked down after booking a private tour and looking at the cue for the cable car... we wouldn't have made it back to the ship in time had we stayed in line. It was a beautiful walk down with the sunset. You should have proper footwear - but it's not difficult depending on your level of physicality. Kids enjoyed seeing the donkey's...See pic...   

image.png