Izumi Chops Giovannis and Sabor on Navigator

Just off Navigator today; we had a 3 night dining package and one complimentary dinner so we tried the 4 specialty restaurants (Did not go to Johnny Rockets and apparently almost no one else did either).

Izumi - on this ship there is no Hibachi. Service and presentation were very good. We saw conflicting information as to how much restaurant credit you get here ($30 or $35 per person w package). Onboard it said $35 per person, but our receipt reflected $30 per person discount. Still, we did not go over our limit. We went first night of the cruise and most food was fresh, except for the fried chicken which seemed to be cooked in dirty oil, it was dark brown and had a certain funk to it. Fish fresh. Ramen bowl excellent. Mochi ice cream dessert nice but obviously from a restaurant vendor and not an item made onboard. Would return. Nice selections for the sushi fan. Grade B+

Chops - They have to be kidding with this place; wife had tuna/avocado appetizer and liked it. I got the bacon app and it wasn't good. Like a strip of thick bacon w Heinz BBQ sauce on it. Steaks were good and cooked right. Side dishes were straight out of Windjammer but somehow not as fresh. Mac and Cheese congealed from sitting around. "truffle" fries anything but. Salted baked potato was plain potato and they poured melted butter (think what you get w Lobster) on it. Had chocolate lava cake for dessert (almost identical to Carnival melting cake; it was on WJ buffet as well) and the Mud Cake; flavorless. No way is that cake made onboard. Note: Many of the items on the seafood tower were also served in WJ on Seafood night at no additional charge. So good steaks and good service, but apps and sides were lacking and really not worth the upcharge. Grade C-

Giovanni Table - Excellent service and felt it had nicest atmosphere of all 4 restaurants. Meat and Cheese plank straight out of WJ. I had pork belly and filet, wife had eggplant. Everything cooked well and served at appropriate temperatures. Too much food, go hungry. Definitely the best value of the four restaurants. Tiramisu for dessert was fresh and tasty. Really enjoyed this restaurant the most and would return with or without package. Grade A

Sabor - Pretty "meh". Guac had no flavor and no longer made tableside. Apps miniscule. Dinner choices basically are quesadillas and tacos. No "real" entrees as used to be on the menu. Dessert sampler small, flavorless. Churros tasted like cardboard. No windows in the room. The roasted corn was good but honestly, again, we saw almost everything in Sabor in the WJ on other nights including quesadillas, guac, and a fresh made to order churro station. Not a restaurant worth paying for until they bring back a menu with real entrees. We got it for free and didn't leave starving or anything, but not a place I'd go back to even for free. Felt like we "missed a meal" by going here. Grade F

Service was universally good at the specialty restaurants and even though our package was prepaid and included service we left another $10 at each restaurant.

Just my opinons and observations; I have another thread about how impressive the WJ was, so saying we saw the food in specialty restaurants is a "slam" but if RCI is going to charge more for these restaurants they need more bespoke options that standout. Pretty much agreed we would not buy a dining package in the future and just do a one off to Giovanni's

We did 6 nights in specialty a few months ago on Navigator did Chops , Izumi and Giovanni's twice each, we loved Izumi , hot rocks and sushi both excellent by far our favorite , liked Chops , I really disliked Giovanni's service and food it was so much better a few years ago, also disliked it in Liberty about a years ago, glad we will be in NYC soon for some real Italian food.

I recall the carving wheel being used on Allure a few years back. I meant to get a pic of lunch menu but forgot. I still think it is closest to a special dining experience at least onboard Navigator