How many nights for tux ?

Chuck & Phyllis

We just booked our first cruise on Cunard's QM2 for next April 2nd's, 8 day Caribbean. I plan to bring my tux, 1 suit, and 2 or 3 sports jackets. I understand that it is common that on Cunard, you have to dress for dinner. My question is: Am I packing the right or enough of the right attire?

Chuck

Somewhere I read(can't remember where though) an 8-night has 3 formal, one of those is optional. First and last night are casual, and other nights were informal. This was the same on the Tandem Crossing which I was aboard for. The QM2 is very dressy. On formal nights men without a tux were the minority. One the optional formal, most where in tuxedos.

I'm going to book the March 9th 8-night cruise out of NY soon.

J.P.

On an 8 night Caribbean cruise, I would guess you would have two or three formal nights.(We had three on our 10 night cruise in March.) You will probably want to wear your tux on those nights. You will also have a couple of informal nights where you can wear you sports coats. Even on the casual nights, my husband wore a sports coat without a tie. However, it was fine to wear a shirt without a coat. Since you are taking your tux, I don't feel that you need a suit, too. Your tux and your sports coats will probably be all that you need. I'm impressed that you are planning this far ahead! Have a great cruise.

Informal night for ladies is "nice"=pant suits, skirt and blouse or dress but nothing "sparkly".

For the gentlemen, I would suggest 1 sport coat that goes with a variety of colored dress slacks. The suit is overkill and quite frankly different sport coats are overkill also. change the slacks AND the tie-you'll be fine!! The tux will be worn!

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Sandramerle,

On our cruise most women did wear cocktail attire - either dresses or pantsuits on informal nights. Others wore less formal but still dressy pants, skirts, or dresses. Most women (men, too) seemed to have put a lot of thought into their evening attire and everyone looked very glamourous. The QM2 is a beautiful ship and seeing everyone "dressed to the nines" at night made the cruise that much more fun.

When it is mentioned that men w/out tuxes were the minority, how much of a minority does this mean? My husband has one dark, fine suit we were intending for the formal nights and a few sports jackets for the other nights. We actually leave for NY tomorrow as we embark Tuesday so I feel we really don't have the time to rectify this probelm, if it really is a problem. Do we have a problem?? I'm confused!

EPS

Well, if you are leaving tomorrow the Dark suit will be just fine...On our cruise there were maybe 20 men who did not wear tux or dinner jacket on the formal nights-definitely a minority!

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

First night was casual. Second two nights were formal. Fourth night was informal(jacket & Tie). Fifth was formal or informal your choice, more men in tuxes than jacket & tie. Last night was casual, I wore a jacket without a tie.

J.P.

Archived