St. Lucia 4wd Safari Excursion

sherry52

I am going on the Crown on April 7, 2007. Our group is doing this shore excursion. Can you tell me if you have been on it and how rough is it. I am really concerned about this excusion as I am scared:eek: it is too much for me. Please let me know how fun this is and what to expect.

Thanks, Sherry

Sherry, we did this trip and thought it was lots of fun and one of our better excursions. They put 6-8 passengers in an extended jeep-type vehicle (bench seating, open top, roll bars) with a driver and off you go. The highway part is uneventful, but the driver stops a couple of times and points out sights. Once off the highway you go on a dirt road, parts are steep, but mostly not. Yes, you do get bounced around and yes you need to hang on to the safety bars. Most of us stood up and held onto the roll bars when we got the chance and whooped and hollered as we bounced down the road. Driver stopped many times and pointed out the various spice and nut trees and took samples for us to try. We actually thought that was one of the nicer surprises of the trip (I will never complain about the price of cashew nuts ever again, either!) There is a short stop at the swimming hole, and then you head back to town.

The drivers were very good, very knowledgable about the plants, very polite. I would NOT recommend this trip to anyone pregnant or with back trouble.

On the following scale you would likely run not much worse that 2.5 and maybe in some points 3 for a very short distance. In any case it would not be anything like the Rubicon - our mostly stock Cherokee has been on the Rubicon - (http://www.californiajeeper.com/rubicon/review.htm)

If you use the "Jack in the Box" Trail Rating System: it should be no more that the second levfel and maybe a spot or two of the third.

http://www.bc4x4.com/features/1998/jack/jack.cfm

0 to 5 Scale

0.0 - Highways: These are paved roads suitable for everyday traffic.

0.5 - Back Roads: These are paved roads that may have filled or unfilled potholes. Typical paved county roads.

1.0 - Maintained Dirt Roads: These roads are graded or maintained year round. Typical non-paved county roads.

1.5 - Semi-Maintained Dirt Roads: These roads are occasionally graded or maintained. They may cross sandy washes and sections may be rough (washboards).

2.0 - Easy 2WD/4WD: Features trails with obstacles that are easy to navigate. In optimum weather conditions, these trails may not require the continual use of four-wheel drive (4WD).

2.5 - Easy 4WD: Moderately demanding trails on which 4WD will be required. You may encounter a wide variety of challenges (Potholes, minor washouts, medium size rocks, and mud holes) on these trails. Higher ground clearance and Off-Road tires are recommended.

3.0 - Standard 4WD trail: Demanding trails on which 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Possible with stock 4WD vehicle, however, recommend traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Low range gears used often. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

3.5 - Challenging 4WD trail: Challenging trails on which low range 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Not recommended with stock 4WD vehicle. Traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure highly recommended. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.

4.0 - Difficult trail: These trails traverse very rugged terrain; low-range 4WD is required. Higher than stock ground clearance is required. Aggressive tread and low air pressure are required. Traction Devices (Lockers or limited-slip) in the differentials (front and rear), lift, and larger tires are highly recommended. These trails require above average Off-Road driving skills. High-Lift jacks and winches would also be helpful. There will likely be paint damage and possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage.

4.5 - Extreme trail: These trails cross extremely rugged terrain with very steep inclines, large boulders, and potentially dangerous situations. These trails require modified vehicles, including lift, lockers, and over-sized tires. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. There will likely be paint damage, possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage. There are possibilities of rollovers. Winches are recommended.

5.0 - Impassable trail: These trails are for the extreme four-wheeler only. These trails require highly modified vehicles, including lift, excellent articulation, lockers front and rear, large tires with aggressive tread, winches, high lift jacks. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. Paint damage is virtually guaranteed, body and/or mechanical damage is very likely. Rollovers will be more common on these trails and a winch will be used on at least one obstacle.

http://www.sedonajeepschool.com/pages/trailratings.html

They should meet the following safety requirements:

1. Roll bar or factory installed hard top.

2. Functional parking brake or micro-lock

3. Tow strap or rope (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight)

4. First aid kit.

5. Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tools to change tire.

6. Spare tire with diameter within 3 inches of existing tires (no temporary spares)

7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored

8. Seat belts for all vehicle occupants

9. Antenna(s) must not exceed 4’6”

10. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e. tow hooks, receiver, etc.

Tow balls are not recommended.

11. Battery hold downs (no bungie cords).

12. Must have functioning low range in transfer case.

13. Driver must show proof of liability insurance.

http://www.cal4wheel.com/sierratrek/sierrarules.html

Archived