Messina / Taormina question

WallyNDiane

I have always wanted to see Mt Etha. This ship excursion looks interesting. I am fearful of heights,especially in an open type ski lift or a hiking paths with shear drops.

I do want to see the Greek Theater. Can I see it in the 1 1/2 hour time in Taormina?

Comments welcomed on concerns/value of this tour.

This two part tour combines a visit to the iconic Mount Etna volcano with an independent walk around the ancient town of Taormina. Spend the first half of your day exploring Mount Etna, Europe's largest active volcano. Walk along the crater's rim before continuing to Taormina, a charming medieval village perched high on a terrace overlooking the sea. There, you'll enjoy 1.5 hours to shop or explore the village before returning to your ship.

Or is this a better excursion?

In a small group, embark on a journey to the largest active volcano in Europe, Mt. Etna, followed by a visit to a mountain restaurant where you’ll savor a typical Sicilian cake. Begin your journey with a breathtaking drive past Sicily’s stunning vineyards and orchards. Marvel at fertile fields and the villages of Santa Venerina and Zafferana. Visit the Silvestri Craters, located 6,400 feet above sea level. Walk along the brim of these incredible geological formations. Then, you’ll enjoy a typical Sicilian cake at a scenic mountain restaurant. Finally, travel to Taormina, a town perched on a terrace overlooking the sea. During your free time stroll through the town’s charming medieval cobblestoned streets, browse the lovely and exclusive boutiques on the Corso Umberto, or enjoy a cappuccino at a local café. Visit the Greek Theater, which dates back to the 3rd century B.C. and offers inspiring views of the snow-capped peak of Mt. Etna on a clear day.

Or is this a better excursion?

In a small group, embark on a journey to the largest active volcano in Europe, Mt. Etna, followed by a visit to a mountain restaurant where you’ll savor a typical Sicilian cake. Begin your journey with a breathtaking drive past Sicily’s stunning vineyards and orchards. Marvel at fertile fields and the villages of Santa Venerina and Zafferana. Visit the Silvestri Craters, located 6,400 feet above sea level. Walk along the brim of these incredible geological formations. Then, you’ll enjoy a typical Sicilian cake at a scenic mountain restaurant. Finally, travel to Taormina, a town perched on a terrace overlooking the sea. During your free time stroll through the town’s charming medieval cobblestoned streets, browse the lovely and exclusive boutiques on the Corso Umberto, or enjoy a cappuccino at a local café. Visit the Greek Theater, which dates back to the 3rd century B.C. and offers inspiring views of the snow-capped peak of Mt. Etna on a clear day.

I can't comment on the first excursion. The description does not offer much detail on what actually will happen at Etna. I did do the second excursion myself. I found it interesting, but be aware that you will not be going up to the top of Etna. The Silvestri Craters are located well below the summit on the side of the mountain. You will take a bus all the way there. There will not be a need to ride in a ski lift or anything. From these craters and the nearby restaurant, you will be able to see up the mountain see the ski lift going up. I've attached a link below of my pictures of the time at Etna.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskpRGjgY

To partially answer your first posting. Only 90 minutes in Taorminoa is doable, but tight. There are only 2 major streets in the portion of the town that you will likely explore. They form an "L" shape roughly. You will likely be dropped at one end of the L and the Greek Theatre is at the other end of the L. You will likely want to spend at least 30 minutes in the theatre, if not a little more. So you'd really need to pretty much walk directly there to make sure you had time. Unless they've changed things, you'll need to walk back to the original end of the L to meet your guide to board the bus. All the buses park in a garage at the one end of the L. So, I guess I'd say it can be done. But it doesn't allow much extra time to relax and enjoy the views, shops, gelato, etc. along the way to and from the theatre.

My pictures of Taormina: https://flic.kr/s/aHskpREpzY

For me, I think I was happy enough with the Sylvestri Craters at Etna. I didn't feel the need to go up higher. But that would be a matter of choice, I think.