collectivo from playa del carmen to akumal bay?

sheeshshe

I think the answer is yes, the taxi waits pretty close to the highway where there are a bunch of shops and restaurants. (Where you will be harassed to shop, so hopefully your Mom doesn't need to add that to the agenda, or there goes some more time :))

There is the $2 wagon to get you roundrtip from that are to the ruins entrance though. One other point about the ruins-- there is a lot of walking inside the ruins, and zero shade. So be prepared for that. Early is definitely best in terms of heat there.

Unfortunately early is also the best time to see the turtles, before a ton of people have a chance to stir up the sand and salt and make the water cloudy. I have been there in the afternoon and seen turtles, but as I said before, especially with a rushed schedule you would benefit from a snorkel guide. (of course you will lose some time going to the dive shop to hire the guide and get started)

Also on the picture of Akumal, that square area near the highway is where our tour van waited for us. There were taxis there as well. I would think maybe a taxi could drop you off closer to the beach, but I'm not sure they might have rules against that and taxis stay out as well.

huh. hmm. IDk about all this! Maybe we need to split off and two of us go to the beach and the other two of us go to the ruins. it seems all too complicated :( I just wish there were more hours in the day to do it all. this is just a big bummer to me. I thought we could really make it all happen.

I really think you would both be happier by splitting up, but do whatever feels right. You don't want to regret it later.

If you do end up splitting up and use collectivos, when you arrive at The Akumal stop, there is a pedestrian bridge to help you walk across the highway. Please use it!!! Crazy drivers on that highway will not be looking out for you.

Also even though you tell the driver which stop you want upon entering the van, I always pay attention to the road signs and remind him that we want out at the next stop. You pay when you get out of the van, and they will take U.S. but may not have change. (or at least will act like they don't have any change)

Maybe you should start a new thread with a title asking for advice if it's too much to do in one day.

People may respond to that type of thread who wouldn't necessarily have an opinion on the transportation options.

Maybe others have done it all in the same trip and could tell you it would be ok, I just haven't had that experience so based on my trips it seems like a lot.

I think everyone would say I'm crazy! HA!! which is true. I am pretty crazy. and I like to make things happen when I get an idea in my head. I can be stubborn like that :)

BTW, how does one pronounce Akumal anyways? :)

Ah..Koo...mall. Accent on the "mall". :)

I have one more suggestion. There is a company that we've used for private day tours called Edventure Tours. They are fantastic and might be able to make it all happen for you, including the snorkeling guide, ruins tour, etc. Edventuretours dot com dot mx.

It may cost a little bit more, but if you want to pack it all into one day, AND make it back to your ship on time, this might be an option. We've contacted them directly and they will customize a tour, have a guide with you all day and provide everything you need.

Will probably run you $100 per person, but it might be worth it. You'd pay close to that doing a ships tour anyway.

It is very humid in this area, and walking in the heat can get more tiring than you realize especially for your mom. Make sure you have water and a visor too. If it is something you both really want to see don't worry about a few extra pesos. This is a once in a lifetime trip and you don't want to regret not doing the things you want to see/do... Your memories last forever and the pesos do not...

ahhhh, yes!!!!! Definitely agree with contacting Edventure Tours. We used them once and they were awesome.

That could definitely reduce the stress level, travel would be covered, and you would have a guide for the ruins and snorkeling at Akumal---brilliant!

Also if you contact them to customize the tour and they tell you it's not realistic to do in the timeframe you have, then you'll know you need to choose or divide and conquer.

Plus you'll have the benefit of a private tour instead of being bearded around on a ship excursion!

• 3 weeks later...

6 more days to go! ahhh! and we still don't have it figured out haha. Now I'm exploring possibly just going to see some smaller ruins closer to the ferry or in cozumel. Going to Tulum has way too many steps and it just isn't going to happen.

well, it looks like we've made our decision and we will be splitting off into two groups. you've all been so very helpful! now I know how to get around to get to those turtles without much stress!!

How are you gettin to Akumal? What did you decide? Is the other group just going to the little ruin in Cozumel?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...