Has anyone been to Kakaw Chocolate

rainbocow

7fmryhtmdThe Costa Maya fb page has a picture of Kakaw Chocolate and it says that it has a museum, but I cannot find ANY information. Where is it located? How much does a ticket cost??? Is it even worth it? I have google searched over and over and can only find one other reference ro it- a bad review on Trip Advisor. Has anyone been there??? I know my family would love it but I need answers.:confused:Screenshot_20170927-112306.png

By the picture, I'd say it's inside the shopping area of the port. There's a post on TA about having a US$27 bill turn into a US$72 cc charge on cc bill. Said it was in port. I'd venture to say it's probably like the chocolate shop in Belize, small store, a few exhibits and high prices.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

• 10 months later...

The Kakaw cocoa shop & museum in Costa Maya

The chocolate here is very good, some of the best I have had from the Caribbean. No, it is not made on site. The staff here is helpful and friendly, and welcomes that you freely try samples of all the products that you wish. My personal favorite is the mole chocolate (pronounced moe-lay), which has all kinds of spices mixed in, but is not peppery hot. Prices are a bit high for all items, as you would expect in such a tourist trap as Costa Maya. The store is located around to the back left side of the Costa Maya shopping complex, as you come from the cruise dock, and along the way to the tour buses.

If you purchase a significant amount of chocolate or other products (about $10-20) and inquire politely, they will usually wave you on into the museum free of charge. If I were not buying anything, I would value the museum admission at around $3 (three dollars), and no more.

The museum is rather small, about 15-30 minutes worth. It briefly exhibits the history & discovery of chocolate. It shows in what environment and process chocolate is grown and made. But the best part is that it is cool, out of the sun, and air conditioned! You can stay as long as you like, and photos are welcome. It's one of the many side things to do while in Costa Maya.

I hope this information helps.