"Noshing" Tour for Foodies in Montreal?????

When we were in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend, my husband and I took a walking tour (with a guide and a group of 12 other "foodies") that was one of the most fun activities we have ever done while traveling. The tour lasted about 3 hours and we walked a total of 1-1/2 to 2 miles. We made half a dozen stops along the way at spots that were small "mom & pop" places typical of Chicago, including a Jewish deli, pizza, oil/vinegar shop, tea shop, etc. The guide was young, energetic, and knowledgeable about everything "Chicago," not just the food. Since that experience, I search for similar tours wherever I go. We will be in Montreal for 4 days pre-cruise, and I was hopeful that there is a similar type of "noshing" tour that we could join there. Does anyone know of such a tour in Montreal?

Thanks,

Shelley:)

As far as I know, there is no organized tour of such. Montreal is all about the food, wine, cafés... enjoying life. It would be hard to pick and well, some of the most famous places aren't that close to each other....

Bagels are on St. Viateur or Fairmount, depending on your bagel religion.

Patisseries... well. Gascogne is on Laurier and so is Belge, but Koning Amann is on Mont-Royal. And let's not forget boulangeries like Premier Moisson or Pain Dore.

Smoked Meat depends on your preferences, are you going to Schwartz's or Lesters

BYOB are you going to Prince Arthur, Duluth or someplace else? Traditionally Greek or something else?

Poutine.... is it going to be Patati Patata or maybe La Banquise? How about Chez Claudine? Or maybe you have another favourite.

Don't even get me started on the BBQ Chicken rivalries.... St. Hubert, Scores, Chalet BBQ, Cote-St-Luc BBQ, New System, Au Coq, or something different like Janos or Romados.

And if I started listing cafés, I would likely run my fingers to the bones. Second Cup, St. Denis, Café Noir, Café Depot, etc etc etc etc etc etc. (And let us not forget Tim's if all you want is a cuppa.)

Then there are the choices.... how about some Indonesian? Ethiopian? Thai? Vietnamese? Portuguese? Greek? Lebanese? French? Italian? Belgian? Swiss? German? Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin, Szechuan, etc)? Korean? Japanese? Or maybe you want to eat in the pitch dark at O Noir? How about a fine steak at Gibby's?

I think you get the idea. It's more about limiting your selection for Montreal, because there is just no way that you are going to do it all.

Thanks, Ephraim. I figured that if anyone knew of a noshing tour, you would! Thank you for the wonderful list of restaurants. I know one thing is for sure -- I won't eat for a month before visiting Montreal because I think I will spend all of my time there grazing! I will indeed come hungry!

Shelley

Thanks, Ephraim. I figured that if anyone knew of a noshing tour, you would! Thank you for the wonderful list of restaurants. I know one thing is for sure -- I won't eat for a month before visiting Montreal because I think I will spend all of my time there grazing! I will indeed come hungry!

Shelley

I actually have had complaints from guests about my breakfast... apparently they aren't happy that they skipped lunch and missed a meal in Montreal. Like I was making them pack it away :)

There are PLENTY of restaurants for foie-gras. But if you are going to go to Au Pied du Cochon, reserve WELL in advance if you want a decent eating time. And be prepared for the bill..... which is at least less than that at Toqué. But then again, it's not like you go to either on a regular basis.

I will say that either is not for everyone. Au Pied du Cochon is very heavy on meat (and fat).

Archived