Budapest to Nuremberg OR reverse route?

K9pal

We are looking at a Viking river cruise for 2018, and have the choice of Budapest to Nuremberg OR Nuremberg to Budapest. Cruise is the Romantic Danube. Would anyone recommend one route over the other, and why? Thanks!

Which city interests you most? I would pick that city as your initial destination and go a few days early (if you can). That will give you more time to explore; you can rest a bit from the flight; get used to the time zone a bit.

We loved Budapest (did a "pre" extension there); only saw Nuremberg as a port stop so wasn't there terribly long.

theory good conclusion bad IMO ....

why extend at only one side??????

we went 'up stream' Bud' to Nur' .... did three day at each end point and had a great time on both sides.

{then from Nur' took ICE train to Hamburg and spent 3 days there ... then came back on QE2, Hamburg to NYC with a one day stop in Southampton. If you're spending the time and money why not go whole hog? btw a QM2 room with balcony was LESS than 'economy plus' seats ..... altho it did complicate the packing!}

dunno how much it matters but I like to consider myself a sailor. The Danube had a pretty significant current ..... going B to N you are going into the current and it is easy to control the ship speed. Other way you are going with the current and I can see where you could get to places 'early' as the current sent you there fast, and then you might need to hang out waiting for a berth (parking place). Is this a biggie? Well, since no one has ever mentioned it I'd probably be one of the few who even noticed .....

theory good conclusion bad IMO ....

why extend at only one side??????

Sure, that is the alternative that worked for us, but I try to be sensitive to others that might have financial or time constraints. Not everyone has the means or time to scamper around Europe.

We just got off a Viking cruise from AMS to BUD and had to do a ship swap due to low water right after Nuremberg - which meant bypassing Regensburg. I understand that where there is low water, the ship swap happens generally at the same place (between Nuremberg and Passau). You might want to consider whether you want that possibility be towards the end of the itinerary rather than at the beginning.

We began in Nuremberg docked in an industrial area on the canal would have hated to end the trip there. We ended with a glorious last night after dinner cruise taking in the lights of Budapest from the sundeck wrapped in blankets, so fun!

The Budapest finale night was magical, a wonderful way to end the cruise!