Madeira Basket Ride

rumbaLiz

Well, we did it on a ship's excursion, but several other passengers on our trip did it on their own, and claimed to have save a "couple of bucks".

Sometimes, I prefer the ease of ship's excursions, particularly when I am in a totally strange (to me) place, where I don't speak the language.

All that said, the sled ride itself was a hoot! My wife and I were laughing very hard when it was over.

I have done this trip on a tour excursion. The only thing I have heard is that the organised trips get priority over people turning up independently. Now I don't know how true this is as like I say I have only done it as an organised tour.

Elaine

• 1 month later...

Get a taxi they queue I mean line up at the dock, you can negotiate a half day trip around the island to include a ride on the taboggen, he will get you to the front of the line and wait and collect you at the bottom. Oh and dont forget to give the lads who pull and push you a couple of euros.Also go for a ride on the cable car thats if your not afraid of heights!!

Hi

I have been to Funchal several times. As a matter of fact it is one of my favourite places to visit either for a holiday or a day trip when on a cruise.

An option that you can consider is to get a taxi from the ship to the old part of Funchal. Ask the taxi driver to take you to the cable car. Next buy a one way ticket on the cable car which takes you upto Monte where the basket ride starts. By going on the cable car you will get fantastic views of Funchal and your ship in the harbour. After you leave the cable car you can have a look around Monte. Visit the church or botanical gardens. Have a drink in the pavment cafe / bar, then go to the basket sled ride. Clear directions to the ride will be seen. Then go back to Funchal on the sled ride. I am sure that you will enjoy this option and is proberbly better than the organised excursion. When you arrive back in Funchal have a look around the beautiful town. Perhaps have a glass of the Madiera wine.

At the marina part of Funchal you will find a number of boats that have been converted into restaraunts and bars. Including the boat that was used by the Beatles in one of there films. So this could be an ideal place to stop for a meal or a drink.

Whatever you decicde to do in Funchal I am sure that you will love it.

Archived