Pacific Sun and kids

DanFromSyd

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of going on the Sun in Jan with my Bro who wants to take his 10yo son. I've got a couple of questions.

1. Would a 10 yo be aloud in the main dinning room with us?

2. Would he probably have more fun in kids club? (he is quite a social kid and even likeable.... I think he gets it from his uncle :-P ) and so early dinner would be better?

3. Will there be enough for him to do during the day? (I'm worried he'll get 2 days in and get bored as he has a short attention span sometimes)

4. What time does the evening kids club wrap up, Ive read both 10pm and 1am?can anyone confirm??

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Cheers,

Dan

when in jan r u going? your 10 year old will have a great time.. my brother will be 11 then an he loves the kids club.. during the day, your nephew will find friends an be with them all day.. or at the days at sea he should b in the kids club all day or just swimming

after 10pm now i think u have to pay extra money for kids to be into the kids club.. but then it closes at 1.. but i think there is a night patrol person checking on kids if u leave them in the cabin

I don't think you would have a problem. We went as a group of 6 adults and our 7 year old last year. She had a ball. We spent time with her during the day such as the craft activities (your boy might not like making earrings :) or swimming. There is a break with kids club during lunch too. There are always interesting activities for the kids. It was a bit easier when we went with another family and then the kids stuck together. Last trip a couple of times our daughter complained that she didn't want to go to kids club at night so we took turns at looking after her in the cabin.

She made friends with other kids and was also involved in the audience participation show.

I don't know if they officially allow kids at the main dinner sittings. I really don't think they would want to sit there for 1 - 1 1/2 hours and have "yucky adult food".

"Unofficially" our daughter ate desert once. The staff in the dining rooms are very friendly and relaxed and organised icecream for our daughter on one of the special nights and got her to join in the "dancing" they do.

Hi DanFromSyd

1. We went our first cruise in June with our three sons aged 10, 5 and 4.

Im sure you will find that your 10yr old nephew would prefer to have dinner with all the other kids. They have their own menu more suited for kids.

2. My 10yr old is a very social person aswell and made friends straight away. On "at sea" days the clubs have lots of activities for the kids. The shark shacks activities are also split into 7-9yr olds and 10-12yr olds. If your brother gives his son permission, he is able to sign himself out of the club to go to the water slide with friends, the games arcade or to get ice cream or something to eat. You have a pager so the kids club can page you and you can hire a walkie talkie to keep in contact with him. We heard many kids on walkie talkies telling their parents where they were going. Our kids always wanted to go to the kids club as soon as it opened.

On "port days" the kids club doesnt open till 5-30pm after dinner.

3. There is lots of activities to keep them busy. If your brother signs the permission slip, the 10-12yr olds go in groups to do ship activities like passanger torture (eg: find a passanger that comes from NZ. Find a passanger that is a builder etc.. etc), crew torture, treasure hunts. On our cruise the weather was a little cool, but there was always a big goup of kids together on the water slide and with the weather being warmer in Jan I dont think he will get bored.

4. The clubs wrap up at 10pm but if you want them to be looked after till later there is a charge per hour from 10pm till 1am. There is no night petrol for kids in cabin anymore. We used to child minding a few times and some nights at 10pm, we left the two little ones in child minding and picked up the eldest and he came to a show with us. Our next cruise in April 2006 we are going to hire the walkie talkie so my 10yr old and his cousin can go back to the cabin at 10pm AND keep in touch.

My son had never been snorkeling before and after his dad gave him a 5 min lesson at Isle of Pines he was out the back of the sacred rock and had the best time ever.

Kazza

Thanks for all your info.

I think the general consensis is let him have an early dinner and go hang with the other kids after dinner.

I hope he has a good a time as I intend to!!!

Does anyone know what the charge is for the 10-1 childminding??

Thanks

dan

Dan

The childminding charge is $5.00 per hour and $2.00 per additional sibling.

If you are going to take advantage of the childminding you must put his name on the childminding request form before 8.00pm.

Kazza

danfromsyd.. u might get stuck wit me if u decide 2 come on this cruise hehe.. the 10 year old will have a great time he wont be bored.. just take him on the cruise, he will love u forever.. its a great time.. new experience.. if u take him on this one u will have to take him on many more

Ausiedisneyfan

Pagers are a $50.00 refundable deposit. The staff will get you to sign a form and they will only charge your account if you do not return it. The staff will page you if there is any problems.VHF walkie talkies are available from the pursers desk. The charge is $5.00 per day, per hand unit.

White mouse

Kids 13-17yrs participate in the Teen Program. Friends of ours just went on a cruise and took their 13yr old. He said he had a great time and couldnt wait to go on their next cruise. Next time I see him I will ask what he did.

Kazza

danfromsyd.. u might get stuck wit me if u decide 2 come on this cruise hehe.. the 10 year old will have a great time he wont be bored.. just take him on the cruise, he will love u forever.. its a great time.. new experience.. if u take him on this one u will have to take him on many more

Thats ok from the sounds of your last couple of posts we'll be dancing up a storm in the club and having a few drinks!

yeah I think I've sold everyone involved on the idea...now to find the best price...

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

On our first cruise the couple at our dinner table said that their 8 y.o. could have sat at the table with them (in fact there was an empty seat at the table where he should have been), but they decided he should stay at the children's dinner sitting with his 6y.o sister who wasn't allowed to eat in the main restuarant.

So I'm guessing your nephew will be able to eat with you in the restuarant.

As for kids on cruises, I've never seen any kids bored on the two cruises I've done. there's too much for them to do. You see quite a few 13/14/15 year olds who look like they'd rather be somewhere else - at that age where they think they're too old for the kids stuff and too young for the adult stuff - and probably don't want to be on holidays with their parents anyway.

Kym

Dan,

On our first cruise the couple at our dinner table said that their 8 y.o. could have sat at the table with them (in fact there was an empty seat at the table where he should have been), but they decided he should stay at the children's dinner sitting with his 6y.o sister who wasn't allowed to eat in the main restuarant.

So I'm guessing your nephew will be able to eat with you in the restuarant.

As for kids on cruises, I've never seen any kids bored on the two cruises I've done. there's too much for them to do. You see quite a few 13/14/15 year olds who look like they'd rather be somewhere else - at that age where they think they're too old for the kids stuff and too young for the adult stuff - and probably don't want to be on holidays with their parents anyway.

Kym

Thanks Kym,

I spoke with my nephew about it and he wants to eat with the kids but would also like to maybe try 1 night in the main dinning room with us (probably the first night) Do you think that would be ok or is it a pick one and stick with it kinda situation?

Cheers,

Dan

I would imagine that you could only choose one or the other as they allocate seats for each sitting. Once on the boat you might be able to change. If your nephew was allocated for the childrens sitting your table would be full at your regular seating. They might be able to squash or perhaps some of your table mates might elect to eat at one of the alternative venues and he could sit with you then.

I would imagine that you could only choose one or the other as they allocate seats for each sitting. Once on the boat you might be able to change. If your nephew was allocated for the childrens sitting your table would be full at your regular seating. They might be able to squash or perhaps some of your table mates might elect to eat at one of the alternative venues and he could sit with you then.

Thanks Aussie,

We wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone else at our table so I'll tell him its an all or nothing decision. I think he is best off sticking with the childrens dinner. I think i was reading somewhere that the parents stick around and supervise??

He was only concerned about not getting along with anyone and maybe finding it hard the first night before he gets into kids club to make friends.

Can anyone confirm if the parents are wanted/needed at childrens dinner?? Or if there is an age that this would apply to?

I would imagine that 13+ would probably not want their parents hanging around anyway?

It seems like if you sign the permission slip they get to roam about within the ship anyway and I plan on giving him a UHF handset to keep in touch with us anyway... I think he'll have a blast..

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

Yes, an adult needs to be with the children at the dinner sittings.

Kym

Thanks Kym,

That will make him feel better anyway, cause at least he'll have either his Dad or me with him on the first night. Which is all he was really worried about anyway.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

I think you will find that your nephew would prefer to pick meals from the childrens menu, like burgers, chicken burgers, pizza, spaggetti Bol, steak, chips, fish, ice cream, jelly and all that other food that kids love than sit and have a 5 course meal.

When we went in June, after boarding there was a 1.30pm "meet the staff and friends" at the shark shack. There is also one after the kids dinner, but if you are able to take your nephew to the earlier "meet", he will find a friend that he might be able to sit with for dinner (with yourself or his dad).

We also found that after a few nights some parents took their kids to dinner, supervised the ordering of meals and then left for the kids to enjoy.

If you are thinking of going in January (school holidays) I suggest you book soon as the kids clubs can get full very quickly.

Kazza

when we booked for this cruise back in may, we had to be put on a waiting list 2 have a 5 birth cabin.. but its all good now, just book soon..

i doubt your going to have to worry bout ur nephew at all.. he'll find friends and wont want anything to do with u apart from when he needs money.. if you give permission to the kids club, the kids can leave whenever they want to.. thats where the walkie talkies come in handy i guess.. when did they come in?

i cant wait till da cruise.. do u think this one on the 8th jan will be packed with kids?

Archived