QM2 Restaurants A few questions.

BettyBoop3850

Hi Was wondering besides the Beef Lamb Pork and poultry what else is served in the Carvery. Also The Lions Pub what else is served besides Fish and Chips. Reason I ask about pub is because I am on a gluten free diet and cannot have anything breaded or that has wheat and gluten in it such as bread. Does it serve Shepards Pie which I happen to like very much. Any sample menus of the Carvery or Pub on the net.

Thanks

Michelle

We didn't eat at the Carvery, so I can't tell you what other menu items are available. However, we ate several times at the Golden Lion Pub. Pub lunch is served from noon until 2:00 pm (I think. I’m not quite sure when it finished). Although the pub was always crowded, it was usually easy to be seated if you were willing to share a table. The hot lunches were always served within 10 minutes of placing the order. The menu contains six lunches: 1. Fish and chips with mushy peas; 2. Bangers and mash with Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy; 3. Steak and mushroom pie with potatoes and gravy; 4. Traditional cottage pie with minced beef, peas topped with mashed potatoes; 5. Chicken korma with basmati rice and mango chutney; and 6. Ploughman’s lunch with ham, mature cheese, onions, crusty roll, and Branston pickle. I tried two of these (1 and 2) and my wife had #6. With at least modest experience in various London pubs, we found these lunches to compare very favorably.

The lines in the Carvery during lunch/afternoon service could be astonishing and the service was the worst we had in any of the restaurants in the ship. The line was swamped with non-English speakers, who we believe opted for the Carvery instead of the Brittania as it was easier to point than to have to deal with an English menu. We only went once and not again.

Best service and some of the finest food was to be found in Lotus - this one is NOT to be missed! The maitre d' was a delight as well. The Italian restaurant was good and the Chef's Gallery was a hoot! The chef was an energetic chap - ex British Royal Navy - who was nonstop for around 3 hours. Wine is included with the meal and we darn near rolled out of the place! :p Seriously, check the menus for the Chef's Gallery and if you like what's offered, go for it as the upcharge is worth it for the wine and champagne alone.

We ate in the Golden Lion Pub once - I don't like smoky places but there are some non-smoking tables at the entrance (you need to stake these out early). Very acceptable pub food.

BTW I got the feeling that the staff would work to find ways to accomodate dietary restrictions - you should let them know in advance however if at all possible.

Archived