Belize Museum

bagelmom6

Has anyone been to the Belize Museum? We're taking the Belize City Tour and Zoo excursion and it has a stop at the Belize Museum. The excursion description states that no pictures can be taken at the museum. I'm fine with that but does anyone know if they make you leave your camera on the bus or can you keep it with you as long as you don't take pictures? I got a cool new camera for Christmas that I'd like to bring with me but I'm afraid of being forced to leave it behind. If I bring a small backpack with me, will I be okay if I leave the camera in there?

If it's the museum we stopped at in 2004, it was just ok. It had pictures and plaques about their history. If I rememeber correctly it was three stories. The souvineirs were on the expensive side and it was mostly t-shirts.

The Government House/Cultural Ministry across the street from St John's is a better photo op. It has artifacts from the British rule in the colonial era and nice gardens outside. You can see it fromt he tender on the way in, building with cannons in front. The Belize Museum itself is bsically a rehab of the old prison and due to the nature of the art work an old artifacts, cameras with flash aren't allowed, as is typical in many US museums.

This was the scariest port we have ever been to and we have been to many. The excursion we took was a tour of the inner city and if I were you I would not leave anything anywhere if you value it. The museum was just OK. Most interesting thing were the large bugs that bore into your skin and lay eggs. The best part was watching Belize as we left to go back to the ship.

Archived