Single Mom & 9 Year Old

melissa723

We will be visiting St. Maarten while cruising on the Allure in August, and my plan was to not book an excursion, but just tour on our own. I was thinking of just sticking close to the cruise ship, maybe hanging on the beach at Great Bay and then doing some shopping around the area of Old Street. Should safety be a concern since it will only be myself and my 9 year old daughter?

We will be visiting St. Maarten while cruising on the Allure in August, and my plan was to not book an excursion, but just tour on our own. I was thinking of just sticking close to the cruise ship, maybe hanging on the beach at Great Bay and then doing some shopping around the area of Old Street. Should safety be a concern since it will only be myself and my 9 year old daughter?

Walk to town and take a bus to Mullet beach and walk to Maho beach to see the planes would be my suggestion for a nice economical day. Your daughter will see a little of the island that way and a beautiful beach and something very unique to St. Maarten.

I agree with Karysa's recommendation. Safety should not be a concern either in Philipsburg or Mullet Bay / Maho. Everyone is very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. You represent their biggest source of income and are very important as they recover from last years hurricanes. I am sure there is crime, like there is everywhere, but don't let it be too much of a worry. Enjoy your day!

Thank you so much for both of your responses. I looked up Mullet Bay and read about the ease of grabbing a bus to take us there, so that sounds like a really nice way to spend our day. We can even grab a bite to eat at the grill shack on the beach!

Great! And don't forget to walk over to Maho Beach to experience the airplanes landing just feet above your head. That is one experience any 9-year old (and her mom) will remember for a long time.

Great! And don't forget to walk over to Maho Beach to experience the airplanes landing just feet above your head. That is one experience any 9-year old (and her mom) will remember for a long time.

I'm sure it is! :D Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Walk to town and take a bus to Mullet beach and walk to Maho beach to see the planes would be my suggestion for a nice economical day. Your daughter will see a little of the island that way and a beautiful beach and something very unique to St. Maarten.

Not OP. Family of 4 /w 12 & 8 yo girls. I found this to be the most informative and will likely follow this instruction later this month. TY.