CareVacations vs. SpecialsNeedsAtSea

Starfire2

I would to like to rent a motorized scooter for my cruise on RC Oasis of the Seas. I was wondering if anyone prefers one company over the other? There is a $50.00 difference in price. Also, do you think I need to pay extra for either their Damage Protection Plan or the Damage, Theft and Loss Plan? Thanks for your help.

I would to like to rent a motorized scooter for my cruise on RC Oasis of the Seas. I was wondering if anyone prefers one company over the other? There is a $50.00 difference in price. Also, do you think I need to pay extra for either their Damage Protection Plan or the Damage, Theft and Loss Plan? Thanks for your help.

Both companies are good. It basically comes down to the type of equipment for the weight capacity needed and whether you have an Accessible HC Cabin.

CareVacations MidSize rental , the Pride Go Go, will fit through a standard cabin door. The comparable one based on maxium weight capacity that Special Needs at Seas offers is a full size scooter that will not fit through a standard cabin door, making it necessary that you book an Accessible HC Cabin.

For general reference

• CareVacations Standard and Midsize scooters will fit through a standard Cabin door. Though you might have to remove the armrests.
  • CareVacations Full size scooter will only fit through an Accessibl Cabin Door
  • Special Needs at Sea standard rental will fit through a standard door way cabin. Though you might have to remove the armrests
  • Special Needs at Seas Full Size and Bariatric rental will only fit through an Accessible Cabin Door.

Have personnally used CareVacations as their midsize scooter the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler is the same that I own. So the decision for me is easy as I will always rent the equipment that I'm most familiar. Prefer to rent rather than taking mine on a plane. Lot less hassle.

Re : Damage and Protection plan. Check the following before making your decision:

• Your homeowners policy might cover this. Mine does
  • Also check to see if your credit card company offers any protection against rentals when you pay with the card. No fee required as it's offered as general perk.

Both CareVacations and Special Needs at Seas state in their contracts that the equipment will be delivered to the cabin on embarkation by 2:00PM. Though there may be times it's delayed as the ship's own supply vendors take priorty when loading the ship.

There are several things you can do if waiting till 2PM is a problem

• If you are arriving the stay before, you can request that the scooter be delivered to the hotel for your hotel arrival. Than request the hotel to order you a Wheelchair accessible taxi. Just make certain you tell the vendor that the scooter will be left on the ship oin disembarkation day . Since I rent the CareVacations Pride Go Go , I know how to dissemble it to fit into the trunk of a basic taxi or load into a taxi van so I never request an accessible taxi.
  • Once on board the ship go directly to your cabin and locate the cabin attendant to ask if the scooter has been delivered. The cabin attendents are the ones that ultimately deliver it to the cabin so if it's been delivered and received on the ship already the they will usually know were it's at. A nice tip will sometimes get them to go get it for you.
  • Or have the wheelchair attendant that's assisting you with Boarding take you to the venue of your choice to wait and slowly make your way back to the cabin when it's announced the cabins are now available.

I have done all there depending on the port of call and the ship. FYI I choose to leave my scooter at home as I find it much easier to rent a scooter for the ship. The couple hours without it is not an issue and I also travel with my rollator.

I have used both vendors and haven't noticed any appreciable difference in their service. Both will deliver directly to your cabin, and pick it up at the end of your cruise. I have noticed that the CareVacation equipment is newer. On my recent cruise I rented from Special Needs and the power chair was older, with a badly frayed seatbelt. It worked OK during the week (except that the seat belt kept sliding loose). Usually SpecialNeeds is cheaper than CareVacation.

I usually travel in my manual chair. I ask for assistance when boarding, and ask to be taken to my cabin to pick up the power chair. So far the cruise line has been accommodating -- while I can't stay in the cabin they allow me to transfer into the power chair and leave my manual chair in the room. Then I'm off to find lunch and go on about my vacation. :)

Unless you plan to take the scooter onshore ---- I wouldn't bother with the insursnce. The scooters have a "key" start --- so should be safe & secure if you leave it unattended like outside the dining room (DH can walk a bit). We used Care Vacations for our 30 days on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas with no problem. Yes, it's a bit tight going through the cabin door but managable. We did NOT have a accessible cabin, by the way.

Unless you plan to take the scooter onshore ---- I wouldn't bother with the insursnce. The scooters have a "key" start --- so should be safe & secure if you leave it unattended like outside the dining room (DH can walk a bit). We used Care Vacations for our 30 days on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas with no problem. Yes, it's a bit tight going through the cabin door but managable. We did NOT have a accessible cabin, by the way.

Though the scooters have a key start, the key is not unique to the scooter rented. Mobility scooter keys are not like car keys.

For instance if one rents a CareVacations MidSize scooter Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus any Pride Go Go key will operate the scooter that you're rented. Therefore people have unintentionly taken scooters that were not their's because the majority of rentals all look alike and it than becomes hard to straighten it out. All rental scooters have an identifying number that's been assigned to you and your cabin on the account which most are not even aware of or know . So if that exact scooter does get left in your cabin on embarkation day there can be an issue. Particularly if the scooter were other person that mistakenly took your scooter instead of theres damaged it. Though this rarely happens it is possible and I have experience someone mistaking my scooter for there's

Therefore it's important to place something on the scooter that highly identifies that it's your's at a glance. I always secure one of the luggage tags that the cruiseline provides with your name and cabin number on the scooter. I also tie a bright neon lime green scarf around the tiller.

To Starfire2 : not stating this so you purchase the insurance. Rather just as an FYI that you need to identify your scooter in such a way to minimize the chance of anyone confusing it for theirs.

• 3 weeks later...

on our alaska trip in june from seattle we were told we had to pick the chair up from the terminal before boarding they said they cannot deliver to accesable rooms anymore. It actually made it easier except I had to carry her walker

on our alaska trip in june from seattle we were told we had to pick the chair up from the terminal before boarding they said they cannot deliver to accesable rooms anymore. It actually made it easier except I had to carry her walker

That's odd! I cruised out of Seattle (Holland America) this June as well, and used SpecialNeedsAtSea. The power chair was delivered to my cabin, and picked up after I left the cabin. When I booked I was given the option to get it in the terminal, but chose the cabin delivery.

In selected cities, CareVacations has Kiosks at the dock where the scooter is picked up and than you drive it on board. Seattle is one of those selected ports.

they told us they can not deliver to room anymore due to some new law that went into effect Jan 1

First off who is "THEY" ?

Not aware of any law that went into effect on January 1st that prohibits CareVacations and or Special Needs at Seas from delivering directly to the cabin . The law that went into effect on Janaury 1, 2012 pertains to the criteria as to who is allowed to book an accessible cabin which impacts cruise ships originating sail from a USA port.

However Carevactions has selected ports that have Kiosks where you pick up the scooter and drive it onto the ship yourself. Seattle and San Diego are two of those post.

Both my cruise on the Allure out of Fort Lauderdale and on the Enchantment out of Baltimore were after Janaury 1st and CareVacations delivered the scooter directly to the cabin in both cases.

Archived