Scooter in Barcelona

mus1cals

My sister is taking a scooter on the Independence of the Seas. I know that the cruise line offer a shuttle bus to the centre, but does anybody know if it is possible to take a scooter on the bus. If not does anyone know of an alternative way to get a scooter there.

Yes, the shuttle bus is accessible. We have taken it a number of times. Also, the metro system and city bus is partially accessible. One can easily map out a tour if you refer to the metro website: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-metro.html

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

OK, I need help. How do I get my power chair from the ship to the top of Rambles?

And from the bottom of Rambles back to the ship?

Jack – La Rambla has a lot of beautiful and unique buildings and includes some very nice shopping areas. However, the two most beautiful and unique buildings (Sagrada Familia and Palau de La Musica Catalana) are not on La Rambla and you should be a be able to see them, La Rambla and the Gothic area.

First of all, considering the size of the Maasdam, you have a very good chance of getting what I call “front row parking” in Barcelona and will be docked at the base of Columbus Monument. If so, you will not have to take the shuttle to and from the ship.

I'm suggesting a route that should allow you to see the best of everything.

Take the metro at Drassanes (#1) to Diagonal (#2) and transfer to the Blue line. This transfer was a bit tricky and some locals aimed us the correct direction. Take the Blue line to Sagrada Familia (#3). When you come to the surface, you should be staring at the Sagrada Familia. You will be there during off-season and should be able to roll right in. There is an incline, but it is doable.

From Sagrada Familia, go around the corner to Purple line (#4) and take the metro to Passeig de Gracia (#5). Go one block southwest; that should put you on Rambla de Catalunya (a prime area of La Rambla). Continue south a couple blocks to Plaça de Catalunya. Then another couple blocks northeast to Via Laietana. Turn south on Laietana. If you are referring to Google map, take the second street, Sant Pere Mes Alt, northeast and Palau de La Musica Catalana should be on the next corner. http://wwww.palaumusica.org/seccion=245&idioma=en_GB.do You can purchase tickets for the next tour on the opposite corner. I think it is a jewelery store, but not positive (memory problems).

Next continue south for one block on Laietana to Carrer del Doctor Joaquim Pou. That will take you right in the center of the Gothic neighborhood. Take just about any street west and that will get you back to La Rambla. Continue south on La Rambla to the ship.

Using the Google map, you should be able to get the distances you will be traveling. Select the “walk” option for the most accurate distances. I am not familiar with power chairs or how they compare to scooters for distance.

Enjoy your trip!

Betty

Barcelona.jpg

Archived