med cruise

We will be going on a western med cruise in Sept. I have been trying to get plenty of info before we go. My concern is that although we are not going to be doing any tours we were wanting to get off the ship where possible. I have a few concerns regarding accessible shuttle buses in Civitiveccia and Livorno. I understand that the ports are working ports and so you need to be shuttle bused to the port gates. Could anyone inform me it the shuttle buses are accessible and if not how did you overcome this problem. Thanks in advance

Livorno:

If the ship docks in the industrial sector, there will be shuttle buses into town. There will be at least one bus that is accessible. Be sure to ask the bus driver his schedule. Now, if you ask someone outside the ship offering directions, they may tell you that there is not any any accessible buses, so be sure to be very specific and ask about the bus with the picture of the wheelchair on front. The lady, while standing next to the accessible bus told us that there was any accessible buses. The bus driver told her different.

Now if you are lucky, the ship may dock downtown. I understand that there is a dock in town that some of the smaller cruise ships dock at.

Civitavecchia:

If you are planning to go into Rome, you might have to obtain your own transportation. The train is accessible to Termini (Central) Station, not the station near the Vatican. However, you must have reservations for the lift. If you have not ever used European trains, I would not recommend this option.

The streets of Rome are not wheelchair friendly and public transportation is limited. There are a number of ho ho buses that can accommodate one wheelchair.

There are taxi / shuttle companies that offer trips / tours from Civitavecchia to Rome. I personally feel that they are rather pricy.

Civitavecchia is an interesting town. Does not have any sites to speak of, but one can enjoy themselves just wandering around. If you are docked out on the far end of the pier, there will be a shuttle bus. There was a “home made” portable ramp for the buses. Again, not all the personnel on shore may be aware of this, you might have to ask about the box with the slant for them to find it.

Betty

Livorno:

If the ship docks in the industrial sector, there will be shuttle buses into town. There will be at least one bus that is accessible. Be sure to ask the bus driver his schedule. Now, if you ask someone outside the ship offering directions, they may tell you that there is not any any accessible buses, so be sure to be very specific and ask about the bus with the picture of the wheelchair on front. The lady, while standing next to the accessible bus told us that there was any accessible buses. The bus driver told her different.

Now if you are lucky, the ship may dock downtown. I understand that there is a dock in town that some of the smaller cruise ships dock at.

Civitavecchia:

If you are planning to go into Rome, you might have to obtain your own transportation. The train is accessible to Termini (Central) Station, not the station near the Vatican. However, you must have reservations for the lift. If you have not ever used European trains, I would not recommend this option.

The streets of Rome are not wheelchair friendly and public transportation is limited. There are a number of ho ho buses that can accommodate one wheelchair.

There are taxi / shuttle companies that offer trips / tours from Civitavecchia to Rome. I personally feel that they are rather pricy.

Civitavecchia is an interesting town. Does not have any sites to speak of, but one can enjoy themselves just wandering around. If you are docked out on the far end of the pier, there will be a shuttle bus. There was a “home made” portable ramp for the buses. Again, not all the personnel on shore may be aware of this, you might have to ask about the box with the slant for them to find it.

Betty

Thanks for your reply Betty. We wouldnt be doing any tours, mainly because of the cobbled streets etc and also because we have already been to Rome. I was more concerned about getting off the ship at the ports and you have put my mind at rest regarding this problem. We will be quite happy just having a look around Livorno and Civitiveccia. thank you

we are also going on a med cruise in September my husband also has mobility problems, what dates are you going as we may be able to share transport facilities. we are on NCL epic, 29 September

Archived