Yukon Expedition & White Pass Railway

Ski Mom

I have searched and read through several threads on the White Pass railway and it's accessibility to wheelchair travelers. I was wondering if anyone has done the one that travels into the Yukon. I am on the Golden Princess and they offer a 8hr Bus/train tour Yukon & White Pass excursion. The train has a lift the motor coach does not. I will need to bring a foldable wheelchair and they can store my wheelchair and will also assist me getting on and off bus as long as I can walk up the three steps required to board the motorcoach. I can walk up the three steps with the assistance of my husband and walk with my cane a very short distance to my seat. My question is has anyone that requires a wheelchair done this tour? How accessible is the rest of the tour . We have 10 people in our group and are not interested in renting a car. I would like to do this excursion with our group but may just opt to do just the 3 1/2 hr White Pass rail option on our own which is totally accessible. Any insight you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated!

I use a walker or scooter to get around and I did this tour this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since you can get on and off the coach you’ll do fine. They seated me at the front of the coach so I didn’t need to walk down the coach. They are great at giving assistance when you need it. I did the extended tour to Bennet Lake and while it was beautiful it wasn’t really designed for handicapped people. You could access the train station and see the exhibits there but you couldn’t go into the old abandoned townsite. Carcross in the Yukon was quite accessible and you shouldn’t have any problems there. It was a very enjoyable tour and I would do it again without any hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a walker or scooter to get around and I did this tour this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since you can get on and off the coach you’ll do fine. They seated me at the front of the coach so I didn’t need to walk down the coach. They are great at giving assistance when you need it. I did the extended tour to Bennet Lake and while it was beautiful it wasn’t really designed for handicapped people. You could access the train station and see the exhibits there but you couldn’t go into the old abandoned townsite. Carcross in the Yukon was quite accessible and you shouldn’t have any problems there. It was a very enjoyable tour and I would do it again without any hesitation.

Thank you so much for your response! That is so encouraging! My husband and I are doing other excursions on our own because I need the accessibility but I did want to do at least one with the group. Can I ask you did you bring your walker or your scooter on this tour?

I took my scooter - I have a travelscoot scooter and took off the seat back so it would fit under the coach. The driver was great making sure I was able to get off and on for pictures when the coach stopped. I managed all the excursions I chose and was very happy with my experiences at each port.

I have lots of trouble with steps and have had good luck using a small step stool to get on and off buses. It cuts the height required in half. My DH positions the step stool on each step as I rise. Princess has been good about placing a piece of paper in one of the seats near the front of the bus which makes it easier as well.

I have lots of trouble with steps and have had good luck using a small step stool to get on and off buses. It cuts the height required in half. My DH positions the step stool on each step as I rise. Princess has been good about placing a piece of paper in one of the seats near the front of the bus which makes it easier as well.

Great suggestion and good to know about the seating on the bus. Thank you!