Seaside Ocho Rios

giraffenana

We have booked, for our party of 4, an excursion with MarvynsParadiseTours from Ocho Rios. We are to go to the Blue Hole and White River Tubing, and then lunch somewhere. I have just read that Ocho Rios is not such a safe port. What are the thoughts of some of you who have been there recently? My husband and I did the White River Tubing about 10 years ago, and loved it! I tend to overthink and overplan things, so if it is not that big a deal, please put my mind at ease. ;)

We were there last March. When you get off the ship, you'll walk to a fenced-in "gathering area," with people on ship excursions directed one way and those with other excursions directed the other way. A woman will write down your name and who you are booked with, and when your transportation arrives she will yell out for you. Your transportation drives right up to the fenced-in area. Other than employees, no one else can come in or out of this area, so it's very safe.

We did a non-ship excursion last year and it was actually one of the more pleasant ports because we could avoid pushy vendors. They do drop you off in the parking lot, where some stands are set up, but I don't think the public could get in this area, because no one approached us selling anything. If you wanted something you could go to one of the stands, but otherwise, they didn't bother you.

I had my qualms about going last year after hearing the same as you, but we are going back in March and I am looking forward to it.

We have booked, for our party of 4, an excursion with MarvynsParadiseTours from Ocho Rios. We are to go to the Blue Hole and White River Tubing, and then lunch somewhere. I have just read that Ocho Rios is not such a safe port. What are the thoughts of some of you who have been there recently? My husband and I did the White River Tubing about 10 years ago, and loved it! I tend to overthink and overplan things, so if it is not that big a deal, please put my mind at ease. ;)

Just don't wonder off on your own.

Thank you, Rhiannon. This explanation was very helpful. This seems completely safe. I won't worry about it anymore. Now if the weather will just cooperate. At this point it looks like maybe thunderstorms the day we are in port.

I'm glad I could ease your worries. And, hey, usually when it rains in the Caribbean, it doesn't last long!