Lifeproof case for iphone or use underwater camera????

RQINFL

I have an underwater camera, but am considering buying the Lifeproof case for my iphone and just using that instead. How are the quality of photos taken witht the case when underwater?

Also, I figure I would leave the case on during the cruise ~ does it affect the normal photo quality of the iphone when not using it underwater? Thanks!

iPhone5/iPhone5s have class leading image quaility. I think a little plastic infront of it should have minimum impact, but I'd hate to think what would happen if you spring a leak or drop it to the bottom.

With cameras you get what you pay for. These days the iPhone and other smartphone camera's photo quailty rival all but the very very top of the line P&S. There is a reason that best buy used to carry hundreds of cameras to just a handful these days.

For my wet and rough activities I picked up a cheap fuji underwater from costco. It produces passable undwater pictures, not the class leading but okay for websharing and computer viewing.

I have an underwater camera, but am considering buying the Lifeproof case for my iphone and just using that instead. How are the quality of photos taken witht the case when underwater?

Also, I figure I would leave the case on during the cruise ~ does it affect the normal photo quality of the iphone when not using it underwater? Thanks!

Okay?! I'd be a little worried about putting my £400+ phone in one of them and going underwater.

Has anyone had and experience of using them?

I used my life proof iPhone 4 case in Hawaii last year. There where no issues with any water leaks. Just follow the instructions when using it. I used it when I was snorkelling, it was great.

The quality of the pictures/videos was not bad. The main issue I found was I could not use the touch screen under water. I had to select the camera app above water, then use the volume butting to take the picture, or starting/stopping the video. I also wished I had a wrist strap, as I was always worried about dropping my phone and losing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased my LifeProof Camera Case for my new iPhone 5S yesterday. It comes with instructions on how to test it to make sure it is, in fact, water proof! I submerged it in water for 30 minutes. Bone dry inside!

I am traveling with a DSLR for ship photos, but while I'm at the Beach…the iPhone with the waterproof case will be PERFECT for my needs. BE ADVISED...It says it is only waterproof up to 6 1/2 feet deep.

Good luck! :)

I just purchased my LifeProof Camera Case for my new iPhone 5S yesterday. It comes with instructions on how to test it to make sure it is, in fact, water proof! I submerged it in water for 30 minutes. Bone dry inside!

I am traveling with a DSLR for ship photos, but while I'm at the Beach…the iPhone with the waterproof case will be PERFECT for my needs. BE ADVISED...It says it is only waterproof up to 6 1/2 feet deep.

Good luck! :)

I'd still be nervous.

Let us know how you get on!

I've used the LifeProof case with the iPhone 4 and taken it in the pool many times. It has worked great. As someone else mentioned, the touchscreen functionality doesn't work in the water, so you need to use the volume buttons to take pictures.

It's kind of fun watching people freak out when you take your phone in the water.

That said, when I am snorkeling I use an underwater camera with a strap I can tighten around my wrist. I would worry about dropping the phone in the ocean if the water were deeper than about 8 feet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought some waterproof cases for my phone to keep it safe with me whilst I snorkel in Vanuatu in 18 days time. I've water tested it putting tissue inside seems to be fine. I'm backing up any photos before I go, but it has me pretty nervous. The case floats (I even put a heavy noodle bowl on it in the sink to submerse it and it made the bowl rise), it also has strap and arm band so that should give me peace of mind. Have to figure out how to take photos with it on it, I don't use underwater cameras let alone normal cameras very often anymore as I prefer the quality and the ability to capture special moments on my iPhone. If it works I will update you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't personally trust a life proof case for diving. I'm looking at getting a proper iPhone dive case, like a "Seashell" or a "Watershot", I'm sure the life proof would be fine in the sink, but snorkeling in 10' of water I would be more comfortable with a real dive case.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Theres a big difference between depths in diving & snorkeling, diving generally consists of using scuba tanks & going below 33', snorkeling you may at best get to 12 ft depending on your bouyancy & how long you can hold your breath.

Personally, I wouldnt trust the lifeproof case, or anything around a $400+ cellphone but thats me. And I do dive, well used too, been a couple years now.

So as such I have a dedicated camera for snorkeling & diving, we have an old sealife film camera & a older sealife digi P&S, both are designed for diving. I can use my new Pentax WG-3 up to 40' or so.

But then again, YMMV, different strokes for different folks but I'm not putting either my iphone 4 or 5 to such a test. ;P

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a lifeproof FRE but took it back and went for the Otter Armor case instead. It just seemed like a higher quality case.

Both waterproof up to 6.6 ft for up to 30 min.

I've done the soak test, left it underwater for 30 min, and not a single drop of water in the case.

I am ready to use it on our 14 day cruise this weekend, and I will be glad to share photos when I return.

I also wanted to see photo quality before buying, because I love my DSLR but I don't want to take it to the beach, and on excursions.

I am hoping that the photos come out great, I have high expectations. I really want to be able to take amazing photos in/under the water with my brand new iPhone 5S.

Edited by funmamas

I just upgraded to the iPhone 5s but for my next cruise I just bought the Olympus Tough TG-2iHS. The phone is fine for a casual camera but it I need the phone, apps, contacts etc. and I don't want to take chances with something that is only rated to 6 1/2 feet. The Olympus camera will take nice pictures/video. I snorkel and Subna (nor dive) so the camera can go deeper. The case for the iPhone is likely good for protection from rain/dropping in puddles. That case is really not meant for deep water IMHO.