Help!!! Need LOTS of info!! :-)

SissasMomE

Ok - here's the deal. I've never been on HAL, so I have no idea what ship to look at. We want to do Caribbean - preferrably Western in November of this year. I'd like a newer ship. I usually sail Princess or Royal Caribbean and would like a change. My question is - what is your favorite HAL ship and why? Are there any older ships that are in need to refurbishment that we should definitely avoid? Also, how are the kids' programs?

Thanks!!

The newer HAL ships are geared more toward families so the Vista class would probably work best for you. It looks like the Westerdam will be the only one doing Western Caribbean in Nov. It's one of the newest ships so should be in wonderful shape.

Veendam is doing two different Western itineraries in November. Veendam is on her way to drydock for upgrades and any necessary refurbishments. We sailed her last January and loved her. Great ship with a great crew. There have been a few recent threads here on this board by people who sailed her this October or November and had wonderful cruises.

You mention children's program so you'll be happy to hear Veendam (and all HAL ships) are upgrading their facilities for Club HAL programs.

Do you like to party hearty?

Are you laid back and do your own thing?

This would all be helpful in trying to suggest what you might like about HAL...whether a Vista Class Ship or one of the other would be more to your liking.

Welcome to HAL......You're 'Gonna Love It!!! :)

I've been on the Veendam on its western caribbean itinerary. This ship is about ten years old, middle-aged by modern cruise ship standards. However, it is extremely well maintained, with very little sign of age. It is my understanding that all HAL ships are equally well maintained. The cabins have all the same amenites that you are likely to find on just about any ship and the public areas are beautiful and spotlessly clean. As someone else pointed out, she is going into drydock soon for regular maintenance and to receive its SOE upgrades.

As on all HAL ships, even those that have not been in drydock recently, many of the SOE upgrades that don't require major construction have already been done. For example, the bedding has been upgraded and is wonderful.

Our son is 26 and no longer vacations with us, so I can't comment on the kids programs. On our cruise on Veendam, the cruise director mentioned that there were over 200 kids aboard (out of a total of 1,200 pax). We never noticed that kids were overrunning the place and annoying the adults on board, as we did on Carnival. I know that they do have organized activities for kids.

If you're the party-till-dawn and "what happens aboard ship stays aboard ship" type of person, HAL may not be for you. HAL is one of the more traditional cruise lines. They still have assigned seating in the dining rooms and formal nights, when a suit is required and a tux is recommended. If you want something more laid back and less formal, you might feel a little out of place, although there are plenty of alternatives aboard.

Paul Noble

Archived