Ordering Liquor for the Cabin on the QM2

wulicny

Being that I don't really want to smuggle liquor on board for this trip (not that I haven't done it before), how would one go about ordering a few bottles prior to the cruise? We would expect them to be in our room when we boarded (or at least shortly thereafter).

I was thinking of one bottle of good vodka, one of good rum, and perhaps a bottle of bubbly. I expect these would be charged to our room, or I could pay for it ahead of time - either way.

Thanks,

Bill

You can order bottles and set ups from the room service menu. I don't recall seeing any other place to buy bottles on board. I believe that the prices were reasonable as well. We brought some of our favorite bottles of wine with us and paid a corkage fee in the dining room.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning a cocktail party on one night of my cruise (Carribean/ FLL-NYC) and wonder, if in addition to ordering some champagne, can I order hors d'oeuvres? I canont see myself bringing taco chips and canned salsa in my luggage.

Thanks,

Jane in PHL (Seabourn Cruiser)

If I remember correctly, hot & cold hors d'oeuvres was $10 per person and cold only $8 per person when I was aboard. If you want to use one of the lounges for your party phone the public room manager. He or she will discuss what food and drink you would like. You only pay for the food and drink, the waiters and room (if used) are not charged. It is usual to tip the waiters though.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Thanks! I plan to entertain in my suite and we will be a small group of 8 or so. I figured there was some way to arrange it. On the Seabourn line, it's all free. Wel, it's really all paid up front with the fare<G>.

Jane in PHL (of course, if I meet new friends from Cruise.Critic on board...could be more!)

Jane:

I do not recommend the Cold canapés. We had them several times pre dinner in our friend’s Q5 suite and they were nothing to rave about and sometimes difficult to identify. These are the canapés delivered by your butler as part of the QG experience.

Cunard will let you walk on the ship with “fine wine” – it is liquor that is not permitted. If you consume the Champagne in your cabin, am certain the butler will de-cork and pour. IF you would like anything that you bring on board served in the DR then the corkage fee applies.

You will find QM2 is not as Seabourn or Radisson in that you are nickeled and dimed for everything just as on a Mainstream ship. When we sailed in May on a 3 day CTN no lobster was served in Britannia DR. Cunard does serve this on sailings of less than 5 days, however, this past weekend we went on a CTN for only 2 days on the Carnival Legend, Lobster was served which I thought most amusing given Cunard’s exorbitant fares compared to Carnival (and the food is quite good on the Legend, the alternative restaurant first rate). We were in a suite and ordered canapés which were far superior to those served on QM2.

Are you sailing on November 6th with us?

We did it without a problem.

There are refridgerators in the rooms, so you can even keep the mixes cold.

BTW--mixers a bit pricy (1.50 U.S. for a small can of club soda).

Cheers!

Joyce

--Currently enroute from Livorno to Lisbon on the QM2

Jane:

You will find QM2 is not as Seabourn or Radisson in that you are nickeled and dimed for everything just as on a Mainstream ship. When we sailed in May on a 3 day CTN no lobster was served in Britannia DR. Cunard does serve this on sailings of less than 5 days, however, this past weekend we went on a CTN for only 2 days on the Carnival Legend, Lobster was served which I thought most amusing given Cunard’s exorbitant fares compared to Carnival (and the food is quite good on the Legend, the alternative restaurant first rate). We were in a suite and ordered canapés which were far superior to those served on QM2.

Are you sailing on November 6th with us?

Thanks for the advice. I am not sailing until February 26, to the Carribean. I am going with a group, and it took a bit of persuasion for me to consider a large ship<G> However, I don't think I am eligible for a butler; I am a 'Britannia' class and on the 11th deck. I can manage champagne and thanks for the advice on the cold snacks.

Jane

Thanks! I plan to entertain in my suite and we will be a small group of 8 or so. I figured there was some way to arrange it. On the Seabourn line, it's all free. Wel, it's really all paid up front with the fare<G>.

Jane: Since you posted that you were entertaing in your suite, I had assumed you were in Queens Grill.

The balcony's on Deck 11 Brittania cabins are actually smaller than in the Hull balcony lower cat cabins, but you should be able to accommodate 8 people in the cabin and balcony together.

We sailed on Radisson this past June and I was so impressed with everything, the entire small ship experience and all inclusive cost. It still cost us less on Radisson and all it entails (all suite) pp/day than in Brittania Cat on Cunard.

I guess my Seabourn 'habits' die hard, all accommodations are called 'suites' and even the lowest category without a balcony would fit 8 people. If needed, I can figure things out and hold the party somewhere else, or bag it all together<G>. I hope that the 11th tier balcony provides me with more visibility than my travel agent led me to believe of the hull balconies. I visited the Raddison in Bermuda last month, and those balconies are larger but the room is smaller than on Seabourn. NO matter, we all get stuck on a favorite. I figure that the QM2 is the biggest and newest and I am looking forward to having a new cruising experience.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Jane in PHL

Jane

I have the same problem with thinking suite having been on Radisson. I understand that the cabins with just the window are larger through.

How did you like the August trip? My sister and niece and I had the week of Aug 14th to go to Bermuda but the ship was in Iceland so we went on the Celebrity Zenith which was nice as we had 2 port days in St Georges (no stop in Norfolk) but of course they nickel and dime one for everything and the cabins are so small and there are no balconies, still we had fun and the cuisine was superb – Michael Roux. All in all, they were very good to us and this ship was beautiful – 15 years old but in great shape and lots of teak.

On Radisson in June we dined with the golf pro and his wife, the entertainers (singer and pianist). The Rabbs (Cruise Dir and Asst) were just down the hall from our Cabin so we would meet up with them coming and going. We loved those trivia games. We also loved the chef and the restaurant chief who visited our table every night – did you go on the galley and bridge tour? Everything was sort of like what one expects after watching the Love Boat – I loved the small ship experience.

My one and only complaint with Radisson was Afternoon Tea and what passes for scones. The tables were too crowded and we much preferred being served the sandwiches and delicacies as on Cunard. Cunard does tea properly for the most part – except the sandwiches are a bit doughy, but the scones and cream are first rate. However, the tea comes in tea bags – you’ll see them hanging over the pot – but at least it’s Tetley. The harpist is always wonderful.

The best thing about the cabin on Radisson was that table and how they did it up like a regular restaurant table for breakfast – and in port we dined on the balcony. The only thing we did not like in the cabin was those minty toiletries, but that bathroom and walk in closet. I will miss the bar and soda set up. Radisson has spoiled me and I think that I may have

A big problem going back on Cunard – have to prepare myself.

The best was when I went to purchase postage stamps and the receptionist took my post cards stating she would take care of everything – no charge.

I even loved the washer dryers – everything came out perfectly and you did not have to add or measure anything.

Am sure that your party on QM2 will go off without a hitch.

Jeanne

I did not sail on the Radisson, just met friends there for lunch. I had just returned from the Northern Capitals cruise on the Seabourn Pride and did not want another cruise, so flew to Bermuda, staying at 'Waterloo House' and then visited my friends, who docked first in Hamilton and then in St George. Funny thing, my uncle was on that cruise and on the same floor as my friends and I never knew it. Imagine how startled I would have been to 'run' into him. However, he was off the ship at church when I went for lunch.

I am now signed and deposited, as it were for the QM2 and am looking forward to meeting my new 2600+ friends<G>.

Jane in PHL

Archived