South America back to back with the Norwegian Sun

caneable

The use of San Antonio as a point of start and departure is a new situation. only one Sun it in has done the back to back Buenos Aires - San Antonio - Miami cruise. Another will do it late fall/ early winter this year, then we will be on board in March 2019 on the third such run.

Currently I’m looking at excursion opportunities from San Antonio. However, before going ahead I want to think through the process. Under the old route through Valparaíso there were good options within the city, and some of those have been offered to me now. However, the big difference is that we will have to travel from San Antonio to Valparaiso and back and I wonder just how much of an issue that could be. How easy is it for in transit passengers to disembark when the main disembarkation is going on? Obviously, the journey time will affect how much can be done, but how much? Does anyone have any experience of the route from San Antonio to Valparaiso? Would it be more sensible to consider an excursion to Santiago instead? Any other issues anyone has had with this aspect of the itinerary?

Thanks for any helping on any of the above questions.

The use of San Antonio as a point of start and departure is a new situation. only one Sun it in has done the back to back Buenos Aires - San Antonio - Miami cruise. Another will do it late fall/ early winter this year, then we will be on board in March 2019 on the third such run.

Currently I’m looking at excursion opportunities from San Antonio. However, before going ahead I want to think through the process. Under the old route through Valparaíso there were good options within the city, and some of those have been offered to me now. However, the big difference is that we will have to travel from San Antonio to Valparaiso and back and I wonder just how much of an issue that could be. How easy is it for in transit passengers to disembark when the main disembarkation is going on? Obviously, the journey time will affect how much can be done, but how much? Does anyone have any experience of the route from San Antonio to Valparaiso? Would it be more sensible to consider an excursion to Santiago instead? Any other issues anyone has had with this aspect of the itinerary?

I was on the Sun Miami to San Antonio cruise last December.

The facilities at the port were basic but very efficient. There was very little tourist infrastructure in San Antonio but most of the Valparaiso tour operators adjusted their operations for the new port. They have to chase the cruise ships or lose their business. I suggest you look at the Valparaiso websites for excursions. They will pick up from San Antonio.

So you are going to be in transit in San Antonio? It's no issue getting off the ship- BUT, if you want your new room key, there will be a time you can get it- IF you are moving cabins? Won't be available until the room is vacated. IF you happen to be in the same cabin- you should get a card with your end date on it. IF not you are going to have to get a new card.

But- you can just pick up the card later as well, will take up time when you return to the port, however.

Anyway- I pretty much always take Tur bus in Chile and have been to Valparaiso multiple times. I always walk up and and get tickets. There is one hourly bus between the 2 cities. At the far end of the port entry, the bus station shuttle bus is there. I used this bus service twice, this season. Not sure I would bother with a day trip to Valparaiso if that is what you are thinking- not really enough time, and nope, wouldn't go to Santiago either. :) In Valparaiso, I simply walk from the bus station and use the Metro when I stay there.

A cab will run you in the range of $150 but if you can't manage, getting around on your own then it may be well worth it. I take the public buses and Metros all over in south America. It's not for everyone.

Thanks dwl16 and Buget Queen, I’ve been looking through Valparaiso companies and have a good recommendation for Patatour. We have the same cabin for both sectors but that’s a useful point as anyone needing to switch could impact on group tours. Do NCL use two separate exits for passengers ending their cruise and those rejoining?