8 month old baby, no carseat, what's in walking distance?

sweetpea916

I'm considering a Mexican riviera cruise on Vision of the Seas that stops in Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta, but we'll have our 8 month old baby with us and aren't planning on taking the carseat with us so transportation outside the port area would be difficult.

Could someone give us some suggestions or tips for beaches, shopping, sight-seeing, etc. that's within walking distance of the piers? DH and I don't mind long walks, we'll have the baby-pack to carry her around. But I'd rather not have to take a cab or bus or anything due to the safety issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!

In Cabo we took a water taxi to the beach. In Puerto Vallarta we walked a few blocks to an all inclusive hotel/resort and hung out for the day. The walk back was less scarey but harder because we just walked back to the pier on the sand. In Mazatlan we took the carseat and took a taxi to another all inclusive for the day. My son was 3 at the time so he played on the beach in the sand.

I think one of the joys of cruising is a week without car seats!

In Puerto Vallarta, the Krystal Hotel is an easy walk from the ship. I have done it by myself with my twins twice, and it's safe and easy. I bring my double stroller, which is a little difficult on the uneven road at times, but completely do-able and you may want to consider the stroller because it makes a perfect place for your child to nap while you're out. If you do a search for the Krystal here, someone has posted perfect walking directions for a back way. The first time, I took the main route, which was much longer. The back way is shorter and leads to an entrance that's closer to the pool/beach than the main entrance (this is a huge place). It's $20 per adult for a day pass, but that amount is applied to your food and beverage, so we just have lunch there. They have a playground with swings your child may enjoy (go there first because it gets too hot later in the day). There's a spectacular kids pool and wonderful shaded areas on the beach, close enough to drag a huge double stroller to, so your stroller would work fine.

In Cabo, you can take the stroller on the tender and walk to the shops/restaurants. Also, the Lands End boat tour leaves directly from the dock once you get off the tender.

Mazatlan is more difficult - there is nothing walking distance from the port. All you can do there without car seats is take the tram to the entrance of the port (your child can ride in the stroller on the tram - it just rolls up where the wheelchair entrance is) and there is a a mercado shopping area.

I love this route for my todders. We're doing it for the fourth time in January - it's so easy to just pull up to the port and leave the car seat behind.

Have a great time!

- Mia

Archived