"Wilma the Wrecker"

Martita B.

Sailor's, yet another devastating hurricane!! When the cold front steers "Wilma the Wench" to Florida and across the state, I so hope "she" doesn't call on the Pride. The Pride ship is suppose to be in South Carolina next Tuesday, and on down to Amelia Island and Port Canaveral later in the week. Perhaps a change of ports?

I feel so badly for Cancun and Cozumel.......they depend on tourism and the cruise ships for their livelihood. And my heart goes out to Florida......

Let's all hope and pray that "Wilma" will be reduced down to a mere tropical storm and won't cause too much damage.

MB

mcboo......and I hope that "Wilma" does not call on Blue Laggon Dr.! I remember so well last year, a hurricane (can not recall which one) hit Miami AND flooded our Blue Lagoon office's. We were starting our voyage from Ireland to St. John's and because of no satalite service coming from our Headquarter's WE had NO service. Them to make the matter worse, the fellow that was on his way to repair the satalite in Miami, was in an automobile accident!

With ALL these devastating hurricanes, floods, mudslides, Calif. fires, etc., I'm beginning to think God is mad at us!

MB

The Pride was overnight in Philly yesterday and today. Naturally, the weather is horrid, as it is each time she docks here. Of course, I feel personally responsible. I had left information and directions for the wait and salon staff to get to South Street, the area they might enjoy most. I also gave them my phone number in case they 1) got in trouble 2) ran out of money or 3) wanted to go to the outlet shops. No rings yet. My uncle is also on this cruise. Jane

Jane, Miss Alene had a luncheon for a few Officer's yesterday in Baltimore, in her home. We visited this morning and she said, "I have enough food left over to feed Cox's Army!" I bet she does too! I sure wish she would overnight me some of her leftovers......shrimp salad, chicken salad, macaroni salad, fruit salad, etc., etc. hot rolls and several desserts!

I know they had a wonderful time with her.:) They all miss her when she's not on board.

MB

Speaking of Miss Alene (and you) ,I was checking out Norm's photos site and it was like looking at a family album. And don't you look regal in your tiara! We never had our crossing tug-o-war because it kept being cancelled because of the rough seas. Jane

I looked at all of them, but was commenting on the 'Royal Affair' pictures. You know,the one with you wearing a sash with more medals than George V. Everyone was having such a good time; that was quite obvious. Jane

Jane......"The Royal Affair" was bitter-sweet for me as Herman and I had planned it together......actually started our plans the year before ON the Pride, right after "The All Stars Hall of Fame" Crossing. I have never had such an "involved" party in my life.......all the royal sashes, medals, badges, crowns, tiaras, etc. And sweet Herman was so excited! He was to wear his long tux tails. I had flown to Ft. Lauderdale especially to "hand deliver" a few of his royal medals to him. After we learned of his illness and after his death in Zurich, in Jan., I was totally devastated, but very determined to continue working and planning our "Royal Gala." It was certainly a night to remember.....speaking of nights......we had an investiture and "knighted" Captain T.T. I had planned the skit which turned out to be quite the comical theater! The funniest actor was KEVIN wearing a bronze tassled viking helmet!

Yes, an unforgettable evening, making wonderful memories on the Seabourn Pride White Castle......

Sail on, smooth seas and blue skies above!

Martita B.

Have any of you been watching T.V. and seeing the damage being done to Cancun? And Cozumel? CNN is now saying that Wilma will be "pounding" the two Islands for 6 to 8 hours! They are reporting that it looks as if Wilma will actually devastate "Hotel row" in Cancun........soooo sad. Not good. I just so hope that the Florida Keys will not receive as much damage as first thought......we'll stay tuned.

MB

Certainly hoping all of our CC friends and fellow shipmates who live in Florida are well and without too much destruction to their homes and properties.

Please post and give us full reports......

We are worried.

Hugs sent!

Martita B.

Miss Martita - I'm in Venice, south of Sarasota and north of Naples by about 90 miles. We experienced very high winds and torrential rains that started Sunday night lasting throughout Monday morning. Happy to say that Venice suffered no major damage! About 12-15000 homes in Sarasota County lost power and there were some trees and tree limbs down, but we got lucky!

Apparently Naples and Marco Island had major flooding and some significant damage. Key West reported that 35 to 50% of homes were flooded....

I have a friend in Coral Gables who said it was very bad over there. She lost power Monday at 6:30am and its still off. She indicated that everyone in her vicinity was without power last night.........

Hopefully, Wilma was the last hurricane for this year..............

Claudia

Claudia, happy to hear that you suffered no major damage. I wonder about Host Dan, Mcboo and other CCer's.......hopefully they will post sometime today or tomorrow.

Let's all pray that we have NO MORE "cat 4 or 5" hurricanes this year. "They" say that the warm waters of the Gulf is the reason for all of the

devastating storms this year.

My heart just breaks for Cancun and Cozumel......as the Mexican resort Islands have such a more difficult time in clean-up and restoration. And those Islands depend on cruise ships and tourism for their livelihood.

I noticed this a.m., on my "Where Is Your Ship" web site that a whoppin' 16 cruise ships have been RE-routed because of Wilma!

Again, happy to hear that all is well down your way!:o

Martita B.

Alls well here in St Pete! The winds were high and alot of rain, but no major damage at all. I was awake from 2AM Monday morning watching the news. I couldn't sleep because the wind noise was so loud. I have hurricane shutters, so that gives a bit more sense of security. We have been so lucky here in the Tampa Bay area! :)

Host Dan

Wilma caught a lot of people off guard, because she chose not to lose any punch after landfall. In fact, in my experience the back half of the storm was stronger than the front.

It was a legitimate Category Three all the way across the peninsula, and that is plenty for me!

Vegetation is totaled all over the region. Personally my home and family are OK, some roof tiles gone and a tree caught the corner of a garage (broken tiles) , but deigned to fall neatly between the AC and the circuit box, not injuring either. Main problem now is no power, (and frustrated drivers who don't or won't understand four-way stops.)

Blue Lagoon is up and running.

Seabourn Pride missed the storm, and ports of Amelia Island and Canaveral say they're OK. Nassau took some hits, hope they're OK for the end of the cruise.

begood.......so happy you posted to let us know you and yours are O.K! Am so sorry about your tree damage. What a terrible and destructive that woman "Wilma" WAS.......glad she's gone, never to return!

I received an e-mail from the Pride ship early this morning......they are happy and safe visiting Savannah, Georgia......uh oh....."Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"..........(a favorite of mine)

Stay safe and thank you again for posting!

Blue skies!

Martita

Hello all,

Power, phone and cable are finally back on. Lots of tree damage and I don't want to talk about my rose garden. (a 1/2 acre concrete slab sounds like a good garden right now).

Lost a large portion of fence too; but that can all be repaired.

Have to agree with bgood that the backside of Wilma was the worst.

Ollie and I and our 3 dogs are fine.

mcboo:)

Matt,

It is so good to hear from you! Ken and I have been wondering if you had power, and how badly it hit you in your area. Any major damage, or is your home okay? It seems this was an unusally bad season, so I assume you are still happy you made the move. (At least there's no snow!)

Denyse

P.S. I think there's still room on the Dec 4th Panama Canal cruise....:)

Denyse - no major damage, some roof tiles blew off and naturally trees down. Many people were not as lucky. If the back end of the storm would have come from the opposite direction, I would have been blown off the map. Like bgood stated, the annoying things are having no power, no traffic lights and three mile lines for gas.

Right about now a blizzard seems fun and cozy compared to this.

The saving grace is that the weather has been awesome since Wilma left!

Archived