Childrens club on P&O

SharonandDennis

Hi Everyone,

I need your help!

We are taking our Granddaughter on her first cruise soon:D She has Tourettes Syndrome and severe anxiety and is struggling with the concept of cruising. Her main worry is what the kids club offers and the sort of things that may be on offer. We too are wondering what , if anything, would be suitable for her.

Does anyone have any old copies of The Reef entertainment programme that they would be willing to part with? Happy to pay postage. I have contacted P&O but so far have not had much success.......

Thank you in advance

You don't mention her age, but the club is very good at gearing its activities to the age ranges.

On the first evening they usually have an ice breaker/get to know you session. Activities over the cruise include arts/crafts, quizzes, board games, talent shows (no obligation to take part), sports activities, watching films, treasure hunts, Playstation/Xbox sessions, etc.

The team work very hard at ensuring no-one is left out and finding activities that everyone enjoys. The oldest teen group (13-17) tends to use the club as a place to meet up and then do their own thing, but sometimes they just hang out there and chill.

My daughter was very apprehensive of going to the club the first time (she was well into her teens), but she loved it and made friends she is still in touch with via social media. Our son is most miffed that the next time we cruise he is likely to be too old for the club! Will see if I can find a copy of Reef info, but not sure we have kept one...

The age divisions are; 2-4 yrs "Splashers", 5-8 yrs "Surfers" and 9-12 yrs "Scubas". 13-17 are H2O. With the exception of H2O all children need signing both in and out by an adult registered for the purpose at the initial registration. There is no children self-signing allowed these days. All children are required to wear a wrist band all the time indicating their muster station.

At the initial registration where you decide who can sign for entry exit, and this can be a number of adults from your party who need to present with cruise cards every collection time. You should fill in a form which goes through all possible issues that may arise, allergies to face paint etc. permission for staff to apply sunscreen etc. and health issues which may need special consideration. This is an opportunity to discuss any possible things staff will need to do if a health problem occurs.

The activities are age related within the aforementioned age bands. please note that on some cruises they move the age divisions to equalise the numbers in each group to suit the good running of the club but the activities remain age related. I should recommend registering early and making sure staff know the situation. Important that children attend first night as this is when they buddy up they start attending on the second night it may well be found that everybody is already in groups.

I have taken my daughter to the club from 2 - 14 years of age and found the best thing to do is agree to "look in" after half an hour and see how it's going. She normally tells me she is fine and I leave and she says come back at the end or in an hour. Staff also have pagers to issue to people so you can be summoned if they are upset mainly for night nursery children waking up but they can be requested.

The programme is published for the club and you can discuss daily with children whether the programme is a must do or worth skipping. The special newsletter only goes to cabins containing children.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi

We have just been on britannia and our daughter who is 3 and has special needs had no problems using the kids club. Like you I was worried she wouldn't be able to take part.

We went straight to the first registration session and spoke to the staff who were great, we filled in a care plan that explained her needs and any additional help she would need.

I was given a pager every time I dropped her off and I could ring or go and check on her anytime.

The programme for little ones was full of crafting face painting, playing outside, treasure hunts etc.

I'm sure your granddaughter will be fine.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.