Greencard or Passport

KDance

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light here... I have always traveled on my passport in my old name for cruises and never had an issue.

I recently traveled on RCI on my passport name and was told I should have gone under my GreenCard which holds a different name... they eventually let me on the ship but I was a little confused as to why they kicked up a fuss, none of the staff were able to tell me why either.

I am now traveling with Celebrity soon and wondered if anyone could shed some light as to what I should travel under in terms of identification.

I have a UK passport.

Expired Greencard with 1 Year Extension letter

When arriving back from last cruise the CBP officer put an ARC stamp in my passport with no date.

Any advice or any other stories you've heard I'd love to read them to try and make sense :)

Edit: It's a Caribbean Cruise out and back into Miami.

This is what's on the US CBP web page:

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

Ordinarily, I think everyone around here would tell you to travel on your passport name. This example appears to apply to a circumstance where the Green Card has the old name, not where the Green Card is correct but the passport is out of date. But I honestly don't know in your circumstance.

Can you get a new UK passport from a US-based consulate and make them match? That seems like the obvious solution.

There's actually a very good discussion of identification/proof of citizenship requirements for closed loop cruises here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

What were your ports of call on the previous cruise? That may have influenced the ID requirements. Otherwise, it may have been an RCI thing that may or may not apply to Celebrity...

The previous cruise went to Cozumel, Costa Maya.

I've now tried getting the correct information from Celebrity, cbp and the port of Miami and none of them gave me a direct answer.

If anyone else has ran into this please do share your story and advice :D!