Whittier Port (Princess Cruises) to Anchorage options?

samcraig

Fiancee and I are taking a cruise which ends up in Whittier on Sept 6th. Looking for all options/prices (if possible) to get from the port to Anchorage Airport.

I assume there are at least different shuttle companies/busses and maybe a train - so any experienced CC'ers that could offer their take on best ways would be great!

thanks!

Fiancee and I are taking a cruise which ends up in Whittier on Sept 6th. Looking for all options/prices (if possible) to get from the port to Anchorage Airport.

I assume there are at least different shuttle companies/busses and maybe a train - so any experienced CC'ers that could offer their take on best ways would be great!

thanks!

Hi - We will also be going from Whittier to Anchorage Airport ourselves, but a few days earlier, on Wed, Aug 26. We have arranged to get there via Magic Bus for $40 each. They leave Whittier each day at 5:30 pm and will take us directly to the airport (we are taking a Prince William Sound tour from 11:00-5:00 that day prior to leaving Whittier). I also checked with Alaska Leopard, which would only be $19 each at 5:45 pm, but they don't go to the airport on that last trip of the day. We would have then had to arrange a taxi from their dropoff point (one of the hotels; can't remember which one) to the airport. Our flight leaves at 8:45 pm, so that was just cutting it too close. Before that, the train was our first preference, but it gets into Anchorage too late for us (9:15 pm). We then considered possibly renting a car in Whittier and dropping it off at the Anchorage Airport. One-way car rental in Whittier is exhorbitant - $99 minimum rental, PLUS $159 one-way dropoff fee!!! As you can imagine, we very quickly decided we didn't need to rent a car after all. Your cruise company will probably offer transfers from Whittier to Anchorage, but that option didn't fit in with our plans to cruise Prince William Sound prior to leaving Whittier. Anyway, hope this info helps. Good luck in arranging your transportation, and have fun on your cruise!

I also checked with Alaska Leopard, which would only be $19 each at 5:45 pm, but they don't go to the airport on that last trip of the day. Anyway, hope this info helps. Good luck in arranging your transportation, and have fun on your cruise!

Thanks - just looked into Alaska Leopard. They have a tour which leaves at 9:45 and gets to the airport at 12:45 (with a snack and some light sightseeing along the way) for $39. Our flight is at 5pm - so we'd need to take this option. But given the "competition" $39 seems reasonable...

Anyone else find something better?

• 3 weeks later...

Your main choices are train or bus ... could probably rent a car but probably not worth it. Then, decide if you want just straight transport or a little tour and where in Anchorage you need to end (downtown or airport.)

-Alaska Railroad to Anchorage (seems to take longer than bus options for some reason.) See their website for costs -- supposed to be scenic

-Princess had it's own transfer (other cruise lines probably do too) -- I think they had both an Alaska RR and a bus option

-We took Alaska Leopard ... worked for us... smaller bus, humor that the kids liked --price was right for me and included a stop at the wildlife conservation center that I wanted to do. --- they had a special price running .... Other bus options: Purple Bus, Magic Bus, Girdwood, ... search the Alaska boards on "transfers"

Thanks - just looked into Alaska Leopard. They have a tour which leaves at 9:45 and gets to the airport at 12:45 (with a snack and some light sightseeing along the way) for $39. Our flight is at 5pm - so we'd need to take this option. But given the "competition" $39 seems reasonable...

Anyone else find something better?

I can vouch for Alaskan Leopard. We took them the opposite direction (Anchorage to Whittier) for $39 (plus tax and tip). If your tour includes the Wildlife Conservation center and a stop at Portage glacier - it will be fun. (hint - at the WCC do not use the outhouses - use the modern bathrooms in back of the gift center)

The "humor" on the shuttle is corny and lighthearted (via video clips) but it gives great insight on the history and important facts for each site along the way. My husband and I researched them here and on TripAdvisor and would do it again in a minute.

• 3 months later...

This is very helpful information. Thanks for posting. I've been trying to figure out how to get us from Whittier to Anchorage for less than the cruise transfer is ($54) I did look into Whittier Shuttle. Don't know if anyone has had good luck with them but I didn't. I reserved a 3 hour tour with stops and breakfast for us for $30 each and then they raised the prices to $45 each and would not honor our $30 reservation. I think I'll look into one of the ones listed above. Thanks for the info again!

Archived