Bayonne cab calling: public phones and meeting point at 34th street station?

humaniste

I would like to ask about

• the availability of public phones at

• Newark Penn station

• Exchange Place (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail)

• 34th Street station in Bayonne (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail)

• a “meeting point” at 34th Street light train station that I can mention when calling a Bayonne cab in advance.

We are arriving by Greyhound bus at Newark Penn station at 8:30 am for the same-day Explorer of the Seas departure on Feb 14.

Most probably, we will take a cab directly from bus terminal to the cruise terminal. Still, I would like to have a back-up plan in case the cab driver asks for a high price :) The backup plan is to take PATH train from Newark Penn station, transfer to Light train at Exchange Place and get off at 34th street. From there, take a Bayonne cab.

Given that our cell phone doesn’t work in US, the question is where to find a public phone to call the cab at 34th street. Does anybody know which of the abovementioned stations (Penn, Exchange Place or 34th street) has public payphones?

Also, does 34th Street station have one exit or multiple ones? If we call the cab in advance, before arriving at 34th street, it is good to know where the cab will wait, if the dispatcher doesn’t refer to exact pick-up location.

Background info : we are 2 guys with one luggage each, and have plenty of time between arrival between arrival at Penn station and cruise boarding. So (lack of) convenience in the proposed back-up plan is not a big issue.

Thanks a lot in advance for any info about phone availability and meeting point suggestion ;)

I wish I could answer your question - you certainly have my sympathies. Been there, done that in Paris. Felt like a beggar trying to get access to a phone to call to someone to let me into the apartment I rented. Absolutely no public phones I could find in Paris that would take money. One thing I do know is that the 34th St. station is small - just a platform with a street exit. There is a small shopping plaza across the street where you could probably get access to a phone and wait inside if the weather is bad. The cab fare from Newark Station should be $45-50. Do you have the Bayonne Cab numbers from the Cape Liberty web site?

Have you joined the M&M for Feb. 14? I will be on the same cruise and would enjoy meeting you. I travel with my 91 year old mom, who I will frequently be seen pushing in her royal blue transport chair.

Here's what Keeria (Dolores) posted about her experience. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21676055&highlight=keeria#post21676055

Dear GTJ, 138east and njhorseman,

Thanks to your good advice on how to reach Cape Liberty by public transport, we dared to do it. We used the subway to 34 Street/Herald Square, took the PATH train to Hoboken and then the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Bayonne. Luggage was no problem as the trains were on the same level as the rail and there was more space than in any tram or train in Zurich. In Bayonne, taxis were coming in and out of the harbour incessantly and one of them stopped and took us to the CONSTELLATION for US$ 8.00 (plus tip). All in all, it took about 1 hour, and we even had time to admire the beautiful stained windows in the waiting room in Hoboken. Of course, I had to ask people for information and how to get train tickets but everybody was very friendly and helpful, I am very impressed. This is also one reason why we like so much to cruise on ships where the majority of passengers are from the US and Canada.

BTW it is also very easy to take the subway from JFK Airport into Manhattan.

Thank you again and regards

Dolores

Your back-up plan route is just fine.

You should have no problem finding a telephone to use at either Newark Penn Station or Exchange. The former is a very large and well-traveled station that has all facilities; the latter is located in the heart of New Jersey's financial district where there are several office buildings and hotels surrounding the station. I simply cannot recall the existence or absence of telephones at 34th Street, but given the amount of infrastructure that was built there I cannot imagine there not being a telephone. (At worst the police officer at the guard house to the port area, just across the highway from the station, would likely be able to call for transportation into the port since part of the officer's responsibilities is to ensure that all people entering the port area do so in an automobile and not on foot.)

There are two exits from the station. One, to the west, leads to a pedestrian entrance and exit to the surrounding residential neighborhood off of Avenue E. The other, to the east, is a park-and-ride lot with an entrance off of the main highway, N.J. route 440. It would likely be easiest to meet near the S89 bus stop in the park-and-ride lot. Since you will be using a Bayonne taxi, and the City of Bayonne is quite compact, almost certainly the dispatcher and driver will each know the station lay-out quite well.

Thank you very much, 138east and GTJ, for quick reply and such detailed and useful info! Thanks to you I am no longer worried about getting from bus terminal to the cruise terminal.

@138east: yes, I have the three cab companies numbers from the link on the Cape Liberty web page, thanks! Just visited Meet & Mingle page for our cruise, wow, there is already 57 pages – and counting!

The good thing about booking in advance is that one can enjoy the travel during many month even before it happens :)

humaniste - if you get into Penn Station at 8:30 am and take a cab, you will be at Cape Liberty by 9 - 9:30 am - the height of the disembarkation from the previous cruise - and will have to wait until at least 12 noon to get on the ship. I might be tempted to kill some time by going on a Path/Light Rail adventure - sure to be uncrowded on a Sunday morning.

Where are you guys from? Will you have been in NYC? The Path from Newark station takes you right to Ground Zero in NY - for an extra $1.75 you could stop off there in the morning and look around and then hop back on the train to Exchange Place and the Light Rail. Another option might be to go into the hotel at Exchange Place (we can get the name) and have a cup of coffee to kill some time. There is a river walk there where you can get great views of Manhattan.

It makes lot of sense, 138east, what you are saying. Indeed, it doesn’t worth paying 25-30$ more to be on the cruise terminal at the peak of disembarkation of the previous cruise and 3 hours before boarding! So we will probably do “Path/Light Rail adventure”, as you said ;)

We are from Montréal, and last time we were in NYC in November 2001. Visited Ground Zero, even at that time it was not yet equipped with viewing platform. Before this cruise we will not do a Manhattan visit, partly because of luggage, partly because of “lack of peace of mind” when the primary goal is to go on the board. But I like your suggestion of a coffee break (or even a breakfast break) at Exchange Place station. You mention a hotel there, and I guess there should be also a fast food-like places (even if, as GTJ mentioned, it is in the NJ financial district, probably quite abandoned on Sunday)...

After the cruise we actually may have a few hours layover in Manhattan. Our going back home bus travel is Newark Pen -> New York bus terminal -> Montréal, so if we miss 10:55 am departure from Newark, the next departure may imply few hour waiting time in Manhattan for the transfer to the Montréal bus. In such eventuality a short visit of the New York heart is of course in cards :)

Anyway, NYC obviously worth multiple dedicated visits, so we will plan a few days trip there soon!

The Hyatt hotel is at Exchange Place - super expensive restaurant called the Vu with I'm sure a view of NY - I'm sure you could take a peek even if you didn't eat there. I think there is some sort of harborside walkway there. Grove St. station would have more of the fast food types of restaurants. Hopefully, someone who really knows the area will post about it.

Let's see who responds on this thread. Perhaps someone who is currently familiar with Newark Station can comment on whether you want to hang out there at all. Personally, I'd get off at Grove St., go to McDonalds, and walk to Exchange Place - it's only about 6 blocks away from Grove St.

I would like to ask about

• the availability of public phones at

• Newark Penn station

• Exchange Place (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail)

• 34th Street station in Bayonne (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail)

• a “meeting point” at 34th Street light train station that I can mention when calling a Bayonne cab in advance.

We are arriving by Greyhound bus at Newark Penn station at 8:30 am for the same-day Explorer of the Seas departure on Feb 14.

Most probably, we will take a cab directly from bus terminal to the cruise terminal. Still, I would like to have a back-up plan in case the cab driver asks for a high price :) The backup plan is to take PATH train from Newark Penn station, transfer to Light train at Exchange Place and get off at 34th street. From there, take a Bayonne cab.

Given that our cell phone doesn’t work in US, the question is where to find a public phone to call the cab at 34th street. Does anybody know which of the abovementioned stations (Penn, Exchange Place or 34th street) has public payphones?

Also, does 34th Street station have one exit or multiple ones? If we call the cab in advance, before arriving at 34th street, it is good to know where the cab will wait, if the dispatcher doesn’t refer to exact pick-up location.

Background info : we are 2 guys with one luggage each, and have plenty of time between arrival between arrival at Penn station and cruise boarding. So (lack of) convenience in the proposed back-up plan is not a big issue.

Thanks a lot in advance for any info about phone availability and meeting point suggestion ;)

Most of your questions have already been answered, but I'll just add a few points based on my own experience.

If maneuvering your luggage isn't a problem, you'll find it fairly easy to get to Bayonne from Newark Penn Station via the PATH train and Light Rail. Trains on both services run continuously. On a Sunday morning, you'll easily get a seat on both trains.

Here's a short video showing one of the brand new PATH trains at Newark Penn Station:

It's a short walk (just one block or so) from the Exchange Place PATH station to the Light Rail train. Take a look at the very beginning of this video, shot from a Light Rail train:

Bayonne 34th Street Light Rail station: A couple of years ago I used a public phone at the Bayonne 34th Street Light Rail station to call for a cab to the Cape Liberty terminal. The cab arrived in just five minutes or so. However, I'm not sure if the phone is still there. (There was just one phone at the location from where I rang for the cab, but there may well be others nearby.)

Here's a brief video showing the Bayonne 34th Street Light Rail Station:

As you'll see, the "station" is really just a platform. In the video, you'll also notice a covered walkway at one end of the platform; it leads to a large parking lot, which is directly opposite the entrance to the Cape Liberty cruise facility. I would suggest that you take that walkway (there are elevators so that you don't have to lug your luggage up and down the stairs at each end) and use the public telephone that is (or was, when I was last there) just outside after you walk out the other side of the walkway. Tell the taxi dispatcher where you are, and a cab should be there in no time at all. From there, it is just a few minutes' ride to the cruise terminal.

Enjoy your cruise, and your travels getting to the ship!

Just one more video, shot from the inside of a Light Rail train going from Exchange Place to 34th Street, Bayonne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnirvbjuz8&feature=related

The pedestrian overpass and parking lot at the 34th street station are clearly visible near the end of the video.

(Gosh. Who knew you could do this journey "virtually"? Almost as much fun as doing it in person!)

Thanks, Post Captain, for the info and for the video links. It is crazy indeed, the virtual travel, soon it will be possible to run complete virtual cruises in 3D HD :)

On the last video we can see the Hyatt hotel and the harbour view that 138east mentioned! Looks beautiful, if the weather is not bad we will stop there!

Sounds good, I understand chances are the public phone is still on the station. My current plan, given the info all of you kindly provided is the following: call the cab company from Exchange Place, before boarding the Light Train, and ask for a taxi at the parking lot (near bus stop) at 34th in 45 minutes. The travel time from Exchange to 34th is of course less, but just in case.

If the dispatcher refuses to take such “advance” order, or if the cab doesn’t come, then we will look for that phone, or check at the nearby shopping plaza, or as last resort ask the police officer at guard house.

With all of these fallback plans, there should be no any problem to get to the cruise terminal easily and inexpensively :)

A few additional comments regarding your journey.

The overland journey from Montreal is more comfortable and usually less expensive using Amtrak than it is using Greyhound Lines or Trailways. Unfortunately, the times you will be arriving and departing don't allow for a same-day connection between Amtrak and your cruise ship in either direction. But should you elect to change your travel plans so as to include a day in New York then do consider the train in at least one direction.

I assume that you're planning to get the 11:45 p.m. bus out of Montreal on the night before. I would consider boarding the 10:30 p.m. instead for two reasons. First, the 11:45 p.m. bus is the last departure of the night, and should there be too many people for Greyhound Lines to board then you'll be stuck until 7:15 a.m. the next day and miss the departure of your vessel from Bayonne. Second, the 10:30 p.m. bus is operated by Adirondack Trailways rather than Greyhound Lines. Tickets are interchangable between the two companies, but I think Adirondack Trailways is better because (1) they use better buses, Prevost H3-45 coaches instead of the (admittedly newer) Prevost X3-45 that Greyhound Lines uses, and (2) better drivers. The 10:30 p.m. bus arrives in New York at 6:15 a.m. There's also an 11:00 p.m. bus that also arrives at 6:15 a.m., but it is a Greyhound Lines bus (the staff might try to encourage you to travel on the 11:00 p.m. bus since it bypasses the stop in Plattsburgh, but I'd still rather go Trailways). In any case, aiming for the 10:30 p.m. bus will give you greater security in arriving in New York on time for the departure of your vessel.

It looks like you're looking at making a connection at New York for a Greyhound Lines bus to Newark. You might want to consider another option that will save you some time and money. Buy your ticket only as far as New York (it will likely cost less than the ticket to Newark). Then at New York instead of getting Greyhound Lines bus to Newark get a Coach USA bus directly to Bayonne. See http://www.coachusa.com. This bus leaves from the same bus terminal in New York that Greyhound Lines uses (i.e., Port Authority Bus Terminal), but you'll have to follow the signs to Gate 414 for Coach USA. These route 99S buses (they may also marked as route 10 . . . it's a combined route service) depart once an hour on Sundays (usually at 20 minutes past the hour), and the journey to Bayonne takes about an hour. The fare is $4.00. The closest stop in Bayonne to Cape Liberty Cruise Port is on John F. Kennedy Blvd. at 32nd Street. There's no "station" there, and since it's a residential neighborhood you want to have already called in for a taxi before departing New York.

Another possibility from New York is to get a bus to Hoboken, then a (more expensive) taxi ride from Hoboken to Cape Liberty Cruise Port. These buses operate more frequently than the buses to Bayonne. Here you would want New Jersey Transit route 126. See http://www.njtransit.com. These buses depart from Gate 204. On Sundays buses leave every 20 minutes (at 00, 20, and 40 minutes past each hour); the fare is $2.55. The journey to the last stop, Hoboken Terminal, takes 25 minutes. There are taxis waiting at Hoboken Terminal.

Since your overnight bus will have arrived in New York much earlier than the time you need to depart for Bayonne, you would want to first go the Greyhound Lines package express counter and check your bags there for a while so that you can use the free time in New York rather than Bayonne. You'll need to show your Greyhound Lines (or Adirondack Trailways) ticket at the package express counter in order to check your bags; there is a nominal fee for baggage checking.

On the way back after your cruise, you could have a taxi bring you to John. F. Kennedy Boulevard for the return trip back to New York. The buses on Friday leave from John F. Kennedy Blvd. at 32nd Street hourly, usually at 8 minutes past the hour. I believe there is a flat fare from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to any point in Bayonne, so if time is not tight you could also have the taxi driver take you to the very first stop of the bus route where it may be more convenient to board (this would especially be the case early on Friday morning when you might hit the tail of rush hour . . . much easier with some luggage to board at the first stop and an empty bus). The first stop is on John F. Kennedy Blvd. at 3rd Street, and the buses depart here on the hour.

It might be possible to be able to get the bus from Bayonne at 9:08 a.m. from 32nd Street (or 9:00 a.m. from 3rd Street), and if you were able to do so you would arrive in New York at 10:10 a.m. This would give you time to board the Adirondack Trailways bus that departs New York at 11:15 a.m. and arrives in Montreal at 8:05 p.m. (and again, staff might encourage you to board the 11:30 a.m. express bus that arrives in Montreal at 7:25 p.m., though this bus would be operated by Greyhound Lines). If, as is more likely, you're not able to get that early bus from Bayonne into New York, then you'll have to wait until 1:30 p.m. for the Greyhound Lines bus that arrives in Montreal at 9:20 p.m.

From Hoboken Terminal, buses to New York depart every 6 minutes until 10:00 a.m., then every 15 to 20 minutes. To get to New York at 10:52 a.m. (pretty much the "drop dead" time for attempting the 11:15 a.m. Adirondack Trailways bus) you'll need to board the route 126 bus at Hoboken Terminal at 10:30 a.m. You could still make the 11:30 a.m. Greyhound Lines bus by boarding the route 126 bus in Hoboken at 10:50 a.m. (scheduled to arrive in New York at 11:12 a.m. Note, however, that traffic could always delay these scheduled arrivals.

Hopefully all this detail is not overwhelming!

GTJ - silly me. It never occurred to me that they might first arrive at PA in NY and take Greyhound to Newark. If that's the case, then all your suggestions make a lot more sense than taking Greyhound all the way to Newark to come back by Path to Exchange Place and then by light rail to Bayonne.

The only thing you did not discuss was the Path/light rail option from NYC. IMO on Sunday the bus to Bayonne does not run frequently enough. Bus to Hoboken would be fine - no need for a cab to Bayonne - the light rail is right there. Humaniste - please read Keeria's post about her experience from midtown Manhattan to Bayonne. From Port Authority you have two options - the E train from Port Authority to World Trade (or the A or C train to Chambers with some walking), Path to Exchange Place, and light rail to Bayonne ($2.50 + 1.75 + 1.90) or Path from 33rd & 6th to Hoboken and light rail to Bayonne ($3.65). Subway to 33rd St. is optional. If you can roll your luggage, you can walk to Times Square and then down Broadway to Herald Square.

Humaniste - one more thing. Please put together a plan B in case of snow. This weekend was a disaster for folks trying to get to the Explorer. The folks who did best were the ones who made a decision, left early, and paid for a hotel room. They were already here when the snow hit and only had to get from their hotel to the dock. We can find you hotels in NJ that are under $100.

The only thing you did not discuss was the Path/light rail option from NYC. IMO on Sunday the bus to Bayonne does not run frequently enough. Bus to Hoboken would be fine - no need for a cab to Bayonne - the light rail is right there. Humaniste - please read Keeria's post about her experience from midtown Manhattan to Bayonne.

I had thought about PATH from Manhattan, but it would require a bit more travel with baggage. A small distance if arriving at Penn Station to get to PATH's 33rd Street terminal, but a bit longer and less convenient from Port Authority Bus Terminal. Not excessively so, but the ease of getting a bus out of Port Authority probably dominates the PATH option.

Coach USA is relatively convenient because it departs from the same bus terminal where Greyhound Lines and Adirondack Trailways both arrive. As you note, the bus does not operate that frequently on Sunday morning: once hourly. But Coach USA cut back the service so much that in fact the bus now operates hourly on all days of the week!

One note about connecting in Hoboken between the route 126 bus from New York and the light rail train to Bayonne. The signs may not be clear or numerous, largely as a result of there being so much transportation being concentrated in a small area. The Hoboken bus terminal is on the north side of the site. From the bus terminal you'll need to walk into the railroad station concourse. Walk through the concourse--perpendicular to the tracks and platforms--to the far side of the concourse. Just before the ferry terminal turn right, continue walking a short distance, and then you'll arrive at the light rail platform.

As suggested, it is helpful to have a Plan B for snow, etc. Leaving Montreal on other than the last bus of the night should probably be Plan A, and leaving during the day or the night before is probably a good Plan B. The advantage of going by bus instead of flying is that it is, generally, much easier to switch to an earlier (or, for that matter, latter) bus with minimal inconvenience, even at the last moment.

Good evening, GTJ and 138east,

Let me analyze and comment the treasure of detailed information you provided.

We have considered the train to NYC, but as GTJ mentioned, its schedule doesn’t fit the same-day cruise travel. And while it is more comfortable than bus, it is about 60% more expensive that the cheap bus rate we are getting (see below). Of course, it is still an option in case of some unforeseen changes in travel plan, but for now, it is not under consideration.

The reasons why I evoked the bus ticket from Montreal to Newark, rather than to NYC: the better proximity of Newark to Bayonne, and very surprisingly, better price!

The lowest available RT fare for Montreal<->Newark (with transfer in NYC) is about 90$CAD = 85$USD per person, including all taxes and fees. The fare is subject to 21-day advance purchase, and is available both online (greyhound.ca) and in Mtl bus terminal in person, I verified the both.

Now the weird thing: when checking online the price Montreal<->NYC, all sites (greyhound.ca, greyhound.com, trailwaysny.com) quote prices starting at 124$USD + taxes and fees! I didn’t check the “in person” price at Mtl terminal though. This aberration is likely result of either computer system shortcoming or a strange marketing/pricing policy.

Anyway, as result, we will have cheap tickets to NYC with free optional continuation to Newark. This simply increases our possibilities.

Montreal To Cape Liberty

GTJ, you are 110% right about departure at 10:30pm, rather that taking the last bus at 11:45pm. I was even not aware of that 10:30pm departure, given that greyhound.ca website doesn’t mention it. But as you said, Adirondack Trailways accepts Greyhound tickets, so no doubt we will take that 10:30pm bus. It gives a safety net, as opposed to betting on the last bus. Thank you so much for making that point!

Another point that is very interesting – GTJ, you mention that it is possible to check the bags at Greyhound package express? This is very cool. How it works? I though that it was only possible to check your luggage in advance before your departure on their bus, but what you suggest means that you can simply leave the luggage with them for few hours, provided that you have a ticket from the past trip or the trip to come.

I didn’t find such info on greyhound website. Do you know what is the nominal fee?

If it is possible to leave the bags with Greyhound, then the option of taking CoachUSA from Port Authority Bus Terminal is very appealing. Arriving to PABT at 6:15am, leaving bags, having about 4 free hours to walk in Manhattan, to have breakfast etc… Then around 10am call Bayonne cab, for let’s say 11:30 pickup at Kennedy Blvd. / 32nd Street, and then board at 10:20 on CoachUSA. The fact that CoachUSA doesn’t have frequent departure is not a big deal, given that we will have enough free time and can adapt our timings accordingly.

We will keep the alternative routes, through Newark or Hoboken, with Path and Light Rail, in mind, just in case something goes unexpected. But if the luggage keeping service is indeed available and doesn’t cost 15$ apiece, “PABT-free time in Manhattan-CoachUSA-Bayonne cab” combination sounds like a winner :)

Cape Liberty To Montreal

For the route back, after disembarkation, cab to Kennedy Blvd. / 3rd Street and then CoachUSA to PABT is perfect ! Our primary goal is to get on 1:30 bus from NY to Montreal, and with your suggestion it seems very feasible: if we catch 11:00am departure from Kennedy Blvd. / 3rd Street, then even a heavy traffic between Bayonne and NYC will not prevent being back home at the end of the same evening :)

“Snow Storm” plan

You are right, 138east, we should consider a situation where it is more prudent to come to NY/NJ a day earlier. I will monitor the weather warnings a couple of days before D-day, and if it looks like a storm, similar to the recent one, comes again to New England, then will look for the contingency plan, as you suggest.

I would like again say Merci Beaucoup to you both, it is really amazing how you are nice and helpful!

The reasons why I evoked the bus ticket from Montreal to Newark, rather than to NYC: the better proximity of Newark to Bayonne, and very surprisingly, better price!

The lowest available RT fare for Montreal<->Newark (with transfer in NYC) is about 90$CAD = 85$USD per person, including all taxes and fees. The fare is subject to 21-day advance purchase, and is available both online (greyhound.ca) and in Mtl bus terminal in person, I verified the both.

Now the weird thing: when checking online the price Montreal<->NYC, all sites (greyhound.ca, greyhound.com, trailwaysny.com) quote prices starting at 124$USD + taxes and fees! I didn’t check the “in person” price at Mtl terminal though. This aberration is likely result of either computer system shortcoming or a strange marketing/pricing policy.

Anyway, as result, we will have cheap tickets to NYC with free optional continuation to Newark. This simply increases our possibilities.

Quite surprising indeed! I did a quick check before writing the last message and did not see that low fare. But if it is indeed the case go for it! Unlike air travel, you can fail to use a bus segment without fear that the rest of the reservation will be cancelled! I see it just as you do: if you have the time and/or desire to see Newark take advantage of a "free" trip on Greyhound Lines from New York to Newark.

GTJ, you are 110% right about departure at 10:30pm, rather that taking the last bus at 11:45pm. I was even not aware of that 10:30pm departure, given that greyhound.ca website doesn’t mention it. But as you said, Adirondack Trailways accepts Greyhound tickets, so no doubt we will take that 10:30pm bus. It gives a safety net, as opposed to betting on the last bus. Thank you so much for making that point!

I brought that point up from experience in having been to Station Centrale and at times seeing long queues leading to Gates 1 and 2. In October I cruised out of Quebec City, and while Orléans Express is one of the finest bus companies in North America we nonetheless selected a departure in advance of the last possible time just in case the last possible bus was full (and while Orléans Express was operating the schedules with two coaches, one non-stop to the Gare du Palais and the other a local via Longueuil and Ste-Foy, had they both been filled Orléans Express would not have run a third coach but would have made us wait an hour to the next departure).

Another point that is very interesting – GTJ, you mention that it is possible to check the bags at Greyhound package express? This is very cool. How it works? I though that it was only possible to check your luggage in advance before your departure on their bus, but what you suggest means that you can simply leave the luggage with them for few hours, provided that you have a ticket from the past trip or the trip to come.

I didn’t find such info on greyhound website. Do you know what is the nominal fee?

First you need to find the location. Your bus will arrive in one of two areas. Your bus will arrive in one of two places: the lower level of the "old" building (Gates 1 through 37) or the lower level of the "new" building (Gates 60 through 85). If you arrive in the old building, go the end of the lower level concourse closest to gate 37, go up the short escalator to the subway level, immediately turn left and walk straight (underground and into the new building), past the Hudson News stand, towards the Greyhound ticketing area. If you arrive in the new building, go up the escalator to the subway level (you'll see the Hudson News stand directly in front at the top of the escalator), and turn left towards the Greyhound ticketing area. In either case, don't go into the Greyhound ticketing area but instead look the left, there you'll the Greyhound package express office where you can check your bags.

I can't recall the exact charge but I think it is something like $5 or $6 for the day. If need be you can call for the exact charges and conditions . . . the direct number to the package express office is (212) 971-6331.

Before leaving the bus terminal head over to the Coach USA ticket window to determine if you should buy a ticket for the bus or just pay cash when boarding (traditionally it has been exact cash fare when boarding, but I'm not certain if that's been changed). From Greyhound package express walk straight out and slightly to the left (but not towards the subway), past the Hudson News, and into the underground passageway leading towards the old building. At the end of this passageway you'll see an information booth on the left, and escalators on the right. Go up the escalator to the main floor, and at the top walk straight ahead. On the left you will pass another Greyhound ticketing office, a Trailways ticketing office, Au Bon Pain, Villa Pizza, and then the main ticketing plaza. Coach USA has ticket windows in this main ticketing plaza.

If it is possible to leave the bags with Greyhound, then the option of taking CoachUSA from Port Authority Bus Terminal is very appealing. Arriving to PABT at 6:15am, leaving bags, having about 4 free hours to walk in Manhattan, to have breakfast etc… Then around 10am call Bayonne cab, for let’s say 11:30 pickup at Kennedy Blvd. / 32nd Street, and then board at 10:20 on CoachUSA. The fact that CoachUSA doesn’t have frequent departure is not a big deal, given that we will have enough free time and can adapt our timings accordingly.

When calling I would advise the taxi company that you will be alighting from the bus at that location. Again, Bayonne is a small city and the taxi company should know exactly where you will be alighting.

We will keep the alternative routes, through Newark or Hoboken, with Path and Light Rail, in mind, just in case something goes unexpected. But if the luggage keeping service is indeed available and doesn’t cost 15$ apiece, “PABT-free time in Manhattan-CoachUSA-Bayonne cab” combination sounds like a winner :)

Since the buses used on route 99S are typically suburban buses with overhead parcel racks rather than luggage bays below the coach. Thus you will likely be best served by arriving at the departure gate early, getting a place near the front of the boarding queue, so that you can readily carry any baggage you have easily to the rear of the bus.

Sounds like a great plan. However, I would like to mention some other things to consider for your return trip. At one point someone else was interested in the bus to Bayonne and I called Coach USA to find out about luggage on their buses. They said they have no under the bus luggage storage as well as no overhead storage. This will be fine for a lightly used outbound trip on a Sunday morning, but might not work well for an inbound "rush hour" trip on a Friday morning. For getting back to NY I would seriously consider taking a Bayonne cab to the first light rail station so that you get your pick of seats - perhaps at the end of the car with the luggage against the connecting door. Transfer to Path at Hoboken, which is also a "first" station, and do the same thing for the ride to 33rd St. Also, have you considered signing up for self-disembarkation? You are the perfect candidates for that. This will give you a head start out of the port before the immigration lines get too long. I think that most non-US citizens are not self-disembarking.

Have you joined the Meet and Mingle? Come join us on the roll call forum for 2/14/10.

Carol

Hello GTJ,

I brought that point up from experience in having been to Station Centrale and at times seeing long queues leading to Gates 1 and 2. In October I cruised out of Quebec City, and while Orléans Express is one of the finest bus companies in North America we nonetheless selected a departure in advance of the last possible time just in case the last possible bus was full (and while Orléans Express was operating the schedules with two coaches, one non-stop to the Gare du Palais and the other a local via Longueuil and Ste-Foy, had they both been filled Orléans Express would not have run a third coach but would have made us wait an hour to the next departure).

Wow, not only you are an expert in NY area transportation, but you even know details about Montréal->Québec bus travel :) This is cool! I share your very positive opinion about Orléans Express: good service and punctuality, comfortable new buses. We use it regularly, 1 or 2 times a year, like in 2 days when going to Québec-city for family Christmas.

But it comes at a price: they are a monopoly on those routes, and have almost no discounts other than student/senior. As result, 3 hours travel within the same province (Montréal-Québec) costs the same than 8 hours international journey (Montréal-Newark).

I can't recall the exact charge but I think it is something like $5 or $6 for the day. If need be you can call for the exact charges and conditions . . . the direct number to the package express office is (212) 971-6331.

Thanks a lot for the phone, I will call them few days before departure, to get the most up-to-date information.

Since the buses used on route 99S are typically suburban buses with overhead parcel racks rather than luggage bays below the coach. Thus you will likely be best served by arriving at the departure gate early, getting a place near the front of the boarding queue, so that you can readily carry any baggage you have easily to the rear of the bus.

Very valid suggestion, thanks again!

Hello 138east,

Good point about using “first station” principle when travelling with bulky luggage, given the return will be almost on rush hour. GTK also recommended that strategy.

I duly noted your suggestions, so basically after leaving the ship, we will go to NY either by light train / PATH combination, or by CoachUSA – but in any case will always start at the 1st station, i.e. on 22nd street for Light Train or 3rd street for CoachUSA.

Speaking about leaving the ship: it is our first cruise, so I didn’t know about self-disembarking. After you mentioned that, I googled it and my understanding is that you can chose to bring by yourself the luggage out of the ship, and in that case they let you to be first to disembark. It is perfect for us, thanks a lot for mentioning that!

Do you know how to “register” for that mode of disambarkation? Is it during the online check-in prior to cruise, or onboard, the day before end of the cruise? Is there some requirements to be eligible such “priority leave”, like having a credit card linked to your onboard account? I am asking that because we would prefer to have a cash account – it seems that for Canadian passenger CC accounts are charged in Canadian dollars at exchange rate even worst that the CC one.

Yes, we just registered to Meet and Mingle on RCCL web site! There is now 72 participants :) Looking forward to meet you!

My understanding is that anyone is eligible to self-disembark, but the numbers are limited. You must register at guest relations on the ship. There will be a notification in the daily Compass, but you should ask at Guest Relations as soon as the initial chaos of the embarkation is over. I really feel this will give you a jump on the immigration line. Last year there were large numbers of Canadians and Europeans on this trip, but many of them were traveling in groups or with RCL transfers, so they were not among the first ones off the ship.

If you travel by bus to NY during the rush hour, your luggage might have to be in the already narrow aisle. When you take the bus to Bayonne, you will see what they look like and be better able to decide if that will work. The light rail and Path will also be crowded, but the trains run frequently and you can be patient until you can get on one and get a seat. The front or rear cars may be less crowded.

Welcome to the "Valentine" cruise!

Merry Christmas to you Humaniste! Come join the roll call - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=768113&page=58. You will find out what the CC group is doing beyond the Meet & Mingle, which will probably be in the afternoon of the first sea day. If you have any questions specific to the 2/14 sailing, folks can probably answer them for you.

Archived