Bayonne cab calling: public phones and meeting point at 34th street station?

humaniste

Here we are, the cruise is over! It was our first cruise and we had wonderful vacation! Very satisfied by the 12 days Caribbean cruise departing from Cape Liberty, and we already booked a new cruise with RC in Mediterranean.

I would like to thanks the posters who helped by answering my questions. Thanks to you our travel to and from Cape Liberty was smooth, easy and inexpensive.

We did as it was suggested in this thread. After arriving at NY Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT), we went to Greyhound luggage check desk (they open at 7:00am) and left our only luggage there, for 8$. It allowed us to spend few hours by walking around in Manhattan.

Then went back to PABT, get back our luggage and walked to 33st Street Path station. It was about 15 minutes easy walk. Took PATH train to Hoboken, where we changed to Light Train, which brought us to 34th street station in Bayonne.

At 34th street station in Bayonne, there is a phone that one can use to call cab, but we didn’t need it – there was a taxi waiting on the parking side of the station. We paid 8$ + tip.

The trip back after the cruise was the same sequence in the opposite order: cab from pier to 34th station, Light Train to Hoboken and PATH from there to 33rd street in Manhattan. From there it is a 15 mins walk to PABT – and we were ready to take the Greyhound bus back to Montréal.

Thanks again to 138 east, GTJ and Post Captain for having provided such good informations and advices!

It was nice to hear that you had a great trip and that everything went well.

I'd be curious to know your perception of the trip to and from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Would you say that taking the PATH train + light rail train was (A) something anyone could easily do, (B) only someone used to handling their own luggage could do this, © not very convenient but possible, or (D) only young adventurers need try this?

Humaniste - sorry I didn't get to meet you on the cruise. Sounds like you had a good public transit experience. The day we arrived back was really nasty - you probably had one of the best experiences of anyone getting into NY on that day in the snow! I'd be interested in your answer to GTJ's question. Typically I recommend folks take a cab to a particular elevator entrance to the 33rd St. Path station - you're very ambitious to roll your luggage from PA to 33rd St. - so I am particularly interested in your perception of the trip starting at 33rd St.

Would you say that taking the PATH train + light rail train was (A) something anyone could easily do, (B) only someone used to handling their own luggage could do this, © not very convenient but possible, or (D) only young adventurers need try this?

I would say (B). The requirement is to be able to roll your luggage on some distance, occasionally handle very minor obstacles, such as small piles of snow or puddles, and carry it over some stairs, if an escalator/elevator is not working or missing.

If the weather is not bad, there is no really obstacles to rolling the luggage. The only potential issue can be stairs without escalator or elevator. We encountered some in PABT, like the few stairs of the exit to the street. Maybe there is an exit without stairs, but we didn’t know. Anyway, for us, two men in our 30’s with only one luggage (in total, not per person, but still big and heavy one) this is not a big deal.

But generally speaking, the stairs are probably the biggest single factor to take into account when packing and planning this trip. If you cannot lift a big suitcase, then it is better to use a set of smaller bags that can bundle together for rolling, and still allow to carry them over stairs one by one.

Having buffer time also helps to avoid or minimize the stress. You can then take your time, knowing that if there is a problem, you have the time to call a cab or find an alternative solution.

Typically I recommend folks take a cab to a particular elevator entrance to the 33rd St. Path station - you're very ambitious to roll your luggage from PA to 33rd St.

When the weather is good – no snow nor rain – and you have an easily rollable luggage, walk on Broadway is really easy. The crossing of the streets are also OK because the sidewalks all have support for wheelchairs or strollers, it goes down to the level of the road at crossing points.

On our way back, there was some snow and water on the ground, so it took a little bit more effort. But again, people can always try, and if they realize that it is too difficult for whatever reason, they can take a cab after having tried to do it by themselves.

I am particularly interested in your perception of the trip starting at 33rd St.

Turnstiles: entering 33rd Street Path station, there was a special large turnstile for wheelchars or strollers, so it was very easy to access the train platform. On the way back, entering path station in Hoboken, we didn’t see such large turnstile, so lifted out suitcase. But I suppose there was another entry equipped with wheelchair turnstile…

Trains: large and spacious enough to comfortably fit with luggage, both the Light Train and Path. The connection in Hoboken is easy, even if you have to walk a little bit. On our way to Cape Liberty, it was about Sunday noon, and the train were far from being full. On the way back, it was Friday morning, between 08:30 and 09:00, I guess the peak hour was already abating, so again, not many people at 34th Street station. But the train became fuller at next stations.

34th station: Between the platform and the parking lot where you take or get off the cab, there is an overpass to take. There are elevators at each end of the overpass. On our way back, one elevator was not working, so we had to bring the suitcase up manually. This case emphasize the need to be ready to carry the luggage over stairs.

Cab between 34th station and the cruise terminal: as I said, there is a public payphone at the station, but we didn’t need it. I have the impression that on the ship departure/arrival days, the cabs are usually available there. Our both cabs didn’t have any taxi markings, they looked like regulars minivans. But the drivers have the radio for communication with dispatchers. Interestingly enough, in both cases they were asking the dispatcher what is the price for the ride. This basically means they are not necessary full time drivers in Bayonne.

The cost of a ride is 8$ for the people travelling together, not per person. You may need to emphasize to the driver that you are travelling with your mates (if it is the case), so pay a total of only 8$ and a good tip :)

The day we arrived back was really nasty - you probably had one of the best experiences of anyone getting into NY on that day in the snow!
Yes! We have chosen to use the public transportation and the bus Mtl<->NY because it was by far the cheapest option, but it played out to be the most convenient. In our bus on the way back to Mtl there were people (not from the cruise) that were supposed to take a plane from Newark to Quebec city on Thursday, but all short-haul flights from NY area to Canada were postponed or cancelled, and their flight was rescheduled to … Sunday (!!) And it took them very long time to come by cab from a hotel in Newark to PABT. While us, who were using the public transport, we were even not aware that there was a problem in the area :)

Humaniste - sorry I didn't get to meet you on the cruise.
Me too I am sorry not to meet you. On M&M party I asked Pattie too late about you, you have already left… We need to go to another same cruise! :D

It's always nice to hear back from others, for many times those of us who deal with these things day in and day out we sometimes become blind to issues facing others.

The only potential issue can be stairs without escalator or elevator. We encountered some in PABT, like the few stairs of the exit to the street. Maybe there is an exit without stairs, but we didn’t know.

I understand that issue well. There are elevators at PABT that will allow one to get around most of the terminal, but the elevators are not well located, and sometimes hard to find. Meanwhile, many of the loading platforms for suburban buses--including route 99S from PABT to Bayonne--are too narrow for elevators. But there are escalators in nearly every instance.

When the weather is good – no snow nor rain – and you have an easily rollable luggage, walk on Broadway is really easy.[\quote]

Though a word of warning to others: in recent years Broadway has become quite choked with tourists, and it be difficult walking on some parts of Broadway because of all the traffic . . . especially with luggage in tow. Fortunately the most congested part of Broadway is north of 42nd Street, so walking from PABT (42nd St & Eighth Av) to Herald Square (33rd St & Sixth Av) is not too bad. Indeed, for anyone in reasonably good health and not overly burdened with luggage I agree it can be a pleasant walk, especially if you want to be part of Manhattan instead of being in a taxi.

Anyhow, now that you've seen a bit of New York and that it need not be overly-intimidating, do come back here for another holiday.

Humaniste - what a fantastic response! I know many other folks will benefit from it. The car service cost rt from NY to Bayonne is about $170. Public transportation for 2 is less than $20. That's a significant difference if you can manage your luggage and, although not for everyone, is definitely worth considering.

Archived