Whatever happened to RCI's Sun Viking?

It holds a special spot in my husband and my hearts--it was our first cruise and it was our honeymoon--8/17/94 - 8/28/94. We also met our very best friends on board that ship. They were our tablemates. They were the same age as us 25 and 29, at the time. And they live only 60 miles away from us!!! What amazing luck!

The Sun Viking was a very small ship, especially by today's megaship standards. We bought a Sun Viking Christmas ornament on close out in the ship's gift shop and we cherish it! The following season, Legend of the Seas was taking over as RCI's Alaska ship and The Sun Viking was being sent to Asia. I know it was sold in 1999. Just wondering whatever became of the cute l'il Sun Viking! :D

She was sold in 1998 to Star Cruises and became SUPERSTAR SAGGITARIUS. A few months later, she was sold to Hyundai (yes, the same people who make the cars) for cruises from South Korea to Mount Kumgang in North Korea as HYUNDAI PONGNAE. (This was part of several joint business projects between the North and South that the South Korean government and Hyundai initiated under the Sunshine Policy during the late 1990s.) In 2001, Hyundai ended the money-losing North Korean cruise venture and the ship was laid-up. In 2003 she was sold to Hong Kong gambling magnate Stanley Ho who, after a major refit, put her into service on overnight gambling cruises from Hong Kong as OMAR III. You can see her official web site (in Chinese) here.

The Sun Viking also holds a special place for us.Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway and the second was on the Sun Viking.This was about 1978-1980 time frame.What beauiful ships.Still think about going up to the Viking Lounge on the outside stairway on a cold,windy,raining night.Really got you attention.

Sometime ago I found a web site on the Sun Viking and I put it in my favorite list but when I tried include in this posting it wouldn't pull up.The site is //members.tripod.com/~parnami/sunviking.html.Try it ,if it doesn't work you can give me you e-mail address and I can forward it to you.That seems to work.Anyway enjoy

George and Sara

Austin,Tx

gdayhoff@austin.rr.com

Archived