Is it difficult to drive in San Diego?

mared1

Will be stayin in San Diego for 5 days after a cruise. Want to rent a car. How difficult is it to get around in San Diego? I understand parking can be a challenge. I am not a novice to big cities, having driven in Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc.

I didnt have any problems. Just be sure to check the map before you head out and you should be fine, especially if you've driven in the cities you've mentioned. I've lived in Tampa and DC and have driven in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle and think for the most part they are all the same. Just make sure you know where you're going and dont be a timid driver or you'll never get to where you're headed. ;)

If you've driven in Miami, Dallas, & Chicago..you will be fine in San Diego. Get a good Frwy map along with a detailed street map and your all set. Traffic will be bad at rush hours but there are alternate routes to the destinations you are probably interested in. Parking is not as bad as most cities...they do a very good job in San Diego. Don't forget the trolley...it is quite convenient.

We've lived in San Diego for 6 years now and my only advice is to watch the names of the streets! Sometimes they change without notice. I'm guessing that it true anywhere, it just messed with us a lot in the begginig.

Just remember, the freeways are odd numbered when they run north and south, even for east and west. This is true throughout our state.

San Diego is fairly easy to get around and a car is preferrable for that length of time, it's spread out.

Archived