Antartic cruise: when to go etc

Donegalboy

Hi all,

I was thinking about doing a two week Antarctica type trip and the end of December... any suggestions ie would this be a good time of year to go there or too expensive etc?

I would like to see the Falkland and South Georgia islands and Antarctica and also do a few landings

I am single male travelling on my own

End of December is a good time. An itinerary that includes the Falkland and South Georgia Islands would be good. This will be an expensive expedition but you might find some good sales. I got email recently about a trip on FRAM for Dec 2010 from an Australian site

http://www.cruisetraveller.com.au/content/itineraries-1

Sometimes if you go too early in December, the ice hasn't retreated enough to get into some of the locations. We went in late January and it was perfect. Penguin colonies at the southernmost location we visited were still nesting, and further north the chicks had hatched, so we got to see the whole variety of the nesting cycle.

I highly recommend a trip that includes South Georgia. The scenery is stunning and the wildlife is bountiful and completely unafraid.

We went late February on the Andrea which is not listed here. Small ship which was able to get into the shallower bays. We did 2 landings most days and never suffered for lack of wildlife. Whales, seals, penguins, and even a swimming session in a volcano caldera. The shipboard experience was super. We spent several days in Buenos Airies and Ushuia.:D

1961248107_F090Peterman(2).jpg.a069bc7ff363d5689544d724e3219a5c.jpg

1389027776_J130WhalesoffDeception(2).jpg.417356517acebd4f040ef71396791b14.jpg

IMGP1340a.jpg.444860542fbf758d51f705cf92fc5dc3.jpg

1763842484_Antarcticbeauty.jpg.2a4738c283d0c17cbaf1c75dcf1f38c3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived