Quebec to Montreal by Train

KRIS&A

Hi Kris,

I've never done this, but researched it in reverse (Montreal to QC) for our cruise this fall. I found some CC friends from Canada who shared the following with me:

The trip is about 3 hours and scenery by car for this route is non-discrept. Wouldn't really bother!

However, if you decide to do it anyway, it looks to be an easy journey. The train station in QC is relatively close to the port. Looking at the map, it doesn't look more than 10 minutes or so. There is a bus in Montreal that will take you from the train station to the airport.

Hopefully you will hear from someone who has actually done this that will have better information for you.

Murphy is right, the train station is much closer to the port than the airport, maybe a 3-5 minute drive, depending on traffic. There is a small train station at Dorval airport in Montreal, it handles commuter trains and the train to Ottawa stops there, not sure about going from there to Quebec. In Québec, be sure to go to Gare du Palais, the downtown station, and not Sainte-Foy, which is west of the city centre.

Hi Kris,

I grew up in Montreal, so I feel I can answer these questions with confidence.

Montreal Central station is right downtown, probably about a 30 minute cab ride to the airport, depending on time of day. There are also shuttle buses than run regularly to Dorval (Pierre Trudeau airport), not very expensive.

If you can get a train direct Quebec - Dorval you'll save some time and money, but miss downtown Montreal, which is well worth a stop.

Have a look here, the Via Rail site for fares and schedules: www.viarail.ca

As far as scenic, I'd have to say not really. The Quebec - Montreal corridor is a busy one and not a lot to see along the way. You will get alongside the St. Lawrence river at times, but its pretty flat along the route.

Bon voyage and say 'Bonjour' to Montreal for me! I'd be happy to answer any Montreal specific questions as well, drop me an email!

Pete

Archived