What lines offer the best value and pricing for solo travelers?

haikou

with the 2012 prices out today for Crystal and the changes which to a non drinker an are not at all positive,including the elimination of ATW credits,I am now looking elsewhere for cruiselines which are better values than Crystal is now going to be,for solo passengers

None are as generous as Crystal. You're out of luck as none of the luxury lines have that low a SS. But I agree with you on some points with regards to the all inclusive and I've found Crystal's fares to have reached insane proportions. If you want luxury, look at Seabourn. They have fares that aren't nearly as high as Crystal, despite their higher single supplement. I now cruise Celebrity, which for me is a lovely line that's a lot less expensive than Crystal. Yes, it's mass market, but I dine in their specialty restaurants every night, and even with that added cost, Celebrity is much less expensive. Plus, I LOVE Celebrity's smoking policy---it's very restrictive, unlike Crystal. Give Celebrity a look. If you don't care about the kind of cabin you get, you will find lots of cruises that are way less than Crystal even with the single supplement. And like I said, their specialty restaurants are very much on par with the main dining room on Crystal.

In the end it isn't the %age of a single supplement that is the issue it its the total out of pocket cost with all expenses considered , that is the bottom line.I have head nice things about Celebrity and a few less about HAL and those lines have lower fares even with single supplements.The same cant be said of Oceania or Azamara really as the ss fee puts them in line with Crystal and I forget if they include airfare or shore excursions as well. I want to be able to occasionally take my daughter with me and crystal is just too high for me to do that :(

Carolyn,

I had a mailing from Azamara with an incredibly low single supplement on European cruises for the next few months. The price included flights, pre-cruise hotel, transfers, gratuities, + AYW on-board credit. I tried Oceania when I received a mailing like this and loved it. (AND Vincenzo was performing). I still have a Crystal cruise booked this year, but if I can squeeze in another 'premium' cruise at half the price, I will. You'll find these small ships are particularly suited to solo passengers. And the open dining means you meet many more people than you do on the same table at a set time.

Ask your travel agent to keep you informed of any late 'deals' with a low single supplement; you might be pleasantly surprised.

Trudi

That is interesting re Vince.I knew he played Regent sometimes but was not aware that he played others as well.I hope you got to see him perform as he is amazing :)

I am sure I can have a good time on many lines but sometimes on this website I hear so many varying viewpoints that I don't do anything re trying another line.The latest 2012 changes have forced me to consider other lines and I am sure it won't be the end of the world!My daughter does not care what line we take-she just wants to go somewhere!

Archived