first timers

Hi there everyone,we are booked on the Pacific Sun for Aug 2011. We are going on the Indonesia cruise from Fremantle(Perth). I was just wondering what we need to pack in the way of clothing,and anything else we may need to include.How much money would we also need .We are not big spenders as we are on a pension. Also can you please explain about gratitues?? I think that is what they are,might have misspelled it.Is it something to do with TIPS??. I know we have $200 on board credit(whatever that means)

I'll wat on your replies and thank you all for a great site, Bonnnie :rolleyes:

Hi there everyone,we are booked on the Pacific Sun for Aug 2011. We are going on the Indonesia cruise from Fremantle(Perth). I was just wondering what we need to pack in the way of clothing,and anything else we may need to include.How much money would we also need .We are not big spenders as we are on a pension. Also can you please explain about gratitues?? I think that is what they are,might have misspelled it.Is it something to do with TIPS??. I know we have $200 on board credit(whatever that means)

I'll wat on your replies and thank you all for a great site, Bonnnie :rolleyes:

Hi Bonnie,

Re the clothing. I normally pack fairly casual clothing, ie three quarter pants and short sleeve tshirt tops for daytime, a good pair of black pants, good pair of white pants with a few good tops to mix and match. Also 1 good dress for the formal nights....but I don't go too formal. Shoes, sneekers/sandshoes for walking, sandals for onboard and 1 pair of good shoes for nights. It is very casual wear during the day, and nighttime similar to going to the local club/restaurant. I take a bit of inexpensive jewellery to dress up outfits, but never good jewellery. Whatever you wear, you will not be out of place, so long as the daytime is casual. Hubby will need a tie for the formal night, suitcoats are optional, some do some don't, few wear tuxedos on the aussie cruises. I always take a shawl or wrap for nights, as the sea air can get coolish, and the aircon is sometimes too cold.

You will be supplied with soap, shampoo, conditioner, towels, beach/pool towels, hairdryer (not a strong blower). Don't forget sunscreen, hat and an umbrella for the tropics. I also take a small cheap digital alarm clock, as the cabins can get quite dark.

Gratuities are usually either added on into the price of the cruise, or suggested to be paid via your onboard account on a daily basis. If you haven't paid them, you may ask for them not to be added to your account via the pursers desk on the first day. I haven't been on the Sun for ages, and am unsure if the grats are still in force. I had an idea that they had been abolished and already included in the fare. Others will know. Tips are an extra thing, and entirely up to the individual. At the end of the cruise, some tip the cabin steward, dining staff etc....and some don't. All drinks are at a cost except the usual coffee, tea, juice at breakfast.

The $200 onboard credit, will already be on your account on arrival. It is a cashless system, with you getting a card, using this card for any purchases, including drinks, shopping etc....and it being swiped and added to your account. We usually check the balance of our account every couple of days. You may put money into it at the pursers desk...much like depositing at a bank. We find this is better. Or you can opt to pay by credit card at end of cruise.

You will have a fantastic time, and will be addicted to cruising after the first day. Enjoy. Oh yes, be prepared to put on some weight, as the food is abundant and delicious.

Jen

Jen you have just about covered everything except you dont have to pay the

Gratuities as they have been included in the fare by p&o and princess australia

with the (obc) onboard credit you have to spend it or lose it but that comes off your account first

Thanks Bob, I couldn't remember re the P&O grats, as haven't been with them for a while. I knew someone would answer correctly and up to date....CC is great for this info, Bonnie. I did want to mention a coule of things to Bonnie though.....suggest you take a powerboard along with you, as the powerpoints are scarce in the cabins. Also have a look at the P&O Australia section on CC...they have heaps of hints to scroll through. You can also see if there is a 'roll call' for your cruise, in the roll call section. This will have only cruisers from your particular cruise, and sometimes it is nice to meet and greet them onboard.

Jen

We are also on the cruise that leaves Fremantle on 30 August.

If you want to do shore tours they have been listed for some time now as they come out on internet 75 days before you sail.

We have booked shore tours because we can't be bothered haggling and want to know that we at least get to see something each port.

These acn be expensive but at least you are assured you get back to the ship on time.

You need to fill in your cruise personaliser first and need your booking number from your travel agent to do that.

You are lucky to have $200 on board credit with your booking- you can use on your bill or shore tours.

We booked through our own travel agent and did not get this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived