Travel insurance for metastatic breast cancer

DH and I hope to take our then to be 19 DD on some extensive cruising next year. Unfortunately I was diagnosed last year with metastatic breast cancer. Despite being free from chemoj for 6 months, travel insurance companies are not fond of me. Has anyone in a similar position any advice for obtaining travel insurance. I am happy for you to email me at jenl@spin.net.au if you would prefer privacy on this matter.

We now always purchase cancel for any reason trip insurance.

We have cancelled 2 trips because of our cat's illness. Refunded in full both times minus cost of insurance and a very very small deductible.

So if they refunded our money because of our cat's illness you should not have a problem.

Purchase your insurance at time of booking will also aid in your refund possibilities.

There was a similar question asked in the travel section of yesterdays Sun-Herald newspaper. The suggestion given there was to try your travel agent for more info or to go through an insurance broker.

The article said , quote "although there are many different travel insurance underwriters, they all use the same pool of medical providers. It is these medical providers who assess whether you are eligible for cover, which is possibly the reason why you are getting the same answer from several different insurers. You could try asking your travel agent to find an insurer or go to an insurance broker - it is their job to find insurance tailored to your needs. You can find a list of insurance brokers at NIBA's needabroker page (niba.com.au/html/need-a-broker.cfm)" end quote.

I hope you are able to find the insurance you need to put your mind at rest while you travel.

If you have a gold mastercard isued by a large bank, then you can get travel insurance as part of the mastercard deal provided you pay for (in this case) your cruise with the CC.

Pre-existing illnesses won't be covered unless you apply for cover and is approved by the insurer.

Unless I'm wrong, the way I figure it is that for anything else that may occur that is unrelated to pre-existing conditions, at least I'm covered.

DH and I hope to take our then to be 19 DD on some extensive cruising next year. Unfortunately I was diagnosed last year with metastatic breast cancer. Despite being free from chemoj for 6 months, travel insurance companies are not fond of me. Has anyone in a similar position any advice for obtaining travel insurance. I am happy for you to email me at jenl@spin.net.au if you would prefer privacy on this matter.

For different reasons we found it difficult to get insurance cover for both of us on a cruise. I suspect it is because the medical charges on board can be very high. Look into the options for all inclusive insurance for your husband and daughter and insurance for yourself that does not cover you for specifed existing conditions.

I have sent you an email... Fiona:)

Hi, did you see my reply on the Celebrity board? I've had to deal with this too and the best I could manage was to get travel insurance where everything was covered other than my preexisting condition. Mine (Crohn's) is unlikely to cause a medical emergency, so I was OK with taking this route. Besides - I couldn't find anything better and I refuse to give up travel altogether. Cancer is much more likely to be on their listed conditions, most likely to be as a "pay extra but we'll cover you", whereas Crohn's is just "we won't cover it no matter how much you pay", as they are more likely to have done the statistics and worked out how much more they need to charge to make a profit.

All I can say is, good luck, and I hope you find someone who will cover you. And if you do, please let us know who it was.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and information. I will look into your ideas. Unfortunately they do not like my cancer because it has spread from the primary sight. I may indeed need to just get protection for everything other than cancer for myself.

Archived