ROTS docking at Cairns.

I must have Alzheimers. :o:eek:

I'm sure I asked this question earlier today - but it has been gobbled up by the forum gremlins. :D

Just wondering, did I read on a thread somewhere a month or so back that the Rhapsody of the Seas was actually able to dock at Cairns instead of anchoring off Yorkey's Knob - or was I imagining it ????? :o:p

I must have Alzheimers. :o:eek:

I'm sure I asked this question earlier today - but it has been gobbled up by the forum gremlins. :D

Just wondering, did I read on a thread somewhere a month or so back that the Rhapsody of the Seas was actually able to dock at Cairns instead of anchoring off Yorkey's Knob - or was I imagining it ????? :o:p

Yes you did post it before and someone replied that ROTS did dock at Cairns and had even done an overnighter there. I noted it because the number of tender ports on up the Qld coast cruises is something that has put us off in the past. A gremlin has also been playing with the CC Story Line. Seems to have happenned about 5pm this afternoon.

Colleen

Yes you did post it before and someone replied that ROTS did dock at Cairns and had even done an overnighter there. I noted it because the number of tender ports on up the Qld coast cruises is something that has put us off in the past. A gremlin has also been playing with the CC Story Line. Seems to have happenned about 5pm this afternoon.

Colleen

Phew !!!!!

Thanks Colleen -I thought I was losing the plot. :D:o

Thats interesting about ROTS docking at Cairns - not the greatest "deep water" port in the world.

I've developed an interest in the ROTS Singapore-Sydney March 31 cruise after reading about it on another thread.

I already had two Singapore-Oz cruises I was considering, but this one looks like its better than both - plus its doing an over-nighter in Cairns on Easter Saturday/Sunday.

Right in the heart of the restaurant area. :);)

Well worth considering methinks. :)

I think the reason why the Rhapsody of the Seas can dock in Cairns is because they have done training on how to dock there, and I think also the Rhapsody of the Seas has two rudders as well, which makes docking there easier.

It would be an interesting exercise to watch. :)

I think the reason why the Rhapsody of the Seas can dock in Cairns is because they have done training on how to dock there, and I think also the Rhapsody of the Seas has two rudders as well, which makes docking there easier.

I am not sure , but I think I read somewhere that it also has something to do with the length of the ship......in that she has enough clearance to turn around in the river.

You probably thought like me Sandy, that the big Alzheimers monster had stepped into your life. :D:p

It is all very odd - some of my posts from yesterday have disappeared completelely, others are still there with replies that means others saw them at the time but none of yesterday's (or today to date) posts appear if I search for all posts by CJM through my profile - which I did as a reality check on my self. I seem to have become a non person on the data base! Damn this will put my posting rate down! I must request a recount from the court of disputed returns.

Colleen

It is all very odd - some of my posts from yesterday have disappeared completelely, others are still there with replies that means others saw them at the time but none of yesterday's (or today to date) posts appear if I search for all posts by CJM through my profile - which I did as a reality check on my self. I seem to have become a non person on the data base! Damn this will put my posting rate down! I must request a recount from the court of disputed returns.

Colleen

Yay Colleen, you stand up for your rights, girl! :D :D :D I'm down one, too. :eek:

I am not sure , but I think I read somewhere that it also has something to do with the length of the ship......in that she has enough clearance to turn around in the river.

Your right David...it was because of the turning circle.Cairns port authority relaxed the rule on the cruise I was on in Dec 09 .first time ROS docked there.it was tight but great...ROS requires 75 metres min to turn or should i say rotate.

Cheers

Col:)

Your right David...it was because of the turning circle.Cairns port authority relaxed the rule on the cruise I was on in Dec 09 .first time ROS docked there.it was tight but great...ROS requires 75 metres min to turn or should i say rotate.

Cheers

The Rhapsody is 290 metres long but If I remember correctly they said the Rhapsody's draft is less than the Pacific Jewel and the Dawn allowing it to access the river, I remember it stirred up a lot of mud when it was turning around.

The Rhapsody is 290 metres long but If I remember correctly they said the Rhapsody's draft is less than the Pacific Jewel and the Dawn allowing it to access the river, I remember it stirred up a lot of mud when it was turning around.

It sure did stir up the mud but it such a narrow shallow channel and with the hugh drop in tide its always muddy....what a great sailaway that night it was fabulous.

Cheers

Col:D

Cheers

We were on that cruise too Col :) I remember the Captain speaking to us about it on a visit to the Bridge. RCCL had been trying forever to get the authority to dock at Cairns.

They would also like to dock at Portside when in Brisbane but apparently P & O have some interest in Portside and are blocking that. That's what we were told anyway.

Jilly:)

They would also like to dock at Portside when in Brisbane but apparently P & O have some interest in Portside and are blocking that. That's what we were told anyway.

The land at Portside , and for a fair way down , is/was owned by P&O. They bought it all up many many years ago for future cargo development.As I understand it, the land was leased out from them for the Portside Project, so P&O get to call the tune there.

We were on that cruise too Col :) I remember the Captain speaking to us about it on a visit to the Bridge. RCCL had been trying forever to get the authority to dock at Cairns.

would the Rhapsody be able to get under the Gateway bridge, when we cruised up there on the Dawn Princess there wasnt much clearance

Archived