Film Question!

I am a first time cruiser who will be using a film camera on the cruise. I am going to take it in my carry-on, but I know X-ray machines will often damage film. What is the best way to avoid this from happening? How do I carry film and keep it from being exposed? Thanks in Advance!

Also if you are really worried about the x-rays and you are using 800, just go to a good photo shop and they should have film bags that will shield the film. I've used them in my check in bags and have not had a problem.

Good Luck

Crusin Gal, this is what you need to do, as a professional photographer I run into this alot, first take all film out of the boxes and the plastic containers, put the film in a ziplock bag carry with your carry-on and hand them to the screener at the check point, always ask if you may do this and you should have no problem. also the faster the film 8oo or higher the more risk of ruining your film,as for me I never shoot more than 200 if I have to hand hold, if I have a tri-pod with me it is always 50 ISO. good luck and shoot away.:)

• 2 weeks later...

TSA web site says you can request them to hand check your film rolls. They may not like it but they will do it. Also, it states for film up to 800 speed. However, please note that is also states that they should not go through more than 5 XRays. You can not request each port or cruise ship to do it. So I take a marker with me and mark how many times they have been through XRays. Since I have the US airports hand check them that gives me 2 extra times. I also ONLY take as many rolls as I think I will use in port. If I don't use it once I get back to my room I put it in the "use on ship" pile. If you come through an XRay when boarding that counts as 1, when leaving the ship thats 2, if have to come through one (like in Mexico & Jamaica) that counts as 3 and then getting back on the ship makes 4!!! So you would only have 1 "safe" time left. Since most rolls are either in a black or clear container I use a silver & black sharpie on them. I had a friend who did not count hers and didn't seem to "want" to believe me. Well she did once she got her photos back, they had a "white" line all through the middle of each and every one of them. NEVER put film in your checked suitcase!!!!

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml

Traveling with Film

• Never place undeveloped film in your checked baggage.
  • Place film in your carry-on baggage* or request a hand inspection.

* Carry-on screening equipment might also damage certain film if the film passes through more than 5 times.

None of the screening equipment - neither the machines used for checked baggage nor those used for carry-on baggage - will affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, slides, videos, photo compact discs, or picture discs.

General use film **

You should remove all film from your checked baggage and place it in your carry-on baggage. The X-ray machine that screens your carry-on baggage at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800.

If the same roll of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage screening equipment (X-ray) more than 5 times.

Archived