Cabo Dolphin Swim

macfam5

As has been reported on these boards previously, the cruise lines contract with the dolpinarium to only let you book through the cruise line. Some people have reported being turned away after the dolphinarium found they were from the cruise line and had booked some other way. This thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1470202 post 18 says the online price was more expensive than the cruise line price. Also since Cabo is a tender port, there is a chance you may not be able to port there at all. If you book through the cruise line and can't make it into the port, the cruise line will refund your money. If you book otherwise, you may not get a refund. You should look at all the possibilities before you make your choice.

Enjoy

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

The cruise ships book all of the spaces for the dolphin swims for the times the shop(s) are in port due to the popularity of the excursions. So, you have to book via the ship to do it.

I also want to add that we have done the Cabo Swim with the Dolphins with Cabo Adventures twice and it is totally worth it. Plus they have a nice sitting area for observers. Do it :)

Although booking through the cruise line might be a bit more expensive, there are several advantages...the most important (IMHO) is that since Cabo is a tendered port, you will (at least with NCL) be afforded priority disembarkation. Without that, it might take up to 2 hours to board a tender. Not only will the participants be given priority, everyone in your party will (we were a party of 9, but only 2 were doing the swim!)

The 1-2 hours that you save by not standing in line can be spent enjoying Cabo itself.

The dolphin swim is a very easy walk from the cruise docks (maybe 200 yards!)

Expensive? Yes, a tad, but well worth it. Others in the party will also be allowed up on the private deck to observe (1.5 flight of stairs)...great view of the dolphins and the Cabo harbor,

You should also be prepared to buy the photos (you will not be allowed to take pictures)...you can buy a CD of pictures for about $100...spendy, but worth it. (The pictures are optional, but they are great to have.)

Have fun, you will love it!

Book thru the ship. It was well worth the price paid and I've convinced my friends to do it too in April when we all cruise together. The online price listed was higher than the cruise ship price offered for me but then they offered a 10% discount by prebooking & paying in advance which brought the price down slightly below the ship price but not worth it to book on your own. I've heard of people having their reservation cancelled or switched to another day when ships weren't in port since you have to identify what hotel you are staying at if you book on your own. The cruise industry generates a lot of revenue for them so they don't want to lose that business just to get a few people working the system to do it on their own. Just pay the ship and enjoy it. I did and I don't regret it at all.

Here is a picture of the dolphin center and where the tender drops you off is on the right side of the picture midway where the 3 white teepee looking tents are so a very short walk.

2567928930040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

He will be able to see you swim but they do not allow you to take your own pictures. They take tons of pictures and sell them to you. Trust me, you will want them all and they are worth it. As you can see from my avatar, they are great shots and worth the money. They sell a cd for $99 that has has 8-10 shots of you (your choice of which ones) plus a bunch of stock photos which is where I got the aerial shot of the dolphin center. The area that spectators sit is located at the ocean side corner under the ramadas. Top right section of the pool picture. If they know there are spectators there for someone, they may put you in a group closest to the spectators. They did for DH & I when our kids were swimming. Here is another few shots of my kids swimming.

2552444050040669306S500x500Q85.jpg

2017689590040669306S500x500Q85.jpg

Wow, great photos indeed. Just a few more questions, some might seem silly! I really want to do this but I am not a strong swimmer...and I am not a "youngster" I am 62 yrs old. I am not afraid of the water with a life vest on. So, do I go ahead and do this adventure? Be truthful!!! Thanks!!

Absolutely. You don't need to be a swimmer at all. The life vest keeps you floating and you don't need to "swim" with the dolphin unless you feel comfortable after seeing others do it. You can stay by the edge of the pool and there is a ledge (where you see the kids kneeling) that you can hold on to. The ledge is really wide/shallow so you can kneel on it when you get your picture taken with the dolphin. When the dolphin is swimming around you, you are floating in the water next to the ledge. When the dolphin kisses you on the cheek is next to the ledge. The only time you go far out into the pool away from the edge is when you swim out so the dolphin can come pick you up and you grab the dorsal fin or pectoral fins while he/she pulls you along. If you don't feel comfy swimming out to the center, you will still have an enjoyable time staying by the edge. Don't worry and do it. You will love it.

No worries Bldlvr! You will not have a problem. I have been in the pool or seen in other pools younger children and also a woman that was there for her 85th birthday. I am also very short and not a good swimmer but had no problems at all and had a great time. You must do it- you will never ever forget it!

Archived