Carmel Mission

kit9172

Besides doing the ships tour does anyone know how to get to the mission from the ship. Can you take a cab and if so how much. The excursion from the ship includes the aquarium which I don't want to do. Thanks for any help.

The ship dock is in Monterey. Carmel is about 10 miles south of this area. You could rent a car, or take a cab (the latter would be fairly expensive) to get to the Mission (which is lovely). The Mission is on the south edge of Carmel and it is a bit of a walk from there into the heart of Carmel where the restaurants and shops are, or to Carmel Beach (don't plan to swim...it can be dangerously rough, but a great walking beach). Depending on how much time you have in port, you could rent a car, drive around the "poor man's 17 mile drive" (Pacific Grove), then add the 17 mile drive (plan 2-3 hours) and take in the Mission prior to going back to the ship. Point Lobos National Seashore is about 5 miles south of Carmel and another great place to visit, esp. if you want to take in some short hikes and to watch sea otters and sea lions.

I would really encourage you to reconsider about the Monterey Aquarium. It is one of the great aquariums in the world, and I plan to spend at least a full day there whenever I am in the area.

Archived