SF restaurant recommendations

Robrph

will be spending one night pre-cruise in San Francisco. Considering the following Fisherman's Wharf restaurants. Anyone know of these? Looking for a good meal, nice view and not exorbitant prices.

Neptune's Palace

Compass Grill

Nick's Lighthouse

9 Fisherman's Grotto

Please feel free to add your favorite. Thanks

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Sorry you'll only have one night - San Francisco is one of the world's truly great food cities. Having said that, I would get away from the wharf if possible. There's nothing wrong with it - but only tourists eat or stay there. Nearby, and I think more interesting options are Butterfly (very near the cruise terminal), anyplace in the spectacularly restored Ferry Building (although it's pricier), the new Americano in the new Hotel Vitale, or farther down the Embarcadero (toward Pacific Bell Park) in South Beach (pleasant bayside walk or quick cab or trolley) at Town's End or Delancey Street.

I'll echo the previous post but make a plea that you DO try the Ferry Building. If you can, try "Slanted Door," one of the top restaurants in the City now, and really worth it- the type of restaurant that when you tell people you ate there, they look envious. Charles Phan is great at his brand of Asian fusion cusine. Reservations WAY in advance.

But if you can't swing the reservation or the time for that meal, make a point of touring the Ferry Building anyway. You can sample cavair, produce, sushi, cheeses, italian deli food, gelato, japanese tea, olive oils, breads, wine, beer, coffee, etc. Just be sure to bring your appetite, and don't forget to enjoy the view!

I also posted a long travelogue on the city for a rollcall that I'm on, and will try to repost here under "San Francisco- one person's suggestions."

If you want to eat at the wharf then the only local place to go is

Scoma's - it is on a dock about 1 block west of fisherman's wharf.

Free Valet parking and great food.

Other choices in SF are in downtown area - Rubicon, Fifth Floor, Boulevard, Postrio, Masa's - all of these are fantastic food and service but expensive.

The one mentioned above, Slanted Door, is Vietnamese It is very good but hard to get reservation for.

Look at http://www.sfgate.com for more info on SF.

Enjoy our city - we love it.

Fisherman's Wharf: go to Scoma's. We love it there. The food is good, it is a fun area for tourists to walk around in, and it is a wonderful place to go if you are staying in the area.

Or go and see Beach Blanket Babylon and have an Italian dinner in the North Beach area. That is fun.

You can also take a cab to Chinatown, walk around and there are a lot of good places to eat.

While in San Francisco a couple of years ago on a land based vacation, a friend recommended a rather unique restaurant....The Stinking Rose. EVERYTHING on the menu includes Garlic. "We season our garlic with food". It was very good...but we happen to like garlic.

ditto on the sorry you only have one night.....

Since you can only have 2 or 3 or maybe 4 meals..... maybe you should decide on what type of food &/or what areas you want to visit & go from there.

I always try to have crab when I'm in town. Being from the midwest we can get shell fish, but it's at a premium.. Dungeness when in season is "to die for", but that just me.....Sushi is wonderful (Chaya's near the Ferry bldg... yum). Stinking Rose is in North Beach (Italian area) & it's a great place to spend several hours. Since I'm from the midwest; I can get great steaks & ethnic food anytime & avoid that.

Enjoy... truly a wonderful city.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a San Franciscan. I would not choose any of them. My suggestion would be Julius' Castle at 1541 Montgomery St. 415/392-2222 if you want to stay near the wharf. Reservations are required, but you can't beat the view or the food. It is on Telegraph Hill (just below Coit Tower) overlooking the bay.

It is a 15 minute walk from Fisherman's Wharf if you know the side streets (actually wooden stair cases built up the hill in some cases). When are you going to be sailing & where will you be staying? I can give you better advice then.

Regards,

Keith

Princendam - 1979 Alaska for Honeymoon ;)

Jubilee - 1989 E Caribbean :(

Royal Odyssey - 1991 Mexico :)

Veendam - 1992 W Caribbean

Royal Odyssey - 1994 Baltic

Symphony - 1996 Alaska

Renessaince 3 - 1998 Tahiti

Norwegian Wind - 1999 Hawaii

Statendam - 2000 British Isles/Norway

Ryndam - 2003 Mexico

will be spending one night pre-cruise in San Francisco. Considering the following Fisherman's Wharf restaurants. Anyone know of these? Looking for a good meal, nice view and not exorbitant prices.

Neptune's Palace

Compass Grill

Nick's Lighthouse

9 Fisherman's Grotto

Please feel free to add your favorite. Thanks

Rob

Archived