South Georgia in Early November

AlwaysOnTheRoad

We are looking at a trip that would take us to South George in early November. We have been there late in the season - early February - and it was great. What kind of animals, birds, and penguins can we expect in early November? Will the young penguins still be in eggs?

I think penguins have already hatched in early november. Here is an example from the blog of MS Fram (Hurtigruten):

http://mvfram.blogspot.com/2011/11/fortunate-day.html (Nov 10th 2011)

or

http://mvfram.blogspot.com/2010/11/day-to-remember.html (same day one year earlier).

I've been told that it is actually better to go in South Georgia early in the season (at least as far as wildlife is concerned). I have planned a trip that will hopefully take me to South Georgia early December 2013.

We are looking at a trip that would take us to South George in early November. We have been there late in the season - early February - and it was great. What kind of animals, birds, and penguins can we expect in early November? Will the young penguins still be in eggs?

In early November, there will be a lot of elephant seals - bulls with their harems, young pups (you may be lucky enough to see a birth), and bulls fighting. There will be some early arrival Antarctic fur seal bulls trying to get the best patch prior to the females arriving, and some juveniles will be resting on the beaches.

The King Penguins have a long breeding cycle, so there will be oakum boys who hatched in the previous year who are yet to fledge. There will be penguins with eggs, and depending on how much snow coverage remains, there may be some hatchlings. There will be a few gentoos around, and if you get down to Cooper Bay, there is a sizeable colony of Chinstrap penguins. There is also a small colony of macaroni penguins and rockhoppers.

There will be wandering albatrosses at Prion Island, but it is a little early in the season for them to have hatched eggs. There may be some courting behaviour, and giant petrels also nest on that island. When I was there in March, the number of South Georgia pipits had increased substantially due to the rat eradication program.

This may also be the last year that you will catch sight of the reindeer herds - they are an introduced species that will be removed as per the rats.

This is actually a good time to go to South Georgia - the Antarctic fur seals have yet to arrive in large numbers, so the landings are less fraught for the crew and the beaches are easier to navigate.

Have to agree with ParisChris.

I was there the first week of Dec and the fur seal pups were just days old - which meant seriously scarey angry mummies and daddies.

But on the plus side the elephant seals are in massive numbers with mums dads and weaners, and the Royals were in their kiwifruit stage so the contrast of their chocolate brown fluffiness alongside their sleek parents - made for brilliant photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived