Shadow

uk1

Just returned from 11 days on Shadow. Few quick notes and updates that may be of interest to fellow campers.

1. DVD players are in all suites.

2. The complimentary wine LIST has been withdrawn through company policy on all ships. They simply will not provide a list under any circumstances but are telling customers “one is being prepared” to fob off customers and avoid complaints. I won’t go into my whole discussion with them about this but let’s just say not having a list for people who enjoy choosing their wine is barmy. It’s like going to a library and being told you have to say what you like and have a book selected for you rather than being allowed to see the shelves. They still provide around 25 complimentary wines and if you object to the policy as much as I do then please complain on your next cruise and register your objection to being “lied to” if this is the excuse you are given.

3. Shadow only had 208 customers on this cruise so the ship felt empty. Mostly Americans most of who were absolutely delightful, and I fell in love with a few ladies who were somewhat older than me but lovely in spirit and humour. But with of course the few noisy and rather thoughtless individuals who were a bit noisy, threw the remnants of one of their dinners out of their suite so that yours truly could enjoy what was left of their crab claws and were just generally loud and flash. Texans!? There also seemed to be more grumpy people on this cruise than before and a few of these I’m ashamed to say were Brits. I have never heard so many whiners and whingers

4. The food was better than adequate but the service in the main restaurant on virtually every occasion was defective with the wrong food being delivered often, courses not being delivered at all. Staff were very inexperienced but management denied this. Changing areas didn’t seem to reduce the problem.

5. I know this sounds daft but I feel sometimes that the service is too over-attentive and sometimes too fussy and bordering on oppressive. Sometimes you want to eat your meal unmolested! I managed countless home-runs in the Terrace, but the whole shebang seems now to be over to the top, with constant table organising whilst your eating, the insistence you use a serviette is on your lap, even if you don’t want one water glasses removed if you don’t use it etc.

6. I find the corridor run over the top. You leave your suite for breakfast.. Everyone says “good morning”. No one has told the staff that you only say “good morning” once each day. They can then just smile as you pass from then on. But you go back after breakfast to get some stuff and they all say “good morning” again. You then leave with your stuff and it’s “good morning” again. This with the constant weather and discussions about where you’ve been yesterday/this morning is past the point of genuine politeness and I know I’ll be in a minority – but I find it just too much it’s just way past normal civility and feels false.

7. Some customers are stealing stuff from the suites and so SS have put a price list up for those that either take things or wish to buy them.

8. Terrace was what they call "elegant casual" on formal resturant nights. However many still seemed to dress up. I just changed the underwear as normal. On several nights the terrace operated with a handful of customers. One night we were 6!

We had a great cruise – the above should be taken in that context and we’re looking forward to our next on Wind in August which I understand has just complete a refit.

Hope this info is of interest.

Jeff

The complimentary wine LIST has been withdrawn through company policy on all ships. They simply will not provide a list under any circumstances

Maybe the sommeliers are trying to protect their trade secrets? :-)

Hi Jeff (I won't say good morning!),

Thanks for the review. I was wondering if the Shadow has had any imrovements in the gym. Our only negative comments in October were directed towards the pitiful lack of decent equipment.

I am troubled by the apparent pilferage that SS is experiencing, but I do think price lists in the cabin are a bit declasse. Is that where they are posted? Honestly, I'm quite surprised by this, as it is apparently not a problem on Seabourn.

Regarding the complimentary wine list, I guess the sommelier will ultimately bear the brunt of having to verbally give the list whenever asked. Regarding poor service in the dining room, it seems inexcusable for such a small passenger ratio.

You haven't mentioned the ports. Were the shore excusrions, if you took any, up to par? Please do tell us a bit about the positive aspects of the cruise itself, when you have a moment.

Thanks!

Denyse

I agree with Denyse that posting a price list is indeed declasse. I'm also surprised that guests stealing items is a problem. That does not reflect well on those guests, but my guess is that incidents of theft are small. I believe they should be handled on a case by case basis

Jeff, thanks so much for your brief review. I, too, would like to hear some more details about your latest Shadow cruise.

--Rich

In response to the request for more details, here goes.

The cruise we took was this one:

http://www.silversea.com/Dest/itin_US_05.asp?VoyageNumber=3512

I think the real highlight for Jean and I was extending the notion I’ve mentioned before of making the “cruise what you want it to be”, which for us is of course different from what everyone or anyone else wants a cruise to be at this end of the spectrum. This can be best explained on several different levels and to that end I’ll break every rule in the book by generalising but in return I’d ask you take the generalisations as just that. The starting point is that I'd love a ship like this for myself but like everyone else can't afford it. I do not see the cruise as having much "eating potential" as I've cooked all of Jean's and my meals every day for the last 30 odd years, and see staying at home as "eating opportunities". So food and meals, and the drink isn't important. It's the experience and quiet and being at sea and having it "all to yourself" that's important.

Because we are Brits, many of the excursions were places that were almost further from the ship than from our home. So for example Florence is up to a couple of hours from both the ship and from the UK. So whereas I’d happily go to Florence for 3 or 4 nights from the UK I wouldn’t dream of taking the coach from the ship, but this is of course a great opportunity for Canadians, Americans, Australians to see somewhere they might not otherwise see etc. But we would go to Lucca, where we might not bother to make a special trip from the UK. So our cruise is a very different cruise from what Americans might do. But several of the ports are places that if you thought about it were perfect “for the day” but staying there for longer might be a mistake. Portofino, Taormina, Portovenere are some examples. Realistically perfect for a day. So our approach of being up early every day, breakfasting early, being on the first tender off, looking around whilst everywhere is quiet and then returning when everyone is just getting off means we get a lot of quiet and privacy and largely a first class cruise ship to ourselves for most of the time. And this approach works perfectly for us.

Secondly, Jean and I enjoy our own company and find sometimes large groups of often fairly or very affluent and sometimes relatively elderly and often successful Americans can sometimes it seems bring out the worst in both them and then perhaps as a result us. Americans (to generalise) are often fairly open, express their views loudly and clearly and sometimes without reticence, whereas Brits are often shyer, quieter and comparatively slower to “come out”.

So it isn’t uncommon for us Brits to be surprised to hear people we’ve never met before at say dinner within 20 minutes of meeting telling us their medical, and financial history, including all recent medical procedures and their results, divorce settlements, business deals etc, whereas (to generalise again) Brits might not talk about these things to people they consider to be quite close and extremely long term friends. This is a generalisation but explains I think some of the differences. So to what might seem to Brits as “boasting” or too familar, on the contrary to Americans who might be perpelexed at our reactions and this all seems quite natural to have pride and share that pride in ones’ own achievements and to be open with strangers.

This explains in part and again as a generalisation why I think that often the two groups often stay fairly polarised and separate on cruises. So what has this got to do with cruises? I think that accepting that there are differences and that these as a set of national traits, although all of us are different from the generalisations, and attempting to respect and enjoy humorously these differences makes the cruise and making friends and understanding each other more fun. This view of the generalisations became firmer on this cruise than it was before.

But the thing about the cruise is that it can be made to be what each of us wants, and I hope that expressing clearly our requirements might encourage others who have similar ideas to realise that it is all possible.

But back to the cruise.

Having had a couple of cruises on Whisper in 2004, we were surprised at how immediately at home we were on Shadow. To us they were identical except Shadow felt a touch more jaded, but this was slight and it’s a few months since we’ve been on Whisper. We really liked Captain Mino Pontillo, who was a large, open friendly man. He loved his team, his ship and liked meeting passengers. We nicknamed him Captain Spaghetti because of his fondness for very large portions of pasta at lunch. He is a lovely man. Although the staff were generally inexperienced, they were a lovely bunch and all seemed desperate to please. We had a lovely stewardess called Renee. She is from New Zealand, was on first impression a little intimidating (she looked a bit like a Maori warrior, but we immediately took a shine to her and as usual insisted she called us Jeff and Jean, and I’d leave her little messages thanking her for looking after us and she left us a lovely note on leaving that we will simply always treasure. Most of the staff are very big hearted indeed and it is incumbent on all of us well off people to differentiate in our minds what these people do for us and how they are compelled and expected to do them with how often enormous their hearts are. Sometimes I heard a person being rude or abrupt or disrespectful to staff and this always pains me greatly and Jean has to sometimes restrain me from making a scene when I see it. “Don’t say anything” she says!

I was so intrigued by the stuff being taken from suites, I am ashamed to say I took out the page from the leather binder! This does make me a bad person I’m afraid, I admit it, so put the cuffs on me.

It says:

“In-suite items for Purchase”

The following staterooms amenities are available for purchase. Any items missing from your suite at your departure will be added to your statement” It then goes on to list items that are evidently taken including hair dryers, clothes brushes, laundry bags umbrellas, shoe shine bags, cottonball container, bathrobe, wooden hangars regular, wooden hangars clip, Kleenex cover, magnifying mirror, binoculars, leather folder, leather stand and feather pillows.

Luckily there was no published price for the page I took!

There is also a new stock control system for drinks put in the room, which I believe is genuinely to help with ordering rather than track consumption - whatever that means!

Anyway, that's chapter 2 which I hope was helpful.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks much for the additional details.

I especially appreciated your observations on some of the differences between Brits and their Colonial Cousins. I don't think I've ever seen it stated so clearly.

My view on taking a page: I've often found myself wanting more written matter on vacation venues. I think it would be smart for SS to assemble a take-away package of newsletters and menus so one could look back on one's cruise fondly. This would make it easeir on guests than trying to keep and arrange all on-ship give-aways.

--Rich

Dear Jeff, Being an American, I quiet agree with all your observations regarding the differences between Brits & Americans. I guess that my husband & I are very strange...we seem to ALWAYS be attracted to the Brits, and have, most fortunately made long lasting relationships with our British buddies. There have been 1 or 2 snobish Brits, but again, most fortunately they are in the minority.

We, as well enjoy doing our own thing, and do not enjoy either a crowded coach or a srtict regimen... I have so very much enjoyed your posts, and seem to agree with most of them. Maybe, someday we will have the opportunity to meet on one of these wonderful ships

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for Chapter 2, which I really enjoyed. It sounds like you and your wife had a very nice cruise. Personally, I think it's pretty hard not to on SS. The crew really do try hard to please, which is always difficult when people, as you note, sail for different reasons and thus have different needs.

I am a bit shocked at the "list" that SS feels it needs to publish in the rooms, but obviously, they have had a problem with theft, and their response under the circumstances is wholly appropriate. Truthfully, I have never heard of anything similar on Seabourn, although I am sure the occasional odd thing disappears. What is more troubliing is the extent to which people will steal things of obvious value, and which are clearly on loan for the duration of the cruise. Taking a paiir of binoculars, a leather stand, feather pillows, umbrella, kleenex cover, etc. etc., is despicable, and it can only lead to the elimination of such niceties. I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Am I to take it that you never made it to the gym??? ;-)

Regards,

Denyse

Denyse,

I was trying to avoid answering the question about the gym. It would be untrue to say I haven't been anywhere near the gym ...... I have, and very nice it is as well ..... I believe. I've been outside it, and I've peeped in. I've even looked through the windows and seen the crew looking intently at themselves in the mirrors. I'm simply one of those placed here to defy any notion of effort or undue speed.

But, the truth is that gyms are unnatural, and I can prove it. If God had intended us to run on one of those moving road contraptions, I'm sure with his love and thoughtfulness, he would have saved us all the money and merely made the world spin a bit faster. Then everyone would have had to run, otherwise we'd spin off when we stopped. He didn't, so I won't defy his wishes.

No good ever came from gyms, believe me.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

LOL!!! You must be related to my father, who swears that every time he gets the urge to exercise, he lies down and waits for it to pass!

Thanks for the chuckle!

Denyse

Thanks Dan and Denyse (what a great couple you sound like you'd make), and I need to say before any rumour (rumor) starts, I am not related as Denyse suggests in any way to her dad. And just to make it clear even further and to avoid any other imerging ideas, I’m not related and have never been related to Denyse's mum. She and I were purely friends and whilst I adore Denyse, and her Matzoh ball making ability, it isn't anything paternal and nothing sinister should be read.

It is true that in the past I might have had the odd "urges" like Denyse's dad, but normally they pass with me forgetting what the urges were intended for, and everone is therefore both relieved and happy that I'll do nothing to cause embarrassment.

There was one other amusing syndrome I noticed was almost becoming a pattern on Shadow which was a "Brit"/American thing. This was the "random ejeculation syndrome" from the Americans that us Brits aren't quite sure how to deal with. Americans it seems to me (us) are happy to throw out a comment at random, to no one in particular in the hope that someone, anyone will pick it up and answer. It doesn't matter who the responder is, and often there's no one around anyway. An example.

I'd be weaving and tottering my way down a corridor to my suite. I'd see someone at the end of the corridor walking towards me. From a distance, with my experience of these things, I could clearly see from the general shape, colour of clothes and other circumstancial but convincing evidence that I was being approached by a teenager. So I’d do what every man does in this situation I pull my tummy in in preparation to pass and impress.

But as the object of my attention and interest became closer, alarm would set in. Things just don’t add up and don’t seem right. The clothes were young say “25”, the hair was younger say “20” but those jowels are they say “70” or “80”? What’s going on here? No the teeth could only be post-brace “18”. So all you could say at this stage is for sure that the lady is, and taking account of all components, somewhere between 18 and 80. Self improvement is one thing, but sending the components in one at a time is bizzarre.

Anyway, as we converge and plan and attempt to signal and indicate to each other who should go to the left and who to the right, a loud noise is emitted. ““Warayougotinnnnerbagggggg”!” “Warayougotinnnnerbagggggg”!”

Clearly the lady and I do not know each other (I‘d remember at least) and we have not yet been formally introduced, ergo the noise could not have been intended for my consumption and therefore no suitable response should be prepared. And as I politely progress forward trying to look interested in my shoes to avoid all possibility of eye contact, it occurs to me. Perhaps it’s like a ships foghorn to alert those that are merely within the vicinity. Should I prepare my own personal noise, perhaps ....... but as I ponder, the noise is repeated. “Warayougotinnnerbagggggg”! “Warayougotinnnerbagggggg”! Intently contnuing to concentrate on my shoe laces as I genuinely fear any form of eye contact could result in me turning to a tower of salt, I try to pass by feigning no alarm or concern, but it inkles me thinking back that the stranger is demanding to know “What have you got in the bag”.

This is a strange request from a stranger at some distance who is not of my acquaintance about the contents of my Marks and Spencer’s supermarket bag containing the Thoughts and Meditations of Marcus Aurelius (AD121 to 180) and my MP3 player and Bose Noise Reduction (they should have been on – I know) headphones. But politeness mandates a suitable response, or the yanks will accuse the Brits of being remote, aloof and impolite again.

“Aurelius’s meditations, MP3 and no noise headphones”

“There’s no need to be rude - I was only asking!”

I guess we were never intended to understand each other.

Hi John, hows it going?? not seen you for weeks!!

Amanda

Hello Amanda, all is OK in sunny London.we have started to go through the usual routine of deciding how many,and which evening dresses my wife takes.We have two formal evenings so i guess that three should be fine (one spare) and I will take two dress suits.How's your shopping going? don't forget the sailors hat !!

PS and the stun gun in case we encounter any children

John

Hi John,

Im afraid I have gone a bit 'overboard' pardon the pun. I have 2 formal gowns, 10 evening/cocktail dresses and several pairs of shoes already- the term 'travelling light' means nothing to me lol.

Talking of hats, I did buy a wonderful wide brimmed sun hat in pink :D

Amanda

Hi John,

Im afraid I have gone a bit 'overboard' pardon the pun. I have 2 formal gowns, 10 evening/cocktail dresses and several pairs of shoes already- the term 'travelling light' means nothing to me lol.

Talking of hats, I did buy a wonderful wide brimmed sun hat in pink :D

Amanda

Hi Amanda, the hat makes a change from spotting someone with a pink carnation

John

uk1 I tried to find you on the Shadow by looking for "Jeff" from the U.K. I found one and left a message. However I posted a report and would like to compare. Yours is excellent. As a Brit. and a Canadian living in Florida, I have found that your comparisons are to the point.

We moved about on our self planned excursions with a very tall, stocky, bald chap from Hampshire. His wife is like mine. Short and blonde.

We had a cruisecritic sign hanging from 611. e-mail imiglaw71@aol.com

Oh im easily spotted in the evenings John, I'll be the one in the twinkly/sparkly dresses and shoes - hence the name! I'll try not to dazzle too much but have your sunglasses at the ready lol

Amanda

Neville,

I'm sorry - I didn't receive any message. Glad you enjoyed the cruise and my post!

No doubt we'll meet on the next one.

Jeff

(ps Glad Amanda and John are getting it together!)

Hi Jeff,

What a busy little bee you have been since your return! Your post is responsible for making me giggle driving to work the other day, im sure people thought i was mad - very entertaining.

Great to see you :)

Amanda

P.S. Would a white stick and dark glasses be useful to avoid eye contact !!

John

Sorry John, missed your question.

But it certainly raises an interesting conundrum. If you were me, and had experienced what I had experieinced, which impairment would you have chosen if forced to choose one. Oral, aural or visual - or which combination!

Glad I caused Amanda to laugh on her way to work. If we can make each other laugh then we all have something to be going on with!

Jeff

Such a wonderful review, and continuing posts! I've just read this last part of it out to my husband, with tears running down my cheeks! Loved the description of the passing in the hallway. Hope we cross paths on a cruise sometime. Your analysis was right on, given that we accept the generaliztions for what they are, and the fact that each individual is just that.

Archived