Big Sur, Carmel, Hwy 1 weekend drive and B&B

jackaubrey2

One of my favorite drives! You will want to pull over into the many turn-offs along Hwy 1 for the views, esp. along the Big Sur coast. If you are driving south from Monterey, I would recommend planning to drive as far south as Cambria to spend the night. Will you have already been in Monterey (aquarium, 17 mile drive, etc.) a while to see Monterey and Carmel? I will assume so. If you do not get to Pt. Lobos State Reserve, you may want to stop there on your way sound. Great short hikes, easy to see sea otters and sea lions here, spectacular views over the ocean and cliffs.

Here is a great resource that gives you the drive with lots of info on the sights on the way: America's Byways, Big Sur

Driving south from Carmel, stop at Nepenthe for lunch. Great hamburgers (as well as other food) and a spectacular view. Sit outside if the weather is fine. Other places to stop include Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

Stay in Cambria either at one of the many hotels/motels on Moonstone Beach Drive, or stay in town at either the Olallieberry Inn, or up the hill at the J. Patrick house (the latter is my favorite). Take time to walk around town to the many galleries and shops. There are a number of good places to eat here. Get up and drive back north 10 miles to San Simeon and take one of the tours at Hearst Castle (be sure to make reservations ahead of time). Take tour #1 if you have never been there before. Plan on some time for the museum too.

Driving south from here, be sure to pull off of Hwy 1 at Morro Bay and drive out to the harbor and see Morro Rock. This is a good place to see surfers too. Some nice shops, and good seafood restaurants around the harbor.

San Luis Obispo is a college town. The downtown area has many nice shops and places to eat and is a great place to walk. I enjoyed staying at the Petit Soleil the last time I was there.

If you are ready for a spa experience, but don't want to spend a lot of money, consider going to Avila Beach and stopping at Avila Hot Springs.

Pismo Beach is south of here. You can take dune buggy rides across the dunes if you want.

If you are into wine, and have seen "Sideways", you can take this wine trail Sideways Map. You can go to Santa Barbara from there.

You might also want to go to Pebble Beach. Go on the 18 mile drive.

It is between Montery and Big Sur.

It has a 5.00 or so fee to drive through. The beaches are beautiful and lots of parking at each little stop.

In Montery me ate at Bubba Gumps it is a couple blocks from Mon. Bay Aqu.

Tables overlooking the ocean. There is a big ping pong table where the waiters play ping pong. They ask you trivia about Forrest Gumps. It was fun. If you go as far as Santa Cruz there is the boardwalk where the long pier has dozens of carnival rides and games.There is also a train that takes you up to the big redwoods. Round trip from the board walk to the trees is about 18.00 or so.

It is the 17 Mile Drive (not 18 mile) and it runs between Monterey and Carmel, not Big Sur. I believe it is $8.50 now.

Santa Cruz and Big Basin State Park and the Roaring Camp railroad are both north of Monterey, not south.

If you are staying in Monterey, I can recommend these bed & breakfast locations:

The Jabberwock

The Green Gables Inn

The Inn at 213 Seventeen Mile Drive

Thank you all for your information. It was very helpful both on this last trip and I'm sure the next.

Jack

I'm going to be driving Hwy 1 south of Monterey and am looking for things to do, recommendations on a romantic (sexy) B&B, and where and how far should I drive. I hear Hwy 1 can be a bit freaky.

:D

Archived