Barbie Experience Review

I wanted to write a review of RCCL's new Barbie Experience since there were very few reviews available before I booked it on our recent cruise. We booked this for our two girls, ages 9 and 11, when we cruised on the Freedom. Upon arrival, in their room each girl had the following on her bed (all Barbie-branded): blanket, silky pillowcase, tote, doll, 3 doll outfits, stateroom door magnet, door hanger, badge, toothbrush kit, and lanyard. They loved all of it!

Also there was the schedule for the week and a personalized invitation to their first event, a Barbie Tea Party. The Tea (really lemonade) was held on Day 2 at 1:00 in the Portofino (one of the private restaurants). Each girl was allowed to invite one guest - my girls chose their grandfather and aunt (but I tagged along at the beginning to take photos). When we arrived at the tea, there was lots of Barbie signage and pink and it was very pretty. The girls brought their dolls and at every event the provided doll stands. We were greeted by two lovely women from the kids club who were with us for every Barbie event. Turns out my girls were the only 2 Barbie girls on board, yet they went ahead with the program anyway! The RCCL website says they can cancel if less than 5 girls sign up so we lucked out since my 11 year old will age of the program in a few months and would have missed her chance. The girls loved the party and stayed there over an hour. The chef had prepared the sweetest tray of pink treats including chocolate covered strawberries and a bunch of pink cupcakes from the onboard cupcake shop. The girls enjoyed spending alone time with their grandfather and aunt and getting to know their Barbie hostesses.

The next event was on Day 4 at 5pm and was a Barbie design workshop held in a private room in the kids club. I think they used blank dresses that they then decorated with pens and glitter. My girls enjoyed this and stayed for over an hour and came back with 3 more outfits for their dolls.

Day 6 was the Barbie Mermaid Dance class, again about 5pm in a private room in the kids club. They were there about 20 minutes-I guess they were quick learners.

The final event, the Barbie "fashion show" was on Day 7 about 5:00 in one of the lounges. This was very special since mine were the only 2 girls participating. All my family traveling with us came to watch as well as a new friend we had made onboard. I don't know what it would have been like with other girls and their families there - probably just as sweet. The stage had been decorated with Barbie backdrops and a pink runway. The girls each came down the runway wearing tutus, boas and shades, while the hostess described them- their favorite things, nicknames, etc. The girls just sparkled! After, they came out together and performed the Mermaid Dance for us and rocked it. We took a bunch of family photos on the stage and with the hostesses.

Overall, we found it to be an awesome experience I don't think my girls will ever forget. My nephews traveling with us said they wanted an "experience" for boys-maybe SpongeBob or Legos. Our experience was probably unusual because my girls did it alone - we really appreciated having the exclusive attention of 2 hostesses and my girls felt very special! I am not sure it was a good "value" it but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for sure! Maybe if you add up all the goodies and events (a private tea, 2 private "babysitting" events and a private event in one of the lounges) it might get close to the $349 but we are glad we did it!

We liked the idea of the Barbie Experience but have a hard time justifying $350. I really like your idea of a SpongeBob or LEGO program for boys. My son would love the LEGO idea for sure! Maybe it will happen someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

We booked Barbie Experience for our 4yr old daughter about 1 week ago over the phone with RCL. We were offered a 30% Discount over the phone which made it much more affordable. We booked over the phone as we could not book online for some reason. Our cruise is out of Singapore in a couple of weeks time. Looking forward to a great cruise. This will be our 2nd cruise with RCL.