Please help me plan a surprise golf date :)

BermudaBound2014

In Bermuda on the Breakaway. Would like to plan a surprise golf date on Friday August 22nd. Our departure isn't until 5 pm so we have a good part of the day.

Boyfriend is avid (and great) golfer. I'm average. We will need to rent equipment. We can play 9 or 18 holes. It looks like Ocean view is the least expensive, but I've read the views aren't really that of an ocean. Tuckers point at $250.00 a player is out of our league. I'd like to keep it around $100.00 a player if possible. I'm also willing to just ride and let him play if you are aware of any courses that allow riders.

We are purchasing a 2 day unlimited ferry/bus pass for Wednesday and Thursday. If we can get to the golf course via the bus pass we will purchase it for Friday also. Otherwise we will skip the pass for Friday and use a cab from the port to the course and back.

Any thoughts?

On an earlier thread last week, someone mentioned this club :

http://www.fairmont.com/southampton-bermuda/golf/

18 holes, par 3.

Late start are called "Sunset" at 67$ including cart. Club rentals are 40$

I played Ocean View and it is very close to the ocean and, yes, only 2 or 3 holes are actually along the ocean and have fantastic view. The other holes are ordinary...remember it is a Government own golf course and we found it was very decent , it is not taken care of like a high-end course...I know water is a precious resource in Bermuda but the grass would have appreciated to be watered...it was so dry...

Have fun !

We had a full day on our first day in Bermuda. We started with a 4 hour private taxi tour from the Dockyard, ended the tour at the Caves, had a mid afternoon lunch at the Swizzle Inn and grabbed a taxi to Ocean View. Our girlfriends continued with the taxi to Hamilton to do some shopping while we golfed. We then took a taxi to Hamilton to meet with the girls and enjoy dinner on Front Street and then we enjoyed Harbor Nights for a little while...back on ship at 9pm..what a day !

So to answer your question, bus #10 out of Hamilton will be the closest to the golf course. It should be a 10 minute ride, but that would require you to walk about half a mile ( if I remember correctly ) on a road with NO sidewalk, quite narrow...

I would use a taxi from Hamilton, it should not be expensive at all.

Have fun !

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up: We ended up golfing Port Royal. We took the bus and asked the driver to let us off at the entrance. It's a long walk up the hill, but a worker offered us a ride. Taxi was $26.00 each way so we saved a bit by using the 3 day pass.

The course was MAGNIFICANT and the people who work there were fabulous. Unfortunately, the greens were heavily sanded. We were told they are in preparation for the Grand Slam of Golf which will be played in October. We ended up with a twilight rate of $88.00 per player with a $50.00 club rental. It will be fun in October when we can watch the pros play the course. Worth every penny :)